Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Products - Not What You Were Expecting

24 posts, 11 members
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
How many times have you bought something, got super excited because of all the hype, purchased it and it is totally nothing like what you wanted it to be?

This has probably happened like a trillion times to so many of us but interested to see what products you bought based on massive hypes only to feel completely let down.

For me it is the Mecca Pixie Pink lipstick that BR Kellie talked about in one of her previous articles - bought it and omg it looks nothing like the picture ahhhh. It is a coral colour and no glitter is even visible when applied on the lips.

So gutted as I had high hopes for that lippy. 

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Mecca's customer service is awesome so it might be worth contacting them if it looks nothing like the website. I returned a face powder to them when the sales assistant gave me the wrong one after she colour matched me. I used it a couple of  times before deciding it was way too dark and couldn't not make it work for me. They gave me a full refund. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I checked the website and it kind of looks true to colourish, but I was going off the picture BR Kellie had on her article. Then I asked her what the lippy was lol. I guess it's one of those things where the photography looks completely different to the actual product. I think she may have got the picture off the internet perhaps? Picture 1: Photo of what I wanted vs Picture 2: Photo of not what I was expecting lol

tannygirl
3392 posts
    Channel No5! This was years ago when I was in Asia and had no idea of brands and the majority of my makeup was bought in pop stores in the mall and unbranded poor quality stuff. But I knew of Channel No5 as the most well known ladies' perfume, every wanted it, etc.  My best friend was gifted a geniune Channel No5 by her sister's boyfriend (very shady considering the cheap presents he gifted the rest of her family) I smelt it and it really smelt dated and like it was from a bygone era. She had a cheaper bottle of this Lolita perfume which smelt really nice and really suited her that was gifted to her by her brother.

Head Pixie
569 posts
Hey Mumof3Munchkins - I see what's happened here.

When you asked about the lipstick I told you the shade of the lipstick featured in the article.

The lip picture featured up the top of the article is a stock photo, not related to the lipstick image used up the top.

Fingers crossed Mecca will let you return it! 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Oh ha ha ha ha ha I see lol. That makes more sense as I was starting to second guess my eyesight ha ha ha.  No worries, thanks hun. I just really want that colour at the top of the article as it is gorgeous.
Head Pixie
569 posts
And I just re-read my reply and that third sentence makes very little sense. This is what happens when you've spent your day writing two thousand words of deep emotional romance stuff. Brain. Fried. 
Kimrose
1416 posts
Oh my, Mum of 3, I adore that lippy and would so love to wrap my lips around it, so dissapointing for you! 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Hmmm, not sure if Mecca would refund if it looks like the actual photo on their website. You could give it a go I guess. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
looks like the top pic might be fuchsia flash not the pixie pink?  I tried to link to it but it seems to default to the paler one unfortunately!

If it's a stock photo maybe it's stock for the brand/range, not the shade.  Pity :(
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I don't think the stock photo is for the brand. Might even be several different products used to achieve that look.  
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Omg I just thought you must have thought I was being a real cow BR Kellie. Was totally not directed at you in anyway. It just got me thinking in general about products not being what they seemed.  So sorry, I must have misunderstood your reply on the article. So I am super sorry if you thought I was having a personal dig at you as that totally was not my intention. Yikes xxx

Anyhoo moving away from the lippy ha ha ha, there are definitely a ton more products that I've purchased that haven't turned out how I thought. Believe it or not, some Lush products have been like that and I have been gutted especially as you lovelies know how addicted I am he he he.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
First one I thought of was perfumes. I remember ages ago I bought a victoria secret one because it smelled amazing on a girl I knew, but it didn't suit me at all. Or when I smell a perfume and it's great on someone else but I try it and it's bleugh.

Also maybe it's just me but quite a few Essie polishes I bought turned out streaky and peeled easily. It seems like a gamble if it's gonna be amazing or crappy.
Macs
5351 posts
That lipstick you wanted looked super pretty too. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
That first pic sort of looks like a glittery version of the Urban Decay Firebird lipstick. I know the bullet looks about that color but it doesn't have glitter.
trudijoy
8375 posts
similar yeah tannygirl. I have firebird, it's glorious!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
ooooh I'm interested tannygirl and trudijoy. Do you have actual swatches or you wearing it Trudi? And does it have glitter in it? Usually I'm not a huge glitter fan but starting to come around to the idea.

I want to make sure I get the right colour this time ha ha ha :-)

trudijoy
8375 posts
insta dm me after work hon and i'll swatch etc it for you x
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Thanks hun, will do x
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Another lipstick suggestion for you to look into ... part of the colour in the first pic you posted looks very similar to NYX Liquid Suede Metallic Matte "Buzzkill", without the glitter.  I agree with worldofsuziewong's post, it does look like a few different products were used to create that glittery lip colour, as there's a definite ombre fade going on there.
trudijoy
8375 posts
mumof3 i just insta'd you - and i found a sample of Firebird! I'll pop it in the post for you x
siouxsannah
261 posts
If you like Urban Decay's Firebird in bullet form, then check out their liquid lipsticks. Their Firebird in liquid lipstick form is even more metallicy, and their Big Bag shade is especially sparkly. You can get them from Mecca: https://www.meccabeauty.co.nz/urban-decay/vice-liquid-lipstick/V-026783.html?cgpath=brands-urban
trudijoy
8375 posts
I have the Big Bang liquid and it’s suuuuuper metallic. I love how shocking it is. My fave UD Lippy is Frenemy, but I love me some Firebird and am keen to check out the liquid; I have the cream.
KiwiLass
174 posts
I logged on tonight to start a similar thread, great timing! I had this happen with Mirinesse mascara. I bought 3 of their mascara's from Sephora late last year, and got sooooo excited. They were more expensive than pretty much any other mascaras I've ever bought, but have been such a let down! They are really clumpy, and I just don't like the consistency. One of them also makes my eyes itch. But I'll just have to persist, given what I spent, I can't be buying new mascara for a while dang it!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!