Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR Trouble Sleeping

26 posts, 14 members
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hey lovelies! So last night (and several nights before) I had a really terrible sleep. I was fine until the man got a callout at 130 - having only gone to bed at 1130 though, it's not enough hibernation for this bear. From the time he left til the time he got back and then up again at 7 for work, my sleep was broken every 30 mins-to an hour, I couldn't get comfortable and the raging storm outside didn't help. I woke up properly at about 8 with a raging headache, aching bones and a very stiff neck. 

So I guess what I'm asking is, what help you sleep when you're restless? How do you get back sleep, comfortable when everything is disturbing you? Thanks in advance x
Head Pixie
569 posts
Broken sleep is the worst! I used to be the queen of broken sleep - what fixed it for me was Horlicks. I've tried Sleepy Tea but it does nothing except wake me up to pee in the middle of the night. Hope that helps :) xo
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Aghhh that sucks Shaz! :( I'm a night owl so have no advice, I'm usually up till 1am which is really bad lol. I can't seem to switch off before then!

Things not to do though, don't drink coffee before bed, don't watch a movie in bed (it just keeps you awake lol) and don't have children (they tend to keep waking you up throughout the night) haha.

I hope some BR babes have some advice so you can get a decent sleep soon x
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
That's stink for you Shaz,  I know you love the smell of lavender so that's a plus.  It is great for helping people get to sleep and relax.  Try your scentsy with something lavender in your room or lavender essential oil on ur pillow (just a drop or two).  I hope you get to have a nana nap today to help you feel better xx
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Shaz I feel your pain ahhhhh not being able to sleep sux! I have tried so many things. Sleepy time tea which is a bit meh. Healtheries sleep easy pills which are quite good. It says take 2 but I take 4 and it puts me to sleep. Sleep drops are also amazing, my fave are the Bachs rescue remedy brand. Ohhh ive also tried sleep balm lol it smelt terrible. Reading a book when you can't sleep helps too. Hope you get some sleep tonight :-)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Is that the English Milo, Pixie pants? I think I've tried it and I'm not sure I liked it hahahahaha. Also - congrats on your book!! I want to get it but no kindle :'( 

bahahahahahah Amy I literally lol'd so hard something in my body clicked hahaha. Well, I don't have kids, I have cats... and they were behaved last night. I can't have coffee anyway I turn into a lunatic :D 

OoOooH Shana why didn't I think of that!! I might put Jammy Time in there this afternoon if I can face getting rid of Southern Evening hahaha :P Thanks lovely xx

I think I have the Sleepy Time tea... I think I thought when I had it last that it tasted like grass clippings... Mmmmm... I'll have a look for some pills when I do the groceries later (gods give me the strength to deal with the idiots today), and if all else fails I shall take a brick to my face and hope that it knocks me out ;-) thanks Lisa-Lou!

Thank you for your advice ladies, I really appreciate it! 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I battle to sleep when hubby is away, my anxiety goes into overdrive and I hear every little noise and hardly get any sleep.  I find a cup of Red Seal Relaxing Tea helps to ease my anxiety and reading a few chapters of a book in bed helps calm my mind and makes me feel sleepy.  If it's really bad and I haven't slept well for a few nights, a Phenergan (antihistamine) tablet knocks me out for the night but I don't like taking medication unless I feel I'm desperate for sleep and really need to, as they tend to leave me feeling very thirsty the next morning.

I've tried Rescue Remedy and it doesn't do much for me.
Macs
5351 posts
When my partner goes away my beds cold. I hate cold bed. In summer I like a fan my favourite fluffy throw and a couple of drops of essential oil on my pillow. In winter normally a hot water bottle . 

I hope you find something that works for you.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Hope you get some better sleep soon. If you don't already, keep the technology out of the bedroom. My worst habit is when I can't sleep I'll pick up my phone then 2 hours have gone before I know it.

Relaxing/sleepy/soothing sounds can also lull some people to sleep.

Side note: I also want to read your book Pixie once I get a kindle. It sounds exactly like the type of book I like to read :)
Head Pixie
569 posts
Nawwww, thanks Shaz and Crystal - it's so lovely that you want to read my wee book!

(If it helps you can download a Kindle app to your phone or tablet or computer and then get it that way. It's also available through Kobo, iBooks and Googlebooks... NOT that I'm self-promoting on the forum because that would be NAUGHTY and I'd have to tell myself off. Where's the hands-on-mouth monkey emoji when you need it!?)  

Oh yeah, lavender is great! Also not eating dark chocolate before bed. If I do that I'm awake for hours. Annoying since I love dark chocolate before bed.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahahahahaha yeah PIXIE naughty! (I'll look for apps, even though I hate reading on my phone D: ) 

Phone goes on the night stand as soon as I enter the bedroom and I don't usually pick it up until the morning so that's not too much of a problem. 

Thanks for the advice ladies, I'm definitely looking into some options you've suggested <3 
shazatron101
5112 posts
By 4pm I was tired but perked up after dinner - put some of Lush's Mr Sandman dusting powder in my pillow case - it's lavender scented :D *heart eyes*. Still had a crappy sleep but it wasn't as broken as the night before. The man was having a good ol snooze and was an hour late for work! bahahahahaha
kirstyj
1732 posts
Sleeping seems to be an issue with heaps of people at the moment! I've been talking to a few other people about this as well. Wonder if it has something to do with post holidays trying to get into new routines again or something.

