Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Overrated and Underrated Products

32 posts, 27 members
Jesse
745 posts
I'm always on the look-out for new beauty gems to add to my collection, so was wondering what everyone's most overrated and underrated products were? What were your beauty purchases that you heard everyone rave about then thought.. huh? What beauty buys have you discovered that you love and think are pretty underrated? 

For me...

Overrated:
LF Undereye Setting Powder & ELF Studio HD Powder. I heard so much about both of these products but I was really underwhelmed by them, they just didn't do much for my skin and I found them really messy!

Underrated:
LA Girl Hi Def Pro Conceal - Best undereye concealer I have ever tried! This has such a lovely colour and creamy consistency which perfectly covers my undereye circles and hyperpigmentation. Love love love.
Also so far I love EVERYTHING about the Make Up Revolution products I have tried so far - Iconic 3, Blushing Hearts Blush and Velvet Matte Lip Laquers. Amazing pigmentation, high quality products at a pinch and cute packaging. I get compliments whenever I wear any of them and wish they were available here.

chelseaadelaide
703 posts
What a brilliant idea!

Products that I personally found overrated: MAC Strobe Cream (I didn't get a glow and my makeup applied super patchy). Doublewear (I just couldn't find the right shade, it wouldn't blend and it didn't give a flawless finish). Glamglow ($100 for a face mask that made my pimples worse and had sharp, chunky leaves in it). And SHOCK.. MAC lipsticks. I loved them..until I spent $8 more and tried the Lancome ones. 

Products that I think everyone should try, but that most people probably haven't. Almost every ZA product especially the cleansing oil and blushers/highlighter. Trilogy face mask and Clarins One Step Exfoliating Cleanser. xx
MicheleC
419 posts
Great thread.

I wasn't wowed by the elf HD Studio powder either. In the end I have mixed it with the last of my Shiseido loose powder and it has turned out better.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Fab thread :)

Overrated:
L'Oreal mascara - have yet to find one that my lashes love,
Chanel No. 5 - I love Chanel, but I have realised that there are several perfumes that smell better on me than the offical smell of a woman

Underrated:
Miki liquid eyeliner - love the colour, it lasts and so affordable
China Glaze - OPI quality but half the price tag
Black Opium - People don't seem to like it because it doesn't smell like Opium, but I think it smells really nice, just that maybe calling it Opium was a bad idea
Marcel
335 posts
The most overrated skin treatment product of all time - BIO OIL. I find it astounding that the bio oil ads continue to run on tv. I've read a lot more negative reviews of it than positive ones. It is beyond me how this product continues to get so much publicity.

Another highly overrated one is Thin Lizzy's.

Underrated hmm have to think about that one.. L.A girl nail polish I find these to be really good quality and they are so cheap, I got a 5 pack of mini's + top coat from the warehouse a while ago $5 on sale.
kirstysays
762 posts
Love this thread!  So many products are hyped up and just don't do it for me. Over rated - Elf Under eye setting powder, benefit posie tint, thin lizzy powder (can't believe this is still on the market) and the balm nude tude palette Under rated - Totally agree about the LA girl concealer, Elf Eyebrow kit (although that does has great reviews, but, it's my go to for natural looking but improved brows)...can't think of any others at the moment...but, there are tons!
Susilia
484 posts
Overrated: limecrime lipstics, sorry! Altough I've only tried one color, it still put me off trying another one (and spending that much again). 

