Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR Period Panties Brands You'd Recommend

24 posts, 10 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
    So next year I have alot of busing back and forth to school, we're talking an hour and half or longer if you count the walking with out access to a bathroom. Unfortunately, for me I can never predict which day or when I'm gonna start my monthly, just a general idea of what weeks I could get it. So to avoid showing up with a mess accidentally, I thought to invest in some period panties that I could just wear on days I might get it and then if I start en route to school or back home no biggie.

There use to be just Thinx (i think) but now there's different brands and different sizes and styles and I don't know where to start. So I'm wondering if anyone has used them and what brands and styles they'd recommend. Also is there anything that I should look for when shopping for them? I would prefer ones that aren't too bulky or obvious as they'd probably be my panties for the whole day I'm out but offer good absorbency and can deal with a slightly heavier flow and of course comfortable. Thanks in advance.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Modibodi is good and there is a couple of NZ websites that sell them. The light absorbency is good for the first day and as a safeguard.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Thanks I will look some more into trying that brand.
Ringy
825 posts
I have so been wondering about these - just for that extra bit of protection. Would love to hear any feedback on how good/convenient they are. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I havent tried them but a friend has and she said they were terrible and she still leaked through. Can't remember the brand though, and i doubt she could either.

If in doubt, wear a liner and take a surprise-its-your-period kit with you in a discreet bag. Thats what i would do. That and i would track my cycle so i knew around abouts when it would start
poohbearfan
45 posts
I've not tried myself but several people I follow on the gram rave about I am Eva period undies. Two NZ babes who started the business and also donate some of the profits to help period poverty as well as aiming to reduce the amount of tampons and pads that end up in landfills.
Worth a look 
EliseMM
120 posts
I've been wondering this myself! I use liners for the week leading up to my period, but a good pair of period knickers would save the extra cost and waste of using liners. Still not brave enough for a cup though.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I haven’t used period panties, only heard of the ModiBodi ones, and this brand of washable, reusable pads. 

@EliseMM, Personally, I felt that the cup was more mind over matter, for me. I thought it was going to be difficult to use and messy, but once I tried it, it was no different from using tampons. I got used to it really quickly, and found it was better for my body and the environment. 
MissDilly
229 posts
I'm a cup-convert too and I never thought I'd use one but I wouldn't got back to anything else now. Definitely a transition using a cup and takes a short while to master but  I also  keep thinking that period pants would be a good safety net with using a cup because my heavy periods are insane but they're not every month ..... Modibodi are the only brand that's really caught my eye and reviews seemed good.  I ordered a couple of pair ..and now wait for that dreaded time to try them out.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I have a cup too but I often find I'm leaking so when I'm on the go I tend to default to pads and tampoons occasionally. I would love to master it not leaking most of the time. I'd save myself so much money.
MissDilly
229 posts
I found with the cup - I had to master the 'fold' that worked best for me (c-fold/heart fold was the one for me - folding in half it woudn't open properly for me), and I also changed brand of cup from the 'Hello' cup to the Mooncup and then the leaking stopped... it is a game changer when it works well but I hear you on the frustrations too - I still haven't got it 100% perfect but I couldn't go back to tampons now  :) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i understand that the cup works for many but 'i don't like the idea of it and i'm not keen to try' is sufficient reason not to, in my opinion.

I get a bit sick of reading things that try and force women into a decision they're not comfortable with around this.  It should be a choice and the anecdotes should always be framed as experiences.

I've read so much where it's all 'women who are still stupidly wasting money on tampons' etc - using tampons isn't stupid or a waste of money, it's my chosen way of dealing with the situation.

I think more care needs to be taken with this narrative.

I'd try the period panties, but I'm not keen to try the cup.  That might change, it might not, but it's my choice....
trudijoy
8375 posts
Not pointing fingers at anyone here btw just the general attitude around the use of a menstrual cup displayed by many women annoys me 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Hmm ... anyway ... 

I agree with MissDilly that the “C” fold works much better than just squashing / folding the cup in half, and it ensures that the cup “pops” open properly to form a seal.  I also used the MoonCup brand. 

