Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Product or brand wish list for reviews

27 posts, 13 members
Sophia
203 posts
I find that lots of the cosmetics I buy are not here for reviewing. I've sent a number in for adding but I guess we can't have All The Things!! ;-)

here's my wishlist - what would you like on here to review?

I've been working my way through the Essence mascaras, also L'Oreal Eye Paint, Jordana Modern Matte lipstick..... 
Cheers
tannygirl
3392 posts
     I've noticed the same thing too. I've requested quite a few products from the Ordinary on numerous occasions to be added and the way it's discussed in the forum I have a hunch I'm not the only one keen to review them but I haven't seen very many of them added. On the other hand I see almost every product another brand has to offer added to the database (like the La Roche-Posay for example) I don't know who requested every item the brand has to be added but there's no reviews posted for those items.
Julieal
915 posts
There are so many products on the market so it must be hard to get listed however I do note most of the easily avaliable products from Farmers and supermarkets are listed which is really good as a lot of us shop  in the less exclusive places.
tabucutie
1811 posts
I have noticed this too. There used to be a form you could fill out but I was looking for it the other day and it's just a general form to email contact them.

My list of products to add include the following brands: Antipodes, Earthwise, Colgate (new toothpaste that was relesed a couple of weeks ago) Nature's Organics. I will probably send a note through andhope they get added. On a side note, does anyone else look up products on here first and then purchase because you know you definitely can review them? I find I do this more often.
thirtywinks
60 posts
True. I didn't know there was a way to request for products actually. I've looked for these in the past and couldn't find them.
- Herbal Essences Coconut Milk shampoo
- Drunk Elephant products (marula oil and serunms)
- COSRX products (moisturizer and acne patch)
thirtywinks
60 posts
@tabucutie: Sometimes yes. Haha. More often for me, I look for reviews here in BR before I purchase. Like a few months ago I bought an overnigt acne patch. It wasn't on BR but I badly needed one. Turns out it didn't work out and I had to switch brands. I would've shared this review to others who also want to try. :)
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I don't buy products based on whether they're listed. I buy products based on whether they have good reviews. Although it has happened before that I have been the first to place on review on a product. For example, I bought the Ordinary because it was raved about all over on Youtube and didn't cost much.

But that being said if there were reviews posted already here. I would've found that extremely helpful and more compelling that my purchases would be good ones because personally reviews on products that were purchased by regular consumers carry more weight than people who are sent products for review and have the pressure to post glowing reviews in order to get sent more products. 
Koni
444 posts
Hey lovelies I can't link the BR thread on an android but below is Nat's response regarding the process (it could have changed):

"- We try to upload products which have been suggested by more users first.  
- We give priority to products that are readily available in NZ.  Why?  Because the way to strengthen and grow the NZ beauty market is to support it!
- We have to check every product against the site's database.  Around 25% of requests are already on the site.  It might be under a slightly different name, or packaging (especially if the product has been parallel imported!)
- Some companies don't want to be listed.  (WE KNOW!)"
Head Pixie
569 posts
What Koni said! (Thanks Koni!) Products are also uploaded when we're working with a company and have a trial coming up, which is why you'll see entire lines uploaded on occasion.

As for people being pressured to post glowing reviews in order to get sent more products? We have no idea where that impression comes from. We pride ourselves on giving reviewers the freedom to write honest reviews, and the ratings on the reviews they give - positive or negative - have absolutely no impact on whether they're sent products again in the future. I know from personal experience as as member that not all my reviews were glowing and yet I was still sent products to review.

Right, it's Saturday morning. I have a hungry child to feed. And I need my coffee.

Enjoy your weekend, ladies! X
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I for one have never felt pressured to write a glowing review for a trial. In fact I have written a few with 1 or 2 lippies and still get offered trials. I'm pretty sure not everyone thinks like that :-) hope you have a great weekend!
tannygirl
3392 posts
   When I mentioned glowing reviews I wasn't refering to reviews posted on BR and certainly not the ones sent out for members to review. No, I was refering to reviews posted on Youtube, blogs, vloggs, etc.

I 100% trust the reviews on here to be an accurate reflection of the BR members personal experience using the product. BR have made it clear that they value accurate reviews of the members experience using a p
roduct over a glowing review. 

