Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR What Are Your Not Ideal Holiday Experiences?

55 posts, 13 members
tabucutie
1811 posts
I just got back from my holiday/wedding/honeymoon in Hawaii. It was supposed to be a 16 day stay. However to cut a long story short, we were staying with a friend and it didn't work out, the day before our wedding we had to find new accommodation and a way to get to the ceremony. Luckily I managed to get in contact with Flight Centre who had booked our tickets. $1300 NZD later (4 nights accommodation at a Hilton Hotel) $150 USD (taxi to and from the ceremony) and $450 NZD (to change our flights early) we left after 9 days.

This was not ideal and i'm gutted the way it turned out. For the best I know, I could have maxed my credit card and overdraft on the account but I know I made the correct "adult" decision. So my question is what are your not ideal holiday experiences? Holiday horror stories if you will.
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh gosh tabucutie that sucks! I hope your wedding was still lovely though x

The last two big personal overseas trips i've been on (Samoa and Hawaii) i injured the same foot in more or less the same way, so i'm an eejit who can't beach well, clearly.

Not real HORROR stories, per se, but not ideal! Especially as in the states you can't get anti-inflammatory cream like Voltaren without a prescription, and in Samoa they're not so much with the medical care so i got offered a band aid and a cocktail and a wheelchair for a suspected broken foot.
I'm a netball coach from waaaaaaay back and i travel with a first aid kit so both time i had sports bandage and painkillers, thank goodness!
tannygirl
3392 posts
    When I was younger and my family had fewer kids (I come from a large family) I remember a few interesting vacation experiences. But one that stands out was when a family friend offered to let us stay in her remote (remote enough that you had to pay a water truck to fill the water tank, luckily the house had electricity although I'm not sure if we were dependent on a generator for that) 3 bedroom holiday house that was a ten minute walk from the beach. 

First of because of the drive to the place we spent most of the the first day getting there, packing and unpacking, not to mention the cost of the gas to get there was ridiculous. We also had to make arrangements pay for a water truck to fill up the water tank which was another expense and meant we had to make sure the water lasted the whole trip. Being a small crowd of kids we got pretty bored in a small house located out in the boonies with just a few other holiday houses and only a beach nearby and to go anywhere meant we needed to spend more on gas money.

This time the beach had something in the water that made it dirty and our skin really itchy which meant the younger ones were crying on the walk back to the house and the beach was quickly ruled out as an option. Over the weekend we stayed there a whole bunch of unsavoury campers decided to loiter, set up tents just about ten metres from us and the other holiday house and on the last night rob the area. Luckily, we had locked all the doors and brought in our stroller and thankfully the van wasn't broken into. But there was a room that my sisters and I were staying in that you could only access from steps going up on the outside of the house, we did hear someone trying to break in during the night, but luckily didn't succeed. 

Needless to say the next day we packedup and left as soon as possible and we thanked our friend but we never took up the offer to stay at her holiday house again.
Helibabi
101 posts
Oh wow! Big congrats on the wedding and holiday for a start! 
I have a Hawaii one too - I got  sick and ruined our family holiday :( thank god for travel insurance that's for sure!
 hope you have some nice memories from your trip though :)
Imoshen
461 posts
I'm sorry to hear that your holiday and honeymoon wasn't everything you wanted tabucutie and I hope the relationship with your friend doesn't upset you further.  

My holiday horror ... My husband and I had been married for a couple of years, we'd never been on honeymoon together because we simply couldn't afford it.

We had a wishing well at our wedding and our friends kindly donated what they could which we tucked away for our honeymoon.  Eventually we decided on somewhere and on the night before we flew out I developed a tummy bug so spent the night with my head down the toilet.

I also contracted my partners cold which decided to take up residence in my head and for the next 6-8 days I was a complete zombie.  Couldn't go anywhere, couldn't do anything (I did but it took it's toll) and then my husband had some funny water and spent three days being sick himself.

