Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR (?) Sterilising jewellery

21 posts, 9 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
hey all!

I have some super cute earrings bought in the Apia markets in Samoa earlier this week but before I wear them I feel like I want to sterilise them.  What's the best option, do you think?  fire?  alcohol?  boiling water?   a combo?  I just want to be certain the posts are clean before i put them in my ears....
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
What are the earrings made of? Fire would defo kill any nasties but you also risk ruining your earrings :( Maybe rubbing alcohol?
trudijoy
8375 posts
when i say fire it'd be a match on the posts haha. they're the typical island stuff... mostly coconut shell and sea shell
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I would use rubbing alcohol. That would kill any nasties :-)
I sometimes will cost them with clear nail polish aswell on studs if they irritate my ears
I sometimes will cost them with clear nail polish aswell on studs if they irritate my ears
trudijoy
8375 posts
rubbing alcohol i can just get in the pharmacy, yeah? i only have vodka or wine here lol
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Vodka will do the trick, as will hand sanitizer. Drink the wine instead lol. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
even if it's flavoured vodka? lol
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Lol, should do. Anything with a high enough alcohol content will do. If it's feijoa vodka though...it's kinda a waste of good vodka!
trudijoy
8375 posts
lol i might be tempted to buy some of that post Melb. On the way back from Samoa I just got Bacardi and Johnnie Walker for the bro. I've got two bottles of vodka here I really should drink though; raspberri and grapevine absolut.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I left a bottle of feijoa vodka with my friend in LA. It was going down pretty well. I'm still making my way through the $5 bottle of Havana Club that I bought in Cuba. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I sterilise all new earrings (just the part that goes through my ear) with isopropyl alcohol. You can get it from the pharmacy. Some places sell alcohol wipes vs liquid, but I haven't seen the wipes anywhere for a while.  Surgical spirits works too, and often comes in a smaller bottle than the isopropyl alcohol, also from the pharmacy.

Otherwise, just use hand sanitiser. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
epic, thanks everyone! <3
trudijoy
8375 posts
i found Dettol, will that work?
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh don't worry. it's EXPIRED Dettol. Threw it out lol
tannygirl
3392 posts
Oh I've never sterilised jewellery, only polished it. I back when I got my earlobes pierced they used rubbing alcohol. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i don't usually tannygirl but the markets aren't the most sanitary place on the planet to be honest!
Macs
5351 posts
I've used detol and vinegar before for sterilising .
shazatron101
5112 posts
i think boiling water will be fine, if you have nothing else. but yeah, vodka, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, its all gravy. i have an awesome jewellery cleaner too, just baking soda, vinegar and hot water! but its more for silvers and gold and maybe not for shells and things of the like :-P
trudijoy
8375 posts
In the end I used antibacterial wipes, isopropyl alcohol and lavender oil. Pic of the lovely earrings on the wall <3 thanks everyone x

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!