Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

1471 posts, 35 members
MareeB
5239 posts
The Govt wants us to spend money (in NZ) to stimulate the economy. What are you thinking of buying when you can shop? I just bought fluffy Pjs and 3 long sleeved winter tees from Postie online :)  #savenzandshophard
tabucutie
1811 posts
Heard about that on the news. I still need some warmer clothes so would probably purchase some of that.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Definitely some winter clothing. I need new slippers because puppy chewed them also I want a robe with a hood.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I got told (and later looked it up to see wtf the person who told me was on) they wanted to give households money to pump back into the economy, which would be great but i see a lot of people lying about it haha

My first purchase will be... dunno! I know what will arrive first though haha hair dye! Pity all the supermarkets are out of the lightening kit i use :'(
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Shaz, it's called a helicopter payment and the finance minister has hinted at it. They've already done it in the States. Everybody would get it but I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
No i dont think so either. Maybe not that great amount anyway haha cos dayum thatd be one expensive day for them!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Well the fear is that people might not even spend it anyway and prefer to hold on to it. But I'm definitely being more conscious about shopping local. Not a big one for takeaways but there is a local one that I'd like to support as they do a lot of work within the community, including feeding the homeless. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I've already bought a desk and ordered it as soon as the level 3 announcement was made. Thank goodness as they're now out of stock. That's my most pressing need right now. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Which is understandable. Im all for free money but i also feel like there will be a catch later on lmao. 

Oh that is good of them!! I dont know if any of ours do, but what a great thing to do!
MareeB
5239 posts
I'm not usually a big shopper but not having the choice has given me the urge! I need new appliances but that can wait.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Shaz the catch will be that the government will have to borrow the money from somewhere to pay for it! 

Yeah they're really great. They make the best brownies which they sell as a charity box. They then use the money from those to make and deliver meals to the homeless once a week. 
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
I didn't shop a lot before (mostly online makeup shopping) but oh how I miss it. I think some of my purchases will be some more winter uniform for my girls and new clothes for them in general. One of my twins is suddenly growing way more than the other! Plus I'll sneak in those new Fenty Cream blushes hehe
Kimrose
1415 posts
I have done a bit of online shopping, some soap and glory supplies, a new book to read and a candle that will come after lockdown.  This is a time where businesses need to look at their websites and see if they are easy to navigate through. Some are much better than others 
trudijoy
8375 posts
I just spent a bunch of $$$ on activewear but still need a few more things -new shoes, warmer tops etc. I have some credit  stored with flight centre so when we can travel again I might go and work from somewhere different for a week, maybe Queenstown. I want a new duvet cover and a few things for the kitchen. And I'll probably buy wine coz, you know, it'd suck if that industry collapsed! We're so good at wine here. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
And yeah the dollar amount I've heard bandied about is $1500 per adult and a smaller amount per child. I feel like they almost need to do this in a way where it's not cash provided, you just ha e to register a special number when you 'purchase' and the govt get charged then it comes off your total. Otherwise people will bank it or invest it or sit on it. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yeah that's the amount I've heard too (about the same as what they're getting in the States). Giving us all a gift card sounds like a good idea. Mecca here we come!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Or a prezi style card to use anywhere lol. If it's that much I'd be tempted to get a new phone tbqh.

man imagine a $1500 Mecca haul. You'd be able to basically get everything you loved
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
My massage lady who I have been going to for donkey's years just text me. Like other self-employed, she is finding it tough. I decided that when she starts up again I will go for one hour massages for awhile, instead of the half hour. My body sure needs it and it's not as if I've been able to spend the money I've saved from not going. Win/win situation for both of us I think.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah I'm going to be booking massages as well, but I have a budget from work that will cover a few of those too
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Massage is a necessary expense for me that I budget for anyway due to various neck injuries. People always say "oh you're lucky going for a massage". Nope. It's sports massage. It is not enjoyable lol.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I don't believe in luck in that way anyway. Being able to afford what you want is not lucky. It's good choices and hard work. 

you can work hard and not be able to afford things, it's true, but I reject the notion that success has anything to do with luck. 

That does sound sore! I was so stressed at my last massage appointment that my back was all knots and I ended up bruising. Need to go more often and stop it getting to that point
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I agree Trudi! Sadly my neck gets to that point after two weeks! And I need an osteopath treatment monthly to keep on top of it all too. So yes, that's what I am looking forward to the most when we finally get down to level 2.
tabucutie
1811 posts
That's such a great initiative soozie. As far as I'm aware there is nothing like that in my local area. We have a community pantry that's been of use which is great.

Such a great idea trudi! Somewhere beautiful with views? Would love to see pics if you do go.