We look back and laugh, that honeymoon could have gone so much better!
shazatron101
5112 posts
As bad as it is, im laughing at all these stories hahaha im sorry you all had terrible times but it is funny for meeee

My horror story is... we went away for a week.. i forgot to pack any shoes hahahahahahahaha what a bloody numpty. i had the pair on my feet ( a pair of too small jandals ) and i didnt find any good pairs til we were coming home. My feet had massive jandal blisters hahahahahaha
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
So this was a holiday within NZ when we were kids. We were in the lion enclosure at Orana Park for feeding time. It was the middle of summer so Dad had the AC on as obviously you couldn't put the windows down with lions around us.
We went to leave and the battery was flat in the car so the park lady finally come over when she saw our car not leaving and we had to try and yell to her that we needed a jump start lol the lions were all around so she decided to give us a small shunt so we could get it going as it was a manual, anyway she flaming come up behind us so fast she smashed the back end of the car up and caused thousands of dollars worth of damage!
Bhahaha silly cow, anyway at the time it wasn't funny but now I think its quite hilarious :-)
tannygirl
3392 posts
  That's quite scary Lisa Lou. Unfortunate about the car but luckily you could get it going. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
@trudijoy:Yeah the wedding was lovely. I cried through the vow part, not unexpected just super emotional. I bet those wedding photos will be munted. Still waiting to receive them. I hope just one photo turns out well.

That medical advice from Samoa sounds a bit scary. The cocktail sounds nice though. I hope you don't have any further problems in your future travels. So glad you pack your own first aid kit. That did not cross my mind at all while packing for the Hawaii trip. Will definitely do next time.
tabucutie
1811 posts
@Helibabi: I actually had a tummy bug the day before we left and it stayed with me for 5 days. I was so concerned, I didn't want to go to a doctor or the hospital while we were there. Luckily it went away literally the day before the wedding!

@Imoshen: It wasn't ideal but it didn't ruin the whole trip. The ex friend had blocked us on FB before we arrived at the hotel. No love lost per se. Sorry to hear about your honeymoon, maybe you both could have a second honeymoon? Memories are made but not always ideal but if you have each other you can get through it all.

@Lisa-Lou: I haven't heard of Orana Park, is it still operating? What an experience, atleast you all were safe. Can't say the same about the car but glad it turned out alright.

trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah i have a few medical conditions I manage on a daily basis including hypothyroidism and skeletal hyper mobility (where your bones move too much and can easily become misaligned and need relocation) plus I’m super accident prone, so it’s easier to pre-empt medical drama than be panicking and trying to sort things out! Esp in a place like Samoa - if they don’t have medical supplies at a RESORT you’re def best having your own. Beautiful place but not particularly developed in that sense.

I’m so glad you got married anyway. If you’ve also freed yourself of a toxic friendship then that’s a long term win too! I’m sure you’ll just look happy and in love in the pics x
MareeB
5241 posts
Oh dear - ooops! I rarely go on holiday and it's usually fine, but I went to the North Island and did what Shaz did - didn't take sneakers and ended up walking miles in entirely the wrong shoes. My blistered feet meant I couldn't go on some walks that we would have liked to go on. I love the North Island - lots of beautiful places to explore. So has the south island, but it's a different type of scenery. I'm still hanging out to get to Samoa Trudi - or any pacific island!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Trudi who do you usually go through to book holiday packages? I think I've asked before but can't remember.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh my gosh, where do I start with the travel nightmare stories? Egypt - threatened by a camel boy, sold plane tickets that didn't exist, camera stolen by a kind local who offered to take our photo then quickly disappeared over a fence. Scary Soviet planes. Stranded at a bus station in Cambodia in the middle of the night with huge rats running around. Then staying in a filthy hotel that appeared to be a 'knocking shop'. Having to sleep with the lights on all night on a boat in Vietnam because as soon as we turned the lights off we could hear cockroaches running around and over us. The 'suicide showers' in Cuba (google it)...lol I could write a book! I could write a book about the toilets in China alone! 

