Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR Healthy Meal Delivery Services

10 posts, 5 members
tabucutie
1811 posts
I'm looking at getting healthy meals delivered as we don't get much access to the kitchen and work varied hours and could stand to lose some weight. I just did a search and there are so many different companies offering the same thing I am a bit lost as where to start. Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations: best company, best value for money, best food. Anything along the lines of that. Would be super helpful.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hey chick. I would say they will all be quite pricey in the end. Can you use a friends kitchen one day a week and meal prep then freeze all the meals? You will save so much money. Cook up big batches of meat ( unless you're vegetarian). Soups freeze well also. I'd recommend cutting out all sugar, you will lose weight easily. Sorry I'm not much help!
trudijoy
8375 posts
I agree with Lisa - every one I know of that friends subscribe to is pretty expensive,

I looked into it and decided against it for a few reasons:

- I'm not home consistently enough to get something delivered regularly
- i'm allergic to seafood and you don't tend to be able to swap out ingredients based on allergies (in the cook-yourself ones)
- I like to cook based on what I feel like eating, and I count calories, so it takes some of the control away for me.
- it's expensive

SOOOOO instead, I:

- batch cook and meal prep. I always have a curry and a pasta sauce in my fridge portioned out and ready to defrost and be added to pasta or rice or whatever. In the curry i tend to put a bunch of grated up vegies - pumpkin, carrot etc. In the pasta i usually put mushrooms and onion, maybe some courgette if i have it, and loads of herbs.
- use UberEats to order in as needed - I can get such a huge range of things on that, it's brilliant and not prohibitively expensive.
- figured out some super quick and easy fallbacks eg avocado toast, poached egg on crumpet, spaghetti with herb oil and cheese that i can make even if time and supplies are running low
- found a few local places that do good ready made meals - New World has an instant meal stand with some of the company ones on it but you only have to buy one at a time. The gourmet supermarkets usually have quality ready-to-go salads etc, or there's always the old classic rotisserie chicken and coleslaw.

I firmly believe that everyone has time to eat well, but that not everyone has time in the evening to cook every day. You just have to marry your lifestyle, what you want and what you can afford together in the easiest way.

For you that MIGHT be meal delivery (or ready-to-cook delivery) - I have friends who swear by those. it's just not ME
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I've been getting My Food Bag for a few years now and love it! Even if they have just emailed me to put the price up again. Grr. But I agree with Trudi, they're not for everyone. Yes, it is expensive but I know I'm paying for the convenience of someone else meal planning for me and then delivering everything. I'm a teacher and have huge decision fatigue at the end of the day. I would spend longer in the supermarket deciding what to eat than it does to cook the meals. I like being told what I'm going to be eating each day (again, not for everyone). Also I have practically no food waste either although they do use too much plastic in their deliveries. 

My Food Bag won't work for you if you have limited kitchen access though. There is a lot of cooking involved. This has definitely improved my skills though and I've yet to have a bad meal. 

My favourite go to meal for non Food Bag nights though is the carbonara recipe that Trudi got me on to - super quick, easy and delicious! 
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah i hate being told what to make and eat lol. YUM i haven't made that carbonara in a couple weeks, I need to!
tabucutie
1811 posts
@Lisa-Lou:Have done meal prepping before and it works for a couple of weeks then we just don't end up eating it and  I throw it out. Not a fan of eating from frozen and don't eat soup. I am a picky lazy eater. I am not too concerned about the money perspective, if I have to pay to and it works for me I don't mind. Valid point about the sugar. I need to make an effort,  I can start with that.
tabucutie
1811 posts
I have heard of My Food Bag, but yeah that won't work for me re:kitchen access. I am going to have a look through all of them today and see if I can cull the list down.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Fair enough! You have to do what suits you best :-) hope you find something suitable.
MareeB
5239 posts
When I'm living alone I buy bagged mesclun and cooked chicken, alongside salad veg and fruit. You never need to cook and there's few dishes. I don't like cooking, and will avoid it if I can.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Good idea Maree. I tend to do salads in the summer easy struggle in winter. I tend to want hot food.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!