Underrated would be the benefit dallas bronzer/blush, it just doesn't get as much attention next to all the other benefit powders, it deserves much more!:)
Kia
550 posts
Oh I have so many overrated products! My number one overrated product would have to be OPI nail polish! Sorry ladies, over priced, and horrible quality. I agree with most of the above. Collection cosmetics mascara, bio oil, thin lizzy, undereye setting powder by elf, Essie nail polish, ciate nail polish.  Underrated I would have to say literally all of LA Girl cosmetics! I love all of them! They work magnificently and are cheap as chips! And Sinful colours nailpolish 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
For overrated products I agree with OPI and Bio Oil for sure. Underrated - probably Clarins eyebrow pencil. I luff it.
OPI. Their thinner is good though but there is the fact it's pretty much the ONLY thinner on the market.
Bio Oil is another one.  Meanwhile I gave her my Papaw ointment and it stopped her from scratching and picking all the time.
I'm Korean and I've used multiple Korean BB creams and the colouring was just not that great. They make them tailored to really pale people and not all Koreans are mega-pale. In other words, every time I wore that stuff I looked like a ghost.

Natio products in general. It's my 'when in doubt, use x' brand. Their intensive moisturisers are one of the few products that can keep my skin moisturised for more than 10 minutes. Their Invisible Blend foundation is the only foundation that actually works with my skintone, skin type and the consistency I want. Plus, even if you cake it on, people will be none the wiser...
Mavala is another one. They are on the pricey side if you consider the price but the quality makes every drop count. Plus, if you want to do a truly genuine 1940-1950's nail look, this is the brand you want. They make the EXACT same colours as they did back when they were established and I don't think any other brand does that. The colours you want in that case would be named after capital cities. If you want historically accurate cosmetics for your face, Besame is the way to go.
Mila
1209 posts
This is a good thread ! :)

Overated:

Bio Oil - too greasy for my skin.
Thin Lizzy mineral makeup - I love their concealer but the foundation as far as mineral makeups go was terrible on my skin
Lucas Pawpaw - I heard so many people rave about this I had to try it  but for me I much prefer Elizabeth Ardens eight hour cream

Underated:

Sally Hansens Salon Manicure Nail Polish

I'm sure I have more underated's I just cant think :)
Rezee
1964 posts
Interesting!
I'm trying to think of things that I'm sure I've come across but not too much is coming to mind.
Over-rated for me would probably be Benefit's They're real mascara, I so wasn't wowed and can the get the same or better lashes with my maybelline mascaras.

Under-rated, hmm maybe celeb perfumes? I guess they kind of look like they would be all lollie sweet and not as good as designer ones but I totally love quite a few of them and they have great lasting power etc.

Totally agree about bio oil and thin lizzy, those products did nothing for me at all!
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Love this thread!

hmmm over rated, bio oil. OPI nail polishes, they annoy the shite outta me.

Brands I'm deeply in love with at the moment.. Oasis, tonymoly, MAC, Eye of Horus and finally found a mall polish that sticks, Sally Hanson miracle polishes.
melly650
375 posts
Shock... but I can't think of any overrated products at the moment...

Underrated is definitely Makeup Revolution!! I have a huge obsession with them at the moment. I have a wishlist of theirs that would make you blush. I could've practically just added the site to my cart.
accidentprone_x
845 posts
Over-rated product: Definetely is bio-oil and also Thin Lizzy
Under-rated product: The Australis tint my brow in light brown.
Macs
5351 posts
For me its Thin lizzy. I used to use it. But I stopped because it made me look orangey. 
accidentprone_x
845 posts
Over-rated: Maybelline Superstay Better Skin Foundation
MicheleC
419 posts
crystalmarionette ?Orly also make a nail polish thinner.
kyliemaree
15 posts
Such a great thread! Not sure on over rated, definitely agree with the bio oil/thin lizzie comments!\Underrated-Natio bronzer, that stuff is amazing-so, so, pretty. The benefit tints-they rule, such pretty natural blushes. Australis velour lips-such awesome staying power, and so cheap in such cool colours. 
kstah21
127 posts
crystalmarionette  ORLY does a nail polish thinner, as does Revitanail and a few others. :)
ok so my  current 'over-rated' prducts are: Loreal BB Blur things - gah! like serioulsy why bring out 2 shades when they dont look any different. (wore the light on one side and dark on the other and no one noticed). garnier 5 sec blur, i prefer the magic blur and skin perfection. 
Underated products atm: All Art deco products!!! I AM IN LOVE WITH THEM!  Natio anything lol (come on we all no how much i love them). but product that i think needs a huge gold medal atm is.....Lipidol cleansing oil and ASO!!!
tannygirl
3392 posts
For me
Overated:
-Antipodes Mineral Foundations (itching and burning within ten minutes of application). -Antipodes Apostle Serum smelt nice went nicely no break outs but for $65 a bottle I'd like it to brighten and lighten like it claims.
- Linden Leaves Miraculous Facial Oil (unless you have really dry skin or mature skin). This smells lovely but is really thick and greasy, it's the heaviest facial oil I've used, best used as a treatment or diluted with another oil or added to another product. Sorry, beauty bloggers but this is why I don't suscribe. I've had better results with cheaper facial oils, not worth my $50!
-Bio oil nothing for skin.
-Thin Lizzy orange and irritates skin and the voice in the ad back when I was watching TV was so annoying I seriously wanted to boycott the product!
-Channel No5 lovely scent but there are so many other perfumes out there that retail cheaper and smell better.
-Celebrity perfumes, never been a fan and I find they smell too sweet in general.

