Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

products with magic powers

35 posts, 15 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
So yesterday, I got mistaken for a teenager and asked for ID to prove I was over 18 so I could buy $2 worth of instant kiwis.  I'll be 37 in Feb.

Being the makeup fan that I am I started thinking about what was on my face that had taken twenty years off!

Glamglow Glowstarter topped with a new sheer MAC foundation? The L'oreal root spray hiding my greys?

No idea but it got me thinking - what do you feel is a 'magic' product for you?

I think my ultimate HG one - Victoria's Secret Fresh Faced brightening gel cream - has been discontinued, but this glow starter is a fabulous (albeit more expensive) replacement!
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Hourglass Ambient products - really good for temporarily blurring and diminishing the look of pores and giving a glow. It's expensive but so worth it. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
finallllyyyyy I can comment on stuff! My holy grail is the LA Girl concealer that covers the bags under my eyes!!!
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Ooh, great thread. Possibly the combination of my Ren cleanser and Bestow beauty oil as they seem to be the reason for my clear skin - magic! 
MareeB
5241 posts
I love Bestow Beauty Oil - it made my skin glow too.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Kate Somerville Exfoliakate Intensive deserves a mention. Expensive but in the space of a few minutes gets your skin baby soft and smooth. Definitely worth the investment if you can get the small tube. 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Wow I'd be so happy if thery asked me for ID at 36! I love the marc jacobs foundation, it makes my skin look flawless even up close. And it's full coverage with no cakiness at all!
MareeB
5241 posts
Is it good for mature skin tannygirl?
tannygirl
3392 posts
I definitely think so Maree. If your skin can handle some tingling and a bit of burning for a couple minutes then go for it. 
MareeB
5241 posts
Hahaha that sounds perfectly acceptable!
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I don't think I've found any ultimate HG products yet. But what a compliment.
trudijoy
8375 posts
charmmy-kitty and it'sclearascrystal - I get ID"d reasonably regulaly buying alcohol but this was def the first time buying instant kiwis since i was about 21 that i've been ID'd!
Macs
5351 posts
Definately my Mac Prolongwear Foundation and Anastasia Prism pallette . Seems to be the one that stuns people when I wear it. Get the most compliments with these two on . 
MareeB
5241 posts
My Max Factor foundation is pretty glowy!
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I'd also say that the Ordinary's Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion is really fantastic for smoothing out your skin and softening it. Most products that resurface your skin tingle or burn a bit this one is so gentle, I use it on nights that I do chemical exfoliation because it doesn't irritate my skin even when it's a bit more vunerable. And it's so cheap compared to other retinols and retinoids on the market that charge over 100 bucks for an ounce. This is only like 15-22 bucks for an ounce. It layers well with other products and the one ounce I've had has lasted me over four months. 
Julieal
915 posts
Still looking for that majic product -What a nice compliment
Julieal
915 posts
Still looking for that majic product -What a nice compliment
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
What a nice compliment.  I get ID'd a lot too Trudi!  My most recent was instant kiwi tickets I bought for Shazatron lol.  I'd have to say for me, my Anastasia Dip Brow would have to be my magic holy grail product.  I don't have much eyebrows due to a highschool party incident so this saves me from being embarrassed and hating on my eyebrows.  It's so creamy and lasts all day long, even after a shower. 
swamphen
73 posts
Always lovely to get asked for ID this side of 30 eh!!
My magic at the moment is dermacol.  I am in love
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I agree with Hourglass ambient lighting palette. I also love Ren's glycolactic mask. It's been a very long time since I've been IDed though lol.
tannygirl
3392 posts
The Ordinary's Glycolic Toning Solution deserves a mention after a few uses you really notice your skin is smoother and softer and more radiant. Huge 240ml bottle for about 14-20 something bucks. Not much tingling, no peeling, easy to fit into your routine a couple times a week. Other acid toners charge two, three times more less than half the ammount.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I need to give that one a go Tannygirl. Pixi Glow is my favourite glycolic toner that I've tried so far. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
People say it's a good dupe for Pixiglow Tonic. It was out of stock for ages and now it's back in stock at Beautylish. 
alikat
423 posts
people keep thinking I'm under 30 when I'm very much the wrong side of 30, and I cannot live without my Ordinary AHA Peel. That has almost removed a deep acne scar and general acne scaring around my jawline.

