Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Products you want to love but can't

35 posts, 28 members
chikoboo
3402 posts
I so hope I am not alone here, but do you get sucked into a hype or recommendation to get excited to the point of bursting for that product, only to get it and find it fails short of living up to your dreams?   Isn't it the most heartbreaking feeling! and do you make adjustments for it and try to make it work.  Have you put off writing a review for it because you are forever sitting on the fence, in one hand it doesn't do what it says, but on the other hand it smells nice, or has a nice colour?

I have a few products like this, and shamelessly sometimes it is due to the packaging, it's so cute but the product is meh!  

Personally I am having this confliction with LASplash lipsticks, their smitten lip mousse formula is amazing, but their studioshine just makes my lips dry and the product feels weird on my lips, which then flakes off!  but can I get rid of them, no! why? because I love the colours far too much.   Today I am wearing Faline a gorgeous purple but it is driving me insane on, have just applied some Trilogy everything balm over top which has helped. 
Danni
324 posts
I often get sucked into hypes (Not all but guilty of quite a few) recently it was the LA Girl Pro conceal and its not that I want to love it but can't its more the fact of trying it being like like "Everyone was going mad over this because?". They set such a high expectation for products that when I try I have amazing hopes for the product and it doesn't always deliver! One product I wanted to love but couldn't was the ELF eyebrow kit. 
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Classic perfumes; those names everyone raves about like Chanel No.5 for example. They're ok, but I don't love them.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I definitely put off writing reviews on products I want to love, but don't. Half the time this is a good thing though, as I then eventually figure out a way to make it work for me. For this reason I very rarely write a review without using the product for a good few months.

Most recent on my 'want to love but can't' list is the Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo foundation, I think it's because I don't quite have the right shade so it washes me out a little. I'm yet to figure out which of my foundations will mix well with it to liven up the colour a little, but I really hope I can make it work!
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Yes!!!
A wee trick or tip for that one Kirsty, apply it to almost a totally squeezed out applicator. Apply it all over so it's a slight tint to the lips, then do it again. 2 or 3 very very thin layers stay better. I absolutely love all of my ones. I definitely don't need more as I have around 15, but heck I know I'll be buying way more
shazatron101
5112 posts
Danni, I'm the same with the pro conceal stuff. Mines all watery, so I think its gone bad, but I'm like... Really? Another is the Australis Contour kit - I don't hate it, but I find I don't use it as often as I should and only 1 of the contour colors looks nice on me, and the setting powders are just... meh. 
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
So far I'm not liking L'Oreal True Match foundation, it's sticking to my dry patches like crazy *sigh* I'm going to keep trying it in different ways to see if I can end up loving it, but it's definitely a disappointment so far. I also didn't love the Maybelline gel liner that everyone's crazy about but I'll keep trying it anyway because I want to love it. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Garnier micellar. The more I use it, the more I dislike it! I've decided to use it when I'm away just to use it up. But it wouldn't even get my mascara off last night so ended up using my usual cleanser of which I had a tiny bit on me. And it wastes soooooo much cotton wool. So to me, it's not even any good as a pre-cleanse, when my favourite cleanser (Lush Ultrabland plus a hot flannel) will get everything off first go. 

Time to write a review on this one me thinks. 
Macs
5351 posts
Funny that because I have been wanting to try that all those products you guys have mentioned. One of them was the Fiji scrub from the Beauty vault and the other was the Soda and Co Lemonade scrub. I'm trying my best to like them but it's not happening for me. I don't like writing a bad review either.
chloednz
217 posts
For me currently its the Maybelline dream wonder fluid touch foundation- had heard so many great things about how it looks amazing and feels like nothings on your skin. For me however it settles weird on any dry patches and when I apply concealer over top it seems to drag the foundation below it, and leave me with holes in my foundation- the weirdest thing! Will keep perservering though and see if I can get it to work
chikoboo
3402 posts
Macs you babe! I'm loving the new profile pic (sorry if I am a little late to the game on that one)   I hear you when you say you don't want to write a bad a review, but remember there is no thing as a "bad" review, only an honest one.  It took me probably the whole first year here on BR to be confortable in writing those reviews where you have had a less than enjoyable experience.  Once you realise that writing the negative ones help others and can in some cases help the brands improve their products it gets better, plus I always try my hardest to find at least one positive in a product, even if it is that it can be re-purposed for something else, or that the design of the packaging is excellent. 
chikoboo
3402 posts
I've tried that Ong it is just an odd texture on my lips, it is feeling better when I pop a balm or gloss over it but it just feels like feathers on my lips if I don't do that.  Could be worse things in life to be complaining about though so I can live with it just won't be getting anymore of the studioshine ones =)
Baylee3180
16 posts
I'm glad you said that  Chikoboo, I have a lot of products I just can't review because I have nothing good to say about them, and I don't want to be slandering their products just because they didn't sit well with me :/.