What I meant was that I would've preferred to read reviews on here when I was researching the products I was considering purchasing but alas, the product wasn't here and so of course there weren't any reviews. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
I have never felt pressured to write glowing reviews. I always understood that you write an honest review that is from your point of view and experience with the product. I haven't had a trial in awhile. I'm hoping to get accepted for the L'OREAL shampoo and conditioner trial. Fingers crossed!
Imoshen
461 posts
Oooooooooooo does that mean that you're working with La Roche Posay and have some testing coming up?  ;)
Head Pixie
569 posts
Heehee, Imoshen..... maaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyybe ;) 
Artemis
311 posts
I'd love to see more of the Asian skincare brands that are becoming popular, or the small, under the radar NZ brands that aren't on here at all
Artemis
311 posts
Sophia, those Eseence mascaras are great, I would love to be able to review them too! 
tabucutie
1811 posts
There are a couple of starter NZ companies that would be cool to review. But I think they are too small so maybe might be seen as not worth adding to the site which is a bit of a shame. In saying that, maybe if they knew to send through some of their product the BR team for trial review, it would be beneficial their brand.

There are 13 Essence mascaras that have been listed on the site. Are any of those on your to review list @Sophia?
thirtywinks
60 posts
Koni/Head Pixie: That's understandable. :) Shipping costs can be such a pain sometimes too so having products that are easily accessible are important.

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I haven't asked for any products to be added as I still have such a long list of things to review. I can't imagine ever running out of things to review! A lot of the stuff I'm using right now isnt listed on here although it is easily accessible as most of it was purchased from Mecca. 
Artemis
311 posts
Tabucutie - there would probably/possibly be costs involved with getting BR to review products, which wouldn't be affordable for a small startup, I imagine they charge a fee on top of the cost of the products being sent. I tried getting a small business listed earlier in the year but never heard back unfortunetely. 

I think pretty much all the Essence masacaras are listed except the one I use! ;) might have to check the others out though. 
MareeB
5244 posts
It would be great if the products in the BBBEs were all listed, but maybe don't want to be.
Macs
5351 posts
I agree Maree. I had a few products from BBE not listed . I’d love to see the boxes themselves added. Just to see what they were like.
MareeB
5244 posts
Oh yes Macs, good point. Some of them were in the early days, but not for ages.
Artemis
311 posts
Oh I'm surprised that some brands from BBE aren't listed but I guess there may be a reason, bit surprising though
Sophia
203 posts
Re Essence mascara, I'm on my 4th variety. Only 1 of those has been review-able.
______
Here's a question for BR Team, Rimmel Kohl Brittania eye pencil has a truckload of reviews from quite a while back. It appears that it's still on sale but without the 'Brittania' all over it (I remember this campaign - everything was relating to UK, Kate Moss, union jack shaped eye shadow palettes).
Should we be adding reviews to this one, do we need another listing or perhaps the title of the current listing updated? It's a pretty reliable staple at most cosmetics retailers.
Head Pixie
569 posts
Morning :)

To answer your question...

We've some exciting stuff coming up! And as part of our commitment to being NZ's biggest beauty guide and making BR better for you we've been holding a site audit, and a big part of that is prioritising the data integrity of the site, which means we're aiming to ensure the products listed on the site have the most up to day images and information. As you can imagine it's quite the process!

For this to happen we need to receive product information direct from the brands. This will mean that if companies do not get back to us (which is why you'll find some brands not listed on the site... who wouldn't want to work with us? I know!) we will have to remove listings as it's important all information is kept relevant. You'll also find that in the coming months more products will be added as brands send us through the relevant info/images.

It's going to be a big year for Beauty Review - you should see what's going on behind the scenes! Busy times!!

Have a fab day! xo  
tabucutie
1811 posts
@Artemis: That's a valid point I had not thought about it like that. I bought an Essence Mascara recently and it's not listed, slightly ironic given the amount that has been listed. Oh well, maybe it will get added sometime. 

I agree @MareeB and @Macs. I think it would be awesome to have the box products added individually and the box as a whole. I know I would be interested to read those reviews. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!