They all make good stories though. I used to teach Tourism and my students used to think I made the stories up lol. Not fun when it is your wedding though, Tabucutie. I'm glad to hear you had a great day anyway. 
MareeB
5241 posts
Lol good grief soozie - I think I'll stick to nice clean holidays in NZ. You should write a book - I'd read it!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Lisa I DIY through Wotif, or at least I have for the last two. I can choose my preferred airline and hotel and tailor the pricing to suit what I'm happy to pay. Then when I get where i'm going i wander on day 1 and form a list of things i want to do/see then I jigsaw them in to the trip depending on weather, cost, and what i feel like doing.

The last two have been at easter and for flights, accomm, insurance and transfers Samoa was about $1600 for 5 days and Hawaii was about $2500 for 6, I loved both hotels, all flights were through air NZ - which I prefer esp because with all my work travel the airpoints stack up FAST and the overseas trips tip them into useful territory -  (and with Hawaii I got upgrades for a lounge pass on the way out and premium economy on the way back). You take a bit of a gamble with hotels but I love hotels with a bit of character that aren't super busy anyway :)
MareeB
5241 posts
That's pretty reasonable Trudi. I wish you could get there direct from Dunedin. Or even Christchurch. We have a huge pacific community in our area and the south island in general now, so some flights from the south direct to the islands would be very welcome.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
That's just the tip of the iceberg Maree! There's only been a few times I've felt concerned for my safety, when I was much younger. We always have our wits about us and always have a good laugh about it afterwards. I usually travel with my friend I used to live with in the U.K.  We meet up at various locations around the world every couple of years. We recently met up in Japan in April and that was drama free, apart from her running out of money half way through the trip as she'd forgotten we hadn't paid for one of the hotels yet lol. We're meeting in India in December so I'm sure we'll have lots of stories from that trip -I'm still a bit dubious about going tbh but it will be an experience. 

My next trip is in October. I'm taking my mum to Queenstown for a couple of days as she's never been (and I've only been to the airport - that's another travel story lol) We've booked into the Hilton so it should be drama free. I hope. Lol. 
MareeB
5241 posts
LOL Queenstown and India - what a contrast! Everyone I know who has been to India absolutely loved it. The crowds of people would freak me out I think. And I absolutely hate spicy food - any type of curry yick.  I would love the sights though.  
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I know I'll love it once I'm there Maree. We're going to the Taj Mahal and Varanasi (then on to Nepal) amongst other places. So I can tick them off the list and then plan my big birthday celebrations in Mexico next year! My birthday is around the time of the Day of the Dead celebrations which seems appropriate lol. 
MareeB
5241 posts
It sounds wonderful! and next year going to Mexico - amazing. I'd love to go to Cancun!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Maree I went to Mexico for the first time 18 months ago. I absolutely fell in love with the place and wondered why I'd never been earlier (probably all the horror stories about the place lol).  I went on a food tour (Yeap, they're a thing!) to Mexico City, Puebla, Oaxaca and Mazunte. I would go back to all those places. Except I wouldn't take the death road to Mazunte on a night bus again (Yeap, that's another story lol).  Mmmmm, on that note I'm going to make quesadillas for lunch. Yum. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Massive congratulations on your wedding tabucutie xx Sorry to hear it wasn't quite what you planned but sounds like it turned out in the end.  

I just have to say, I saw your pictures on the photo wall and wow you look gorgeous xxx
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Cool thanks Trudi. We are looking at Tonga for 7 days, the prices are pretty great on Wotif so think we will go with them. Been to Tonga?
trudijoy
8375 posts
No but I looked at both Tonga and Niue when I booked Samoa! Looks stunning
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Its hard to decide really lol Fiji sounds great too. We are looking at October, I have been searching wotif for hours so just need to pick a place. Only ever been to Perth so am excited.
alikat
423 posts
The first time I went to vegas, I thought I had got a deal on a room. What I actually got was one of the worst hotels on the strip and our room had bloodstains on the carpet, someone elses pube in the hot tub and some one tried to break into our room while we were in it! And now people wonder why I prefer to pay $450 a night instead of $45!!