Underated:
-Oasis Beauty's Sunscreen, Apple a Day and Rhino Repair. My HG sunscreens.
- Trilogy's Eye Serum. My HG eye serum, seriously I've sold the product once to a store attendant by letting her look at my under eye area and I don't think I can do that with another product. One of the best $40 I've ever spent, one roller lasts me for months.
- EOH goddess pencils. Everything on me smudges, even anti-smudge but this stays put and barely smudges. I wore this on recently when I spent an entire day walking in parks and at the end of the day it was only a little bit smudged. My current HG eyeliner pencil.
- Hurraw's Sunprotection balm. Zinc protection and it's not overly whitening. My current HG.
- Trilogy Enzyme Cleanser exceeded my expectations. Another staple I must have.
- Glycolic Acid peels. I've had microdermabrasion before and this gives the look as if you've had it done a couple weeks ago. Amazing for a fresh glowy, dewy skin. I tried it once and was hooked. Currently saving up for it because it's pricey and the sample tube I had ran out.
- Aveeno Body lotion. I don't usually use supermarket products but this is one staple I've used for the past three years, cheap, big bottle, no irritation and low rating by EWG.
- Living Nature Vitalizing Cleanser this product turned me on to cream cleansers. I changed for Sukin's foam cleanser and used this in less than week my dry, irritated skin was moisturized and healthy again. I recently found out it removes eye makeup. Fave cream cleanser.
- Weleda Skinfood another HG for hands and dry skin at night.
- Trilogy's Ultra Hydrating handcream. Hydrates effectively and isn't greasy. Another HG.
Johanna
38 posts
over rated 
Revlon mineral foundation the one in a black tube with sunscreen it separates so you shake it up and seems to go on nice but it ends up looking very patchy.
Avon infinize mascara the one in the orange tube!
Avon smooth minerals powder compact - turned orangey
Maybelline fit me foundation - okay but not amazing.
Agree about the thin lizzy and even the lip gloss has parabens bad for skin.
DB brands mascara in the big pink/puple tube did not meet expectations had to dip a different brush in this to get a better look. 
Hello kitty liquid eye liner - flakes off
Avons naturals conditioners - you need alot of product unless your hair is oily or short. 
Some of Avons creams in their skin care range just peel off the skin for example the platinum one did I have not tried it since they have bought it back into sale so I do not know if they have improved it. 
The mascara with the strange paint brush  design dries out fast and the lid breaks off although good lashes to start with. 