The amounts I saw on the news was $1500 per adult $500 per child.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
One of my best friends owns a cafe and this has hit her hard, it may end up being the end of her business but I hope not. So I'm going to be spending as much as I can to help towards getting her back on her feet.

Its also the little things that can help a business like sharing their business on facebook, placing reviews, buying gift vouchers, buying online if that is an option. I will be doing as much of this as I can for our locals and also other businesses that may not be in Whangarei but can offer a delivery service.

Places like the supermarkets, Kmart, The Warehouse, they will all be able to get back on their feet so my main focus is definitely on our community.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Agreed, the bigger name shops will survive albeit with some losses but it may decimate the smaller individual businesses.  I'm a dine out fan and love reviewing my experiences. Same actually with products, services and everything else under the sun. I want to support local and NZ made. Also maybe a thread could be started so we can share and support. Just an idea. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@tabucutie, Pre-approval from the BR Crew would probably be needed first with regards to a thread along those lines ... Especially for any BR members who own their own small businesses, as commenting in a thread like that would be classed as self-promotion (not usually allowed on BR, but maybe an exception could be made for that one particular thread, just to help small business owners spread word of how they may be operating during this difficult time?)
Kimrose
1415 posts
I do like that idea, supporting our own. I have liked a facebook page which you can advertise your own local business. I am very interested in it and happy to support local.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Is it a local FB page or NZ-wide? I'd be keen to join if you're able to add a link
tabucutie
1811 posts
Silvene: right, that's valid. My bad, hadn't thought of that. That's okay I'll just stick to whatever pops up on socials.
Macs
5351 posts
I'm looking at changing all my skincare to nz made as soon as I pan everything. 

My partner is our designated shopper for groceries . I get him to search new zealand brands first before going for the other brands . 

Ill slowly change homewares etc as we go along to nz brands. 

Kimrose
1415 posts
@Silvene, the Facebook page is called New Zealand  made products. There is all kinds of things on it.

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Wow, I just had a look. There's some amazing stuff on that page! 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thanks, Kimrose
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
Anyone rushing out to get takeaways? I can imagine it will be mental in the drive through today and Uber Eats. I can't say I've missed it (didn't get much before) but a couple of weeks ago I definitely wanted some hangover KFC! I'll hold off I think...
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
We don't have any takeaways where I live so none for me! I saw on stuff that the queues were crazy at 5am!
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
5am?! I just don't get people sometimes
shazatron101
5112 posts
I have now bought new bulbs for my garden and a rain cover so i wont feel so bad taking the small one out while its windy bahahaha
shazatron101
5112 posts
Oh and calamine lotion cos those damn dirty mosquitos continue to feast on my flesh while I'm trying to be productive! Grrr!!! Im so itchy!!!!!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@Shazatron, have you tried Goodbye Sandfly Repellent & Soother? I have the one in the dropper bottle and it's the only product that stops our mozzies from eating me. I saw the Goodbye range in my local FourSquare two weeks ago ... and they're a local NZ company.  :)
tabucutie
1811 posts
Ordered B K through the app. Waited 50 mins in the drive thru to get it. Ordered hells pizza for dinner delivery but wasn't hungry due to late lunch. Not to worry, husband cleared it by himself.

Still waiting on a muffin tin to be delivered, but most  looking to getting weight scales.
MareeB
5239 posts
Shaz years ago someone told me Vit b deterred insects so to drink beer (based on the theory that is creates an unpleasant scent on the skin that insects can detect). I reckon it probably works, at least the more you drink the less you care!
MareeB
5239 posts
Guilty confession = just ordered easter eggs online! can't wait to get them!!!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Enjoy your Easter eggs when they arrive Maree :-) My big fluffy robe arrived yesterday and it is so cozy. I've started keto again so need to order some konjac noodles and a few other bits and pieces. I think I went a bit nuts with eating during lockdown....oops
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
Congrats on starting keto again! Didn't mind those noodles, but couldn't deal with the rice ... Smelt like rotten fish! 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Yay Easter Eggs! I got a couple more myself as I couldn't resist the sale price. Enjoy Maree!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Omg easter eggs... im not going to pass that up haha especially if theres nothing over $5!!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I actually haven't tried the rice as I use cauliflower but I definitely give the noodles a good rinse to get rid of the rank smell lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm a big fan of the shirataki (konjac) noodles. It's a big diet trend in japan, I eat them in summer with a dressing, cold meat and salad veges. So good. 

but yeah  they smell funnnnnnnnky 
MareeB
5239 posts
I almost ordered some more. I go crazy over easter eggs ...
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Lol Maree! I just ordered some for my niece and nephew, so that will be a nice suprise for them :-)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!