We stayed once at a Hostel in Adelaide. The mold in the shower was so bad that despite the 45 degree heat for the five days we were there, I only had the one shower and the rest of the time, I walked a block to the beach for a swim.

I'm sure we've had more bad experiences, but those are certainly the standouts!

tabucutie
1811 posts
@trudijoy: wow, that's a lot to deal with. It's awesome you have everythng down and still travel a lot! I definitely have a bit of a travel bug now. I want to go on more holidays/trips away. It's a bit ironic really that I am typing this on my first day back at work, but knowing that work means money and money means trips makes it a lot easier. PS we got our wedding photos come through yesterday and some of them are a bit crack up but my husband and I like one photo. And it's not even of our faces/body ROFL!
tabucutie
1811 posts
@MareeB: Definitely keen to start on our pacific islands. They are closer to home and in some ways should be a bit cheaper. My ultimate pacific island destination would be the cook islands (as I am part cook islander) and Bora Bora (because I saw it on the triple x movie and it looked amazing)

@worldofsooziewong:Epic! I bet if you wrote a book it would be amazing. I would definitely read it. Your so brave to go to those countries and experience those conditions. I don't think I would handle it very well at all. 

@Mumof3Munchkins: Thanks for the kind words :) I wish I could look like that every day. 

@alikat:With price comes quality!  I have a thing about toilets and showers, they have to be a certain standard, it's probably the one thing I would not compromise on while travelling.
Julieal
915 posts
We stayed in Singapre last year and staff kept coming into our room to check if we wanted laundry done etc - Just used their key and barged in even when we were there - creepy
Julieal
915 posts
We stayed in Singapre last year and staff kept coming into our room to check if we wanted laundry done etc - Just used their key and barged in even when we were there - creepy
tabucutie
1811 posts
@Julieal: Wow, hard rude. Did you give the hotel feedback? That's so wrong.
MareeB
5241 posts
OMG Julieal, that IS downright creepy.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Julieal, I've had something similar happen in a very well know hotel chain in Bangkok - housekeeping knocked on the door in the middle of the night to see if we wanted more pillows. There seemed to be a bit of a scam going on and I think they do it to see if anyone's in the room. I had small amounts of money stolen out of a bag that was in the wardrobe. I was carrying four different currencies and a small amount was taken from each. Small enough that they were hoping I didn't notice but significant enough to me and I knew exactly how much money I had on me. Noticed the day we were leaving so didn't have time to call the police or would have missed our flight. Several emails back and forth with the manager who eventually told me that if I pursued the matter, someone might lose their job and their families depend on the money. 

The reason I think there there is a scam going on is that it happened again in another hotel in Bangkok, in the same chain. Some of my friends money went missing whilst we were out for dinner. Yes, I know you're all thinking we should have kept our money locked up. She had just got off a long haul flight and we were only out a couple of hours so didn't think to lock everything up. After being bitten twice, I always lock everything up now. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah i keep cash, travel docs, jewellery and medication in the safe. I have to travel with a medication that's a black market drug so it's better to be safe.
trudijoy
8375 posts
also if i'm in the room i latch the door lock, not the key one, the one that can only be applied from the inside. I'm a cautious wee pixie lol
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yeap, I do now. And if there's no safe then it's padlocked in my suitcase. 

I also have a habit of booking myself into hotels in 'crack alley'. Even in Vancouver. Yeap, Vancouver has a crack alley. Even the taxi driver was reluctant to let me out and told me to make sure I kept my door locked. Got a few good stories out of that place though lol. Ive got to the stage where I'm sticking to nicer, more expensive hotels (although I still avoid the chain where the Bangkok scam took place). 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yes, I always use that latch thing, even if I'm not by myself, to stop the hotel staff coming in. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Tabucutie, maybe I should write that book to fund some more travels lol. I think I like the more 'adventurous' places as one of the first places I traveled to was the Middle East so some places just seems a bit boring after that. It was nice going back to Japan recently though and not having any hassle or getting up at the crack of dawn to take a bus to goodness knows where lol. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
While in Hawaii, I had TSA locks on all my luggage. I felt secure that nothing would be stolen. There was a safe in the room but I couldn't be bothered how to use it.

