Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Products you own, but aren't sure you understand!

24 posts, 14 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
So I'm panning my collection right down which means some of the things I bought then set aside are needing to be used. Some of them I really am not sure I understand!

So this thread is for people to mention things they already own, but don't use because they're really not sure, and for others to suggest ways to love the product in question.

My 'not sure' product is Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder. I impulse bought a mini of this in Sydney last May and it's been sitting around gathering dust for almost a year.
kirstyj
1732 posts
Which shade do you have Trudi?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Dim light I think, I'll check when I'm home
trudijoy
8375 posts
yup, Dim Light
shazatron101
5112 posts
The Too Faced absolutely invisible powder candle light glow... thing. I was catfished into buying it because "it puts a filter on my face" and "it gives me flawless skin" and judging from their photos** it did. But I just don't get it. Is it a highlighter? a setting powder? I just... why.

** i didn't realize at the time but the photos of the people wearing said product were filtered to filth and I was dumb and assumed it was their natural skin, not the beauty filter on the phones selfie camera hahahahaha derp. OHHH how foolish I was. I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise.
trudijoy
8375 posts
haha Shaz I was the same with that, and now i just use it on my cheekbones and i love it there
kirstyj
1732 posts
Dim Light you can use as an all over makeup setting powder - just use a fluffy brush, or sometimes I use a more dense brush and use it as a highlight powder. That is partly why I love them as they are good multi-tasking product.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Okay I'll try it both ways... it's so pretty and I want to like it :) thanks!
JessB
219 posts
This is such a good idea for a thread Trudi. Not sure if this fits, but my main not-sure-I-understand issues occur with a couple of products that should be simple to use (like a smokey eye crayon I've reviewed). First I just think the product is terrible, and then I look on BR and see heaps of people love it. I feel like I've messed a special memo about how to apply it or something. Might just be practice, but can't help thinking there's a trick to it.
Macs
5351 posts
I just tried a smoky crayon this year Jess. First time trying it made a hell of a mess. I been practising and I've got the hang of it. 

Oh I recently recieved a gel liner in pot. Oh it keeps clumping up. I can't quite get it to work without clumping.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I don't think there is any products I own that I don't understand. I tend to buy products that I know what I'm using it for. However in the past I used to buy skin care willy nilly and never understand how it worked or how to use it
KiwiLass
174 posts
I've never bought a contouring or strobing kit for this very reason - wouldn't have a clue how to use it properly. However, I did get a free mini Becca highlighting powder with the primer, about 18 months ago, and was initially skeptical as to the point of it. O.M.G. Amazing. I've been a highlighter addict ever since, but have yet to find one as lovely as the hideously expensive Becca one, sadly. Still not sure I'm using it as it's meant to be used, but it looks great on the top of the cheekbones.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Becca highlighter is amaaaaze kiwilass! <3

Kirsty I set my face with ambient powder today, quite liked it!
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I have a gel eyeliner pot collecting dust somewhere. When I got a gel pencil I ditched the gel pot pretty quickly.
MareeB
5241 posts
I couldn't make gel eyeliner work for me!!
shazatron101
5112 posts
I have a feeling you're supposed to use a wet brush with potted gel liner, though I threw mine out before I could try it!
MissQT
1547 posts
Hmm I've got a pot of gel liner that is unopened. I'll watch out for some tips.
Qweenkaren
313 posts
Now I understand why my gel eyeliner works best after cleaning the brush! *penny-dropped* I don't think I have any products I don't know what to do with... but there are several I could do better.
I've got a highlighter I've only used about 1.5 times because I just don't really know what I'm doing with contouring and highlighting!
Eek, sorry about the double post!
trudijoy
8375 posts
sarahella i go on the top of my cheekbones, and my eyelids. I don't bother much with contouring, just a wee bit of bronzer if i can be bothered.
Imoshen
461 posts
I did some google karate and came up with this brush to apply highlighter.  It really works!  The quality of the brush is meh but the size, shape and distribution of powder is pretty good ie just enough but not over powering.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i use this one on highlighter :)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
This might seem like a weird one but Lush Goth Fairy, I just don't get it.  It's supposed to be a massage bar, but it is so hard to work with, all the other massage bars from Lush, just melt once your skin has come into contact with it this one just seems so super dry and not user friendly.

And what is up with all that glitter, it was everywhere. I nearly looked just as shimmary as Robert Patterson in the Twilight movies lol (not the male part though he he he).  Now a little bit of shimmer is nice but the amount of glitter is just mental. It was so hard to get it off and it was all over my pjs and in the bed (I like to use massage bars before bed as I find they help me sleep better).

Omg, am I just getting old and being un-fun (I know that is not a word but it is nearly 10 at night and my brain is like a fried egg right now)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!