But anyway I do have a few things that I like to try. I have a busy brain, often it doesn't have anything to think about so it still goes 100 miles an hour trying to find things to worry about. Ridiculous I tell you.

So first thing I do is guided meditation. Meditation by itself doesn't work for me as you can't tell me to think about nothing. But guided meditation is great as they tell you what to think about and eventually I can fall off into a deep sleep (no waking up in the middle of the night!). I think it has something to do with my mind being calm before I get to sleep rather than busy. I have two apps, one called Relax & Rest and the other Simply Being.

My other thing is aromatherapy - but I think you've already tried this :)
I have the Deep Sleep range from the brand "This Works" they do a pillow spray and a roller ball and they are fab. Especially in the middle of the night I have them in my bedside table so I can use the rollerball and eventually after a few whiffs I'm right back to sleep. It might also be the more controlled breathing... but who am I to question it.

Best of luck with getting some better sleep Shazatron! There is nothing worse than not getting sleep, I think it just effects everything.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Thanks Kellie. I'll look into that app. 
MissQT
1547 posts
I'm a night owl like Amy and I often go to bed at 1am too! But when I can't sleep try and dream of things so that my mind focuses on one thing (sort of like what Kirsty does). Everyone else has given you great suggestions.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Have a small change up in your day by changing the time that you do something eg exercise in afternoon, change it to the morning or add in a walk in the afternoon. I have also had some reports of tart cherry for sleep assistance or darkening the room to enduce sleepiness
Julieal
915 posts
I have the same trouble and have tried magnesium tablets ,lavender , relaxation, reading a book but I find my mind is just too busy.Must be an answer but i haven't yet found it sorry.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i had full blown insomnia for months, if not years (ever tried teaching a full day on zero sleep? I don't recommend it) and there are a few things that definitely help:

- Healtheries Easy Sleep tablets (help you switch your thinking off so you can fall asleep, but aren't sleeping pills - available in most supermarkets)
- Clinicians REM Sleep pills (like the Healtheries ones but a bit stronger; contra-indicate some other medicines though do def talk to the pharmacist if you go this route - available over the counter in pharmacies)
- lavender oil on the pillowslip
- a lotion with a scent designed to promoted sleep - I used the Johnson & Johnson baby bedtime range, and currently have an Aromatherapy company lavender lotion. If you don't like lavender, try neroli or moonflower.
- play a thinking game to take your mind off real thinking. I play alphabet games - i'll take a topic like 'healthy food' and focus on naming one with each letter of the alphabet. Because you're focusing your thinking away from anything stressful, it helps
- if you're on your phone at all before you sleep, turn the screen brightness down as far as possible
- sleep teas - most brands do one, i've trie the T2, red seal and 'be sleepy' ones. They help relax you into that sleepy state without being a sedative
- while lying in bed, concentrate on tensing and relaxing your muscles - start at your toes and move your way up your body, focusing on pushing out any energy in the muscles as you relax them
- sleep apps are great. I have Sleep Pillow but anything that provides background noise you find relaxing will work. In a pinch, the drier works for me as well - I focus on the rhythmic sounds and end up falling asleep
- don't calculate time until you wake up. Lying there going 'omg i'm only going to get a couple hours sleep' causes you to stress out and not fall asleep
- remember that you CAN cope on less sleep than you prefer, you'll just be tired
MareeB
5239 posts
If I don't go for a walk during the day I can't sleep. I also use 5htp ( I'm using Tart Cherry instead at the moment as I also have some gout), and the sweet dreams and sleepy teas that Trudi mentioned, magnesium, soak in epsom salts and lavendar, and reading before bed instead of internet or tele.  It's torture not to be able to sleep!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hah I think thats a biggie, Trudi. Being able to cope when you don't want to - I think I do quite well. Stuff teaching on no sleep hahaha 

Thanks lovelies xx
kirstyj
1732 posts
Great question Shazatron. I've picked up heaps of tips for myself there too
shazatron101
5112 posts
So I went to the chemist today, and they were really helpful! I was given samples of horse tablets aka magnesium (weird thing to get a sample of, or just me?) and she gave me enough for the man too to help with his eye twitch! She also showed me Sleep Drops, but $40... I'll see if the magnesium helps any after 10 days. If I can swallow the pill cos good lord its huge- any tips to swallow them!? Hahaha
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Shaz theres heaps of sleep drops on trade me. You can pic a bottle up for $14 and most places change them to suit your needs. Lol horse pills sound awful. Sometimes I find it easier to swallow with a mouthful of food...that sounds gross I know but I gag on big pills lol
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Also magnesium are great for relaxing the body and helping with sleep. Hope it helps :-)
Julieal
915 posts
break the tablets up and take with plenty of water- You can get magnesium from supermarket too which is a lot cheaper.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I'm not sure if I was just properly tired or if the magnesium worked but I was out like a light and I slept solidly until 730. Pretty stoked with that!

I checked the Sleep Drops website, for further info... I'm not all that impressed to be honest. Apparently (if I read it right!) you have to take 5-10 drops every half hour, 2 hours before bed. thats 20-40 drops a night, and if you wake up during the night you have another 5-10 every half hour til you fall asleep (I think). I'm glad I looked further into them!

Lisa Lou I'm like you! I can't swallow pills at all. I took mine with a cup of tea, it went down but it felt like it was stuck in my throat :S they do have a sort of coating on them, I guess to make it easier but good lord. blerrrrgghh lol 

Julieal yeesss I can! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled - assuming this stuff is working ;-) 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!