Hourglass products for that lit from within glow.

Mac Ruby Woo. I love that so much I named my car after the shade. Perfect red. End of. EVERYONE comments on how good it looks.

I need to try that Pixi Glow Tonic. I might just order some now...

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I just went to order some of the toner from beautylish and of course I  don't want to pay for shipping. So I added the serum foundation, buffet and the peel, just over $37us so free shipping. Then I went to confirm pay and it had jumped to $80 as they had added taxes etc! Is that usual? I took the buffet and peel out of my cart and the taxes have gone back to $0. Is this what normally happen Tannygirl?
Imoshen
461 posts
I have just done a dummy "order" of those products and it has not added any Duties or Taxes to my "order".  Have you signed in before adding those things to your cart?

Off to close that page incase I accidentally hit "Confirm".
tannygirl
3392 posts
  That's not normal Soozie. The only time I've had issues with that is earlier this year when they had their big spend $100 get a $20 gift card sale. When I added $100 worth of stuff and tried to check out I got systematically slapped with an additional $30 for taxes and I had trouble checking out.

I would suggest checking your account to see if your order was logged and then your bank balance to see if you were charged for it. Then try again. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
Alikat I really want to try that peel from the Ordinary, but I'm a bit shy to order it since the acid level in it is so high. How much does it burn or prickle? Do you have sensitive skin? How long did it take for your skin to adjust to using it regularly? Do you use any other skincare exfoliants or acids during the same week? 
   I would love to see BR add more products from the Ordinary to review with the way some people talk about them I would've loved to read their reviews on the Ordinary.
Imoshen
461 posts
Tannygirl - the peel isn't as bad as it sounds.  I get a slight tingling/itching from the Vitamin C Suspensions but not from the peel.  If you have dry/compromised skin you might get some tingling.

Just use a thin layer and only leave it on for 5-10 mins.  

I have used it instead of the usual AHA/BHA that I use daily but, I have not been using it regularly enough to find out how effective it is (blah blah unwanted house guests blah blah blah).
tannygirl
3392 posts
  That's interesting Imoshen to find out the vitamin C suspensions tingle more than the peel. I currently use masks/peels twice a week on Sunday and Tuesday night and then the glycolic toner from the Ordinary on Thursday. I really like the results I get from skincare acids and chemical exfoliation but I try not to go too ham on it because I don't want to end up with really irritated skin, especially since I have a lot of hayfever these days. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Thanks Tannygirl and Imoshen. I didn't go ahead with the order last night as I definitely didn't want to be paying more than the cost of the goods in taxes. I just went in and tried angain and no taxes were added this time. Weird. But I now have 4 goodies from The Ordinary on their way and it cost about $10nz more than a large bottle of Pixi Glow would. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Tannygirl, how long to orders from Beautylish usually take to arrive?
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Soozie my orders usually take about 10-14 days to arrive. Recently I was waiting for my order for almost three and a half weeks and it hadn't left the States so I emailed them and let them know and asked if there was anything they could do. And they resent my order to me via FedEx and that took about 5 days. The customer service is top notch there.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Thanks, Tannygirl- that's good to know. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
That is so cool Trudi, makes you feel so good when that happens. I rarely get asked for ID now so when I do I feel like I'm 21 again ha ha ha.

I think since switching from moisturisers to serums has made a big difference to my skin. My holy grail oil would have to be that A'kin Brightening Vitamin C oil I was luckily enough to trial (still love the BR team so much for introducing me to this oil). 

Also going away from foundations and using korean CC and BB creams but of late the one that I really have found to even out my skin is the Moisture Mist BB Brightening one (sorry can't remember its exact name as its in the bathroom). It gives me a really lovely glow and tones down the red skin. Such a shame it is $40 but it is worth every penny though.

Since using the above, I very rarely get any pimples now and that is huge for me after battling years with bad skin.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!