Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Not Beauty Related But Needing Help From My BR Lovelies xx

15 posts, 11 members
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Are any of you lovelies part of this new trend of Rock Hunting? I've seen so many pictures of families getting out and searching for these rocks.  How do you go about starting, is there a Facebook group that tells you where to go hunting etc lol?
First Lady
957 posts
Not through choice haha, but yes I am!  Milky and his bestie love looking for special rock treasure!

So usually the groups on FB are just called [your area] Rocks (So Palmy Rocks, Wellington Rocks, Christchurch Rocks)

Trust me if you start this your nail polish is about to be abused and you'll be out of top coat hahahah.
Julieal
915 posts
This sounds like a fun thing to do with the kids -We often goto the beach glass hunting looking for all the sea worn coloured glass that gets washed up.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I've painted a few rocks myself (pic posted on the photo wall ages ago), but I only use old, expired or gluggy nail polish that I know I won't be using on my nails again.  Instead of top coat to finish, I use a water-based craft varnish (for decoupage) it works out cheaper and once it's had time to cure properly, it's waterproof, and it doesn't have any effect on the nail polish underneath.  You can also use acrylic paint to paint the rocks and then finish off with craft varnish once the paint is dry.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Cool rocks Silvene! I've never heard of this rock hunting thing yet! Do you just look for nice looking rocks?
Macs
5351 posts
No I haven't heard of it. My kids are still crazy about fidget spinners.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thanks, Charmmy-Kitty.  I did those ones to decorate my own garden, but  I know the kids in our neighbourhood are always out hunting for painted rocks.  I look for small rocks when I'm out and about, bring them home, paint them up and then leave the finished painted ones around the neighbourhood for kids to find, usually around playgrounds or picnic areas.  

I know some people join groups or Facebook pages to find out where they can look for them, I've never bothered.
Chaotic82
522 posts
We do it, the kids love it!  We have been amazed at some of the places we have stumbled across them, and how far they travel!

Get a good sealer, or all your hard work goes to waste waiting for someone to find it.  Nail polish marbled ones are one of the current trends, I just had a cull - so going to give that a try! 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Wow, that does sound like heaps of fun - for the kids of course ahem ha ha ha.

I'm not an artist but happy to give it a go especially after seeing the joy of kids faces when finding them.  

I got added to a group here in Whangarei by some friends and have been watching all the posts, its actually exciting (did I just say that, omg I need to get out more - oh yes by doing rock hunting ba ha ha ha).

Thanks lovelies xxx
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I didn't know anything about it till my son came home with some rocks. So we went and hid them. My son has made a few and hid them as well. It's pretty exciting for the kids to go hunting for them as well. I joined a Facebook group and it answered all my questions I had about it :)
tannygirl
3392 posts
One way you can put the rocks to really good use is if you paint them as fruits and vegetables or paint fruits and vegetables on them and use them as a place marker for anything you're trying to grow in the garden. Besides you probably have red polish that would make a nice tomatoe rock for the tomato plants.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Oooh Tannygirl that's a cute idea!! Those pure white rocks would make really good canvases for this I reckon.
pintsize
1072 posts
We have Oxford Rocks in our area and the kids love hunting for them (rehiding them not as much) and also have loads of fun painting them as well. Mister 4 also asked his preschool to decorate rocks.  Crayons melted on hot rocks in the oven can be fun too... just remember they stay hot for quite a while after. And Miss has one that has glitter sprinkled over it (pink too her favorite).
There are lots of pages with ideas and techniques, I don't think you have to be local to join them and it helps if you tag your rocks with the group name on the back :)
Some folk have taken their rocks on holidays with them to hide.
It's lots of fun searching for them.
Julieal
915 posts
Wow what awesome ideas . I will be able to give my grandkids a new hoppy this year which will be fun.
MareeB
5239 posts
It sounds like fun. The idea for using them as garden markers is wonderful!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!