Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR Travel insurance recommendations?

19 posts, 10 members
tabucutie
1811 posts
Hi all in a couple of months I will be travelling to Hawaii for my wedding/honeymoon/ holiday. Next item on my list of things to purchase is travel insurance. I have never had travel insurance before and don't want to be stuck especially for medical! Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences with this? I would love to hear from you.
trudijoy
8375 posts
my last two trips I've added insurance on when I purchased the packages, both through Wotif.

Outside of that, I swear by Southern Cross.
tabucutie
1811 posts
I hadn't considered either of those in the basic searches I have done so far. I will look into those thanks
MareeB
5239 posts
I'm so glad you're getting insurance. My friend's sister had a terrible accident in Bali (and had no insurance) and put massive financial strain on their family - hundreds of thousands of dollars...
siouxsannah
261 posts
When I went to Europe last year I used 1Cover. You can customise your policy with them and apply online. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
@Maree: most definitely it would be just my like to go and not have it then get seriously hurt. I am so paranoid about it I just want peace of mind should anything go wrong we covered and the insurance company will help.  @siouxsannah: thanks for the suggestion I'll look it up today
MareeB
5239 posts
Same - I would never consider travelling without insurance. My friend's sister's accident was a reminder to everyone in our community!
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Enjoy your holiday. We always use state because they do fly buys.
tabucutie
1811 posts
I don't think I have looked at state yet. Will check that out today. Primary runners at the moment I have 1cover, tower, and travelinsurance.co.nz. They have the lowest total cost which includes unlimited medical but I have not heard of them before and don't know if they are reliable?

I should probably just pay the extra and stick with  company I have atleastheard of? Does anyone happen to have or knowof any travel claim stories/experiences?
Toni-Lee
503 posts
I always go through southern cross.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Heard of the first two but not the last one. Sorry.
Macs
5351 posts
I’ve never thought about that. I’ll remember those for when I go for my cruise next year.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I always use 1Cover but I never actually made a claim from them. 

Id never travel without travel insurance. My motto is: if you can't afford travel insurance then you can't afford to travel. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
I ruled out southern cross as I didn't like the website layout. Will probably stick with 1cover, just looking forward to getting it sorted.
EliseMM
120 posts
I have done multiple trips to Australia with 1Cover, and 6 months backpacking through Europe with 1Cover. When I have had to make claims with them I was really happy with the service. Make sure if you make stopovers in a different continent/region you will be covered for that too!
Toni-Lee
503 posts
I made claims through southern cross and was reimbursed straight away for medical and luggage.
tabucutie
1811 posts
@EliseMM: Thanks for commenting, that is really helpful. I hope not to claim for anything but its good to know and that you have been happy with the service too. We are on direct flights there and back so no stop overs to deal with :)

@Toni-Lee: That is so good to hear I do wonder about the down time in claiming situations. I have two strong contenders now State and 1cover :)

MissQT
1547 posts
I’ve just purchased travel insurance through the airline, air nz. Air nz uses cover more as the policy provider I think.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Travel insurance has been paid for. I did go with 1cover as I  liked the clearly displayed layout of the benefits of the cover. It was really fast too, like less than 2 minutes max to apply for and pay. Trip is in...51 days! Thanks everyone for your comments and advice :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!