Under rated
Coral colours BB cream huge amount in the tube great value for money primes skin hides bags and redness etc.
I think loreal mascara is great!
Revlon lip balm in a round container smelt yummy and came with a hand lip brush lips felt hydrated
Avon simply pretty liquid liners - pretty good!
Avon roll-ons come on special and hold more than other brand bottles can be great value for money
Avon lipsticks - love em
The wind up eye and brow definers / eye liners
Avon supershock mascara 

notjaya
62 posts
Anything La Mer, I think, is overrated. And I agree with those who said Bio-Oil.

Underrated: elf brushes, The Face Shop nail polishes, & vaseline.
Angell
182 posts
Now I really have to think hard....

Overrated: Most hair products I find to nothing of the sorts for my hair, but it's a personal thing. Same with most products. Some people love, some people dont. I think a lot of expensive nail polish brands are overrated. I find that they don't stay that much longer nicely on the nails than cheaper brands you get in the $2 shop. Same with lipstick, gloss etc. (Yet to try a lip crayon and hopeful that it will still longer and look really good).

I love Bio Oil. Used it during both my pregnancies and dont have any stretch marks. I used from the day I found out I was pregnant, rubbing it over my tummy at least 2 a day until after my C-Sections have healed. Have very faint scars left from the c-section and not really noticable unless you REALLY want to notice is.

Underrated: Vaseline. I think I'm addicted. Every night before bed I put some on my lips and on my eye lashes. Even the kids use vaseline when they're lips are dry and it really does work wonders. Another underrated is Goodbye Sandfly. Works awesome on all itchy bites and keeps mozzies away too!
ChaySaysHey
2 posts
Adore this thread! It is so interesting seeing peoples Under/Over-rated products! Good for when you have heard so much hype about products and then see the other side of it which you usually don't really hear about. Very useful! Over-rated: Elf lipsticks. Colours are very much the same and do not last long at all! I went on a huge splurge spree and was disappointed with about 85% of the lot. Under-Rated: Rimmel eye liner and mascara!! And also Makeup Revolution palettes/Highlighers. Absolutely love all of their eyes and cheeks products. Such a shame that they aren't easier to get your hands on.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Resurrecting this because I just tried something I was dying to try and it was so disappointing. Kat von D Lock it Foundation
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh that's disappointing, Trudi. But at least your favourite foundation is easier to buy here than the KVD one 
trudijoy
8375 posts
True that!
JessB
219 posts
So sad to hear about the KVD foundation Trudi! Especially since everyone seems to rave about all of her products. People seem in agreement about Bio Oil and Thin Lizzy being overrated - I'd have to say so also. So many different hair sprays I've tried are overrated, even expensive L'Oreal ones I've tried, and also hair mousses, they hold for an hour or two and then just make my hair flat and greasy. OPI nailpolish also is way too expensive for what it is.  

Underrated products for me: Revlon's eyeliner pencils (the bright red pencil, but is just black liner) I have lik 3 of these because they're my go-to and I like to have them at different mirrors/in my bag.  Homemade scrubs is another, not quite sure if it's technically a product, but can be so easy to make, saves so much money and really can be great for your skin. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i know Jess! I love KVD and am obsessed with her liquid lipstick, liquid eyeliner and the metal matte palette. But the foundation and mascara weren't great at all.

The primer wasn't bad though!
tannygirl
3392 posts
  That's a shame about the KVD. I love her eyeshadows. I haven't tried her liquid lipstick yet. 
Another product that I think is overrated is Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate. While it's a lovely oil and absorbs really well and is hydrating it's not worth $98 for 30ml.
  I think Oasis Beauty's Hot Toddy and their Straight Up is underrated. I used the Hot Toddy alongside Kiehl's Midnight Recovery and Hot Toddy out performed it and it's $40 for 20ml. I was also really impressed with their Straight Up that was using but had to put aside in favour of a more moisturizing oil when winter hit. That is probably the fastest absorbing facial oil I have come across.

Julieal
915 posts
Over rated -Bio oil,Thin Lizzie and OPI nail polishes
Underrated -Dragon Blood serum

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!