@Tannygirl, when you clean your cup between uses, do you flush out the little holes each time? I found if I filled the cup with water, put my palm on top, inverted it and then squeezed it over the basin to force water through the holes a few times, that this flushed the holes and helped the cup to seal.  Also try squeezing the base gently, after inserting, that helps it seal, too.  
MissDilly
229 posts
Cups, tampons, pads, panties... whatever we choose, the great thing is that we have the luxury to choose.   I remember in my teens Stayfree pads were all I knew - and tampons were terrifying! Stayfree pads were like nappies - I think I slept on a Futon  with less padding in my younger years!  

I had my babies and tampons after babies was not a good thing.  Things, life, and our bodies change and we're so lucky we have so many options - we're not a one size fits all society and don't have to be.  I didn't think I could use a cup either - but weirdly I won a competition and won a cup, so decided I had nothing to lose.   There's no option that is really fantastic when it comes to a period - it's just what works for each woman.      But I will say, as a mum of a little girl, I'm really thankful for these forums like BR, where it is easy to talk about all of these things - the good, bad and 'argghhh' moments, because it empowers me to feel comfortable and confident when the time comes for me to start these conversations with my daughter.....  
trudijoy
8375 posts
Completely agree MissDilly. Choice is vital, so is open discussion and normalising things women have always felt less able to discuss openly.

a few years back I took a group of 11 year olds to Japan and had to have the period talk with the three girls (spoke with their parents but it was a requirement of the programme prep because there are some rules in japan around it). Then I ended up having to also tell the boys because they wanted to know too.

that was an 'intro to periods' talk and then when it was me who had to use the seperate bathroom when I started over there the girls carried on like we were in some secret club, was quite cute
trudijoy
8375 posts
Also on this topic, period apps are amazing these days. Mine pinpoints start and end to the right day 99% of the time and is never off by more than a day
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@Tannygirl, I just thought of something else ... What brand is your cup?  The constant leaking may be due to a size issue. I know the MoonCup was available in two different sizes, and size was based on age and whether or not childbirth had occurred.  Could your leaking issues maybe be because of the size of the cup?  

I’m just trying to help you troubleshoot and figure out why you’re having issues with your cup.  Sorry for all the questions. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   @Silvene I bought the Mooncup some years ago. I hadn't and still don't have kids so I went for the smaller size. I haven't tried flushing out the holes each time though maybe I will tomorrow. Since I started today. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@Tannygirl, definitely try flushing the holes and see if it helps.  

If you have any more questions, I’m happy to help, if I can.  If you don’t want to ask your questions in a public forum, feel free to message me via email (there’s a contact form on my website), or send me a message via FB or Instagram. Links to all of these are available via my BR profile. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
     @Silvene that tip for how to easily get the holes to flush really cleaned them out effortlessly. I did still have some leaking but since my shower last night when I cleaned out put it back in no leaks. But then my flow has lessened as well. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@tannygirl, I’m glad that cleaning tip helped.  Another thing that might be causing leaks could be the length of the “stalk” on the cup.  I ended up trimming mine right down to 5mm, but that was more for personal comfort than anything else. 

Have you read the FAQ’s on Mooncup’s website re: leaks? 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I like how there are so many options for females now.

I havent tried the period panties or moon cup option. Unfortunately I had an incident when I was younger and the thought of wearing tampons and moon cups still scare the heck out of me.

So at the moment I'm sticking with cloth pads which are really comfortable, easy to wash and great for the environment. 

tannygirl
3392 posts
   So this was the first time of the month I didn't use pads (just pantiliners) even at night and was fairly leak free using the cup. In the end I found what worked the best for me was the C fold, trimming the stem to half a cm and emptying it when I taking a shower as much as possible (although I did have to empty it when I wasn't showering) and using that tip from Silvene to flush out the holes. Also if you are going to cut your nails short or shorter doing that before using the cup is the best time in the month to do that. I'm so happy I was able to get it to work the whole time.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!