Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Pros and Cons of microdermabrasion

8 posts, 7 members
Kimrose
1419 posts
Hi ladies, I had a wonderful facial on Saturday and the therapist suggested I would benefit from some microdermabrasion sessions. She did a spot on my face and I have noticed a difference. I was wondering how long a treatment lasts, as in how long did you notice the results. How often did you have a treatment.

MareeB
5242 posts
I wouldn't mind trying it too Kim.
Koni
444 posts
Hi Kim, when I first started getting them my skin felt and looked rejuvenated for a good month.  It's a costly treatment particularly because the microdermabrasion part only takes a few minutes and the rest is just the facial.  I find them relaxing, safe for my sensitive skin and allows me to make good use of my skincare products because I feel they actually penetrate the skin rather than just sit on the surface.

I've been getting them for almost a year and I no longer feel that I have to have them every month because the results seem to last longer (but will vary for each person) so I can easily push out the visits to every six weeks or 2 months.  My device doesn't allow me to link but if you put the words "Caci Microdermabrasion" into the BR search box it'll bring up past BR threads that may hopefully help you :-)
I purchased a great deal and got 3 of the treatments for Cheaper from online site treat me or grab one to try it out I didn't really notice much difference and would bother again :(
tannygirl
3392 posts
  I'm not an expert on the topic but this is my experience. I had two microdermabrasion treatments and peels done a couple years ago. I found a really good deal and it was at a skin/cosmetic surgery clinic so I did trust that I would be in good hands. The beauty therapist did a great job but I wouldn't call it relaxing in comparison to getting a massage or relaxing facial or spa bath because the microdermabrasion itself feels like a scratchy cat's tongue all over your face and then when your skin is sensitive from that you get a peel with acids on your face which stings and burns. Despite that I did get nice smooth skin from that visit that lasted about three weeks.
     I went back for the second treatment about a month to six weeks later. I liked the results but if I was after lightening hypigmentation or smoothing out acne scars she told me I would've needed a series of treatments to see any slight improvement. If I had the money to have them done regularly I would, but if you are after lightening spots laser might be a better option and as far as smooth skin goes you can get some pretty good results investing in a really good quality peel which might cost a bit initially but is cheaper than ongoing microderm sessions. If you want to maintain that glow and cut back on microderm you can probably achieve that with a peel. I was given a sample tube of a peel during my appointment and I used it about six weeks after my second treatment and it brought the glow back. 
Ringy
825 posts
I've had micro dermabrasion a few times. I don't have any particular skin issues though so I didn't feel it did a lot for me. I would do it again, but just because I like doing those sorts of things. Is make sure you go to a reputable place- you can buy machines online so it's almost like any old person could just decide to do it. It's not worth getting permanent damage just to save a few bucks. 
Kimrose
1419 posts
Wow, thanks ladies for sharing your experiences with me. I did get offered a good deal from where I got my facial so I consider it. I think we are very lucky today with all the things we can try and do, lucky us!
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Like the others said, its effectively a really deep exfoliating treatment, not very relaxing for most people as it's basically sandblasting the dead skin from your face (lol lovely) and to see long term noticable effects you would need a course of treatment (for things like pigmentation, scarring etc)
And yes definitely go with someone who can show you their qualifications! The beauty industry is about to get a rev up about that, there's a case at the moment of someone doing some work where they didn't know what they were doing and the media has just got hold of it. 
People think that because they can buy a machine for a couple of hundred bucks on ebay and watch a youtube video they can make money from it :( 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!