Also products I really wanted to love but didn't, L'Oreal skin perfection range.
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
For me it's the bossy sugar scrubs :( I love Bossy but the scrubs just leave me squeaky like soap do
astylecollector
204 posts
Mine is the Garnier Micellar Water. It just doesn't work on me and I've tried and tried to like it but I really don't. The only upside is that it's ok at cleaning brushes.
Kaitlyn343
268 posts
I really want to love the Hurraw lip balms, I'm trying to switch over to using only natural products and lip balm is something I use ALOT. I do really like them but there is just something about them and I find Blistex more moisturising and I apply them more often. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Have to agree with you too Kaitlyn haha something about Hurraw rubs me the wrong way. I'm using one now just to use it up, but I wouldn't buy it again!
Rezee
1964 posts
Probably the nyx jumbo pencils, they crease so badly on me!
im sure there are heaps of other things but everyone seems to rave about the nyx pencils and I cant get them to work as well.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I agree - honest reviews are best.  For me that means showing WHY something hasn't worked for me and suggesting a group of people who may get a better result, if you know.

Eg this totally didn't work for my oily skin but may have a better effect on those who need more moisture in their skin due to it being dry.

To me, negative/bad reviews are only those that state things like 'this is an awful product.  I hate it and my advice to you is to not buy it'.  If you've been clear and honest then it's still a good review :)
Macs
5351 posts
Oh thank you chikoboo. Yeah I needed to udpdate my profile pic. As for the bad reviews, you guys are right being honest is still a good review.
MareeB
5239 posts
For me it was the Soultime moisturiser. I LOVE the serum, so was really excited about using the moisturiser, but it was not good - gritty and smelly. It almost put me off using the remaining serum! It's a shame because I rarely buy a product and find I don't like it.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I cannot think of anything! Most of the time if I don't like something I just get rid of it. No point having it taking up physical and mental space.
Mila
1209 posts
I sit on the fence with reviews like this to....but I definately think its always best to be honest and just say I guess why its not working for you....

Sarah its such a shame you dont love the Kat Von D Lock It - this is my favourite at the moment if i've after a full never move coverage I was really lucky with the shade I got I think it matched me perfect but I am super duper fair :) ....
Hope you can find a way to make it work for you....

I really wanted to love the Benetints more than I did...I still use them but I feel my money probably would have been spent better elsewhere -   I bought the posie tint aswell for some reason

pintsize
1072 posts
Products you are passionate about either which way are easy to write about but when you get ones that like you mention above.. you want to love but just urgh can't... it really does make it harder to do.

I like a good fair review though... one that says the truth... that it wasn't the ideal product, but one that also say WHY! and that you gave it a fair go... I tried something once and I really didn't like it, then a few weeks later tried it again and thought ok, this could work... started to really like it but now I am back to square one again where it just does nothing for me.... that becomes the hardest type to write about in my opinion.

Be truthful and explain your reasons (and give things a fair trial) and that way others can form their own opinion before making a decision to buy or not.

Sorry I went off on a tangent lol

I think I have had a couple of reviews that have gone against the majority... but hey this isn't a one size fits all industry.

xx
RamblingRose
1280 posts
L'Oreal Micellar Water.  I bought it when there was this hype about micellar water and I couldn't find the Garnier one.  It's the first (and last) time I've fallen for hype around a product.  I no longer use this on my face but use it to clean my beauty blender!
kirstyj
1732 posts
I love hype! I always seem to get sucked into it, but that is part of the fun isn't it? :)

BUT I hate being that person when there is heaps of hype around a product and then you just don't like it. That always seems to be the way for me. EG the MAC fix+ and the Frank Coffee Scrubs... they just don't do it for me.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Oh kirstj, Noooooo! I just brought the max fix plus. I have to say, it sucks when you get sucked into the hype around products, but its so fun trying new products so either way, im still happy, and when you find that product that works amazing for you, it makes it all worth it
kirstyj
1732 posts
Don't worry BinaryBeauty lots of people love it! I just found the spray to be really clunky and not as smooth as I'd like and it didn't really do anything for my skin... But the hype is there for a reason it does work for some people.
Macs
5351 posts
Oh sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy Mac Fix. That is on my dream list too.
MissAimeeJean
267 posts
I bought Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation about a year ago because I had heard so many great reviews about it. I was colour matched in store and since buying it I just wasnt convinced it was as great as everyone had said. It was so expensive so I wore it anyway (it didnt look completely disasterous, just not worth the money and didnt live up to my expectations). 
Macs
5351 posts
Youve made a good point there pintsize. I will remember what you've said when I'm writing my next review. Estee Lauder is on my dream list, but I have heard mixed results.
sam_clarkson
205 posts
shaz and kaitlyn have you tried the sierra bees lip balm from I herb, I LOVE mine so mmuch (especially the pomengranete one) I always have one with me, first time I have used multiples up of the same lipbalm. I have a hurraw one also but the sierra bees I love much much more
Jesse
745 posts
I agree, honest, negative reviews can be very helpful. I've read ones of products I wanted to try then seen they didn't work for someone with a similar skin type so changed my mind.

Products that I wanted to love but didn't include Oasis BB cream (didn't suit my skin), Estee Lauder Double Wear (broke me out) and Benefit Porefessional (nice enough but not worth the hype).
janini9
341 posts
I am really disappointed with my Anastasia Beverly Hills liquid lipsticks and glosses. I bought  quite a few and was so excited when they arrived. Trialling the colours, I was even more excited as they were vibrant and seemed very pigmented. However, they feather like crazy and just don't last. I've tried an initial application, wiping off and re layering and I end up with a messy mouth that looks if I've been sucking on beet root and gotten the juice everywhere! 
Awesome colours, but rotten formula.
They are being donated to the teenagers who are changing their lip colours twenty times a day ;)
I've been really disappointed with hair products, wish they would just do what they say :(

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!