@worldofsooziewong: That's a great idea. Surely as an online book or something even. There are heaps of travel bunnies that would appreciate a REAL point of view guide to different countries and customs. If it makes you money to fund even more travels more the better!
Ringy
825 posts
Waiting at Bali airport late one night for a delayed flight - the kids came and told me there were baby birds in the rubbish bin. Thinking what are you talking about and very bored I went to investigate and I could hear lots of loud chirping coming from the bin. It was rats - lots of rats. Sickening. We were all sitting in the floor before that but quickly moved and sat on seats with our feet lifted up. 

My daughter (6 at the time) got locked in a restaurant toilet. Floor to ceiling walls and doors so she couldn’t scoot out under. I had already left the bathroom thinking she’d be out in a minute - poor kid was screaming for a good 5 minutes before I realised she hadn’t come out (mother of the year) - A kitchen man ended up taking the lock off as the hinges were on the inside. We all wait till everyone has finished in the bathroom now. 

Ive had my hotel door opened at like 3 in the morning - lucky I had the bolt thing on, but they really kept giving it a good shove. I will always use that bolt forever more. It was just me on my own, in a very inhospitable country so I was pretty terrified. 

There was an old man whose room with a balcony faced mine who liked to walk around nude - even out onto the balcony to check the washing he had hanging over a deck chair - not great when you have 3 little girls with you. 

Some advice is don’t let the kids look under the hotel beds! Once they did and found a giant Hulk figurine- so then they were always looking where ever we went - from experience not everything found under there is kid friendly! 

Imoshen
461 posts
Ringy - that wasn't all in Bali I hope!  Yes, rats are a pain but you don't bother them, they don't bother you :).

Julieal - what hotel in Singapore was that?  We always stay at the Ibis on Ben Coolen and never had any problems like that.  Thanks for mentioning this too, it's something we'll have to keep an eye on.

ALWAYS use the bar lock on the door at night and make sure the windows, balcony doors are locked too both at night and while you're not in the room.

Another thing is to make sure when you change money that you count it yourself when they have finished handling it.  Once your've counted it, do NOT let them touch it again.  Those hands are fast.

We keep all our money locked up in the safe and when we go out we take what we need in a shoulder handbag/bumbag that is kept tightly under one armpit.

trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah i section my money into equal portions and so a) i know it's all there b) i can just open the safe etc and take out one portion and know how much is in it c) i know how many portions are/should be left and how much is in them. I count each portion back into my wallet to make sure but it works for me.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I do something similar and divide my spending money into daily portions. My daily allowance gets added into my purse each morning. Anything I have left over from the day before is a bonus. 

Ringy, your travel stories sound like mine, lol. I always look under the bed when I leave as I'm always convinced I've left something behind. But yeah, some of those beds don't get cleaned underneath often. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
soozie i also have an extra 'shopping spree' portion that lives in a different place for when i know i'm hitting up somewhere i'll need extra :p
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Haha I have been known to 'borrow' from future days if I know a spree is coming on. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
@Ringy: What experiences you have had!

I divided up my money too, each day a new amount was added to the wallet. I was stoked when I had money left over from the day before, meant more for shopping or whatever else I needed really.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Soozie ever been to Fiji? Or has anyone? Need suggestions for best islands to stay. I have google brain overload
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I have been to Fiji, Lisa-Lou! I'm ashamed to say it's the only Pacific Island that I have been to. I went for a friend's wedding so I didn't actually leaving the resort at all. I had a great time though. Food and drink is expensive so we took duty frees and some packaged food with us. Pure Fiji and it's cheaper line Renu are cheap though and they have a huge range at the airport! 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
And I don't have any horror stories about Fiji! Apart from my poor friend (the bride) having to fly home early due to a tooth abscess that could have killed if she'd stayed in Fiji any longer. Luckily she was ok on the day of the wedding though. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!