Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Professional Make up for Wedding

12 posts, 8 members
Hey everyone, in 5 weeks time I am getting married in Rarotonga. After reading on BR earlier, "What were they thinking? Is this the worst idea ever" - it made me think about who will be doing my makeup for the big day and what they'll use. We are staying at an amazing Resort and amongst other things, our Wedding Planner has organised Hair/Make up for everyone.  I am a little nervous now, not knowing what to expect when having someone apply my make up. I will be asking questions now but any advice on what is acceptable practise or what to expect - ie: clean tools etc..??  Many thanks  :-) x
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
First off congrats :)

When I’ve had professional make up done, they’re always been good - clean equipment, all the essentials etc 
Imoshen
461 posts
Congratulations!  You'll have a wonderful time.

My suggestion is to have a trial done before the day so you can see how you will expect to look before your big day.  That way you can let her know what you like/dislike, changes you think you could have her make and see how your skin reacts to everything.  
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Congratulations! 

Some make-up artists use a new, clean set of brushes for each client, some use one set (as it saves time) but clean the brushes with an anti-bacterial / disinfectant alcohol-based spray-on brush cleaner between persons.  Both ways is acceptable, just make sure that if one set of brushes is being used that they are cleaned between each person, and that lipsticks are wiped on a tissue (if she/he is not using a palette knife to scrape a small amount off the bullet before applying with a lip brush, which they should be doing in the first place, and not applying straight from the tube). Disposable mascara wands should be used on each person, with no double-dipping into the tube, if the artist needs more, she should be getting a clean disposable wand to dip into the tube and the used one should be thrown away. Eyeliners and lip liners need to be sharpened after each use, and this should be done when she’s / he’s cleaning brushes between each person’s make-up application.

Usually, a metal or plastic palette knife is used to pick up a small amount of cream or liquid product (eg foundation, concealer, etc) before applying it to someone’s skin, so that the product in the main tub, tube, stick, or bullet never comes into direct contact with a client’s skin, eliminating the risk of contamination.

However, If you’re worried about any if this, you should be able to ask the make-up artist what they do or how they sanitise everything.  If you still don’t like the idea of “sharing” make-up, take your own eyeliner pencils (brown, black and white) or liquid eyeliner, favourite lipstick shade, matching lip liner and mascara (preferably waterproof for a wedding, in black) with you and ask them to use those items on you when they’re doing your make-up.  It shouldn’t be a problem, but they will have to create the rest of your look with their products and you’ll need the lipstick later for touch-ups later in the day. 

Also ask the wedding planner for the make-up artists name, so you can Google them, find a website or social media page and see what their previous work looks like, and if anyone left reviews. 

I hope this answers the queries you had in mind.  
Thank you all so much for your helpful responses. I will definitely be asking our Wedding Planner some further questions. And also at my make up trial :-) x
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Omg congratulations hun, super super happy for you eek xxxxx
Thanks Sarah!  It's an exciting time for sure :-)  Hope you are well. x
Kimrose
1419 posts
An island wedding, so exciting, would love to see some photos of your big day. Congratulations xx
Cheers chick.  No doubt there'll be some Wedding pics floating about after. x
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yay exciting! I wanna go there so badly <3 will be a gorgeous wedding!

Macs
5351 posts
Omg ! Congrats , I’m so happy for you . 

Id take my own staples Just in case . I’m sure you will be taken care for . 

Lots of Love xxxx
Thanks Macs and Trudi.  You'll know doubt see a sneaky pic or two on FB.  Keep and eye out.  We can't wait. xoxo

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!