Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR do you like your name? (were you meant to have another?)

17 posts, 13 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
We were talking about this at work the other day.... your name is the first thing in your life that's decided for you. You get no say (although sometimes you can choose a short version or nickname) and you're mostly stuck with it.

I was going to be Janelle, but I've been Trudi since Mum was in labour. I wasn't fond of it as a kid, too unusual, but I quite like it now <3
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I wouldn't go as far as 'hating' Rachel, but I really really really don't like it. It just sounds so boring and common. If I could choose I'd probably have picked a more meaningful name or something based on mythology. But my name was chosen by my parents because it sounds like my chinese name.
trudijoy
8375 posts
that happens a lot when people adopt English names I think! the Japanese name i use sometimes is a translation of my middle name; my first name could have worked too I guess...

Trudi means 'strong', but can also mean 'beloved' and so a name like Ai or Aiko has to do with love. I go by Sachi/Sachiko if I need a Japanese name though; my middle name is Joy and Sachi can be written using the character that also reads 'shiawase' which means happiness, or joy.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Oooh Sachiko is really cool! I like the kanji character for it too.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Once upon a time I knew what I was going to be called - maybe it was Claire. But I'm glad I wasn't called Claire, because I'm not a Claire. I'm a Shannon! It's Irish mostly and means little wise owl, I think, but I don't think I'm any of those things. Maybe a bit of Irish. And my step dad is Irish so I'll count it.

I have also changed my (last) name legally, as it was a New Years resolution, and the only one I've ever stuck to, and I'm super glad I did it!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ummm can't say I'm excited about my name but can't say I don't like it either. When I was younger I wanted something a bit more exotic but now I'm older it doesn't bother me. I was always going to named Sarah lol
SandyGedge
394 posts
Sandy wasn't my mum's first pick and I can't say her first pick was much better hahaha Cindy....but as the story goes....the neighbours got a new cat and called it Cindy so my mum changed me to Sandy.....both arnt exactly what is have picked but my parents chose it so it's special :-) I have four kids and took along time choosing their names so fingers crossed they like them too hahaha
Julieal
915 posts
I was named Julia but always called Julie as Mum thought Julia too hard -Go figure ?
littleparadise
178 posts
This is a cool thread! 
Very interesting to see if you like your name or not. 
I am still undecided. For the most part my name is fine, its a little bit different then the 'norm' but growing up my best friend who came in my class in primary school year 5 had the same name but a different spelling... and are still really good friends to this day. So our brothers and people at school always played silly tricks on us...

My name is Kelsey. Its quite a popular name in America, infact my Dad (who chose my name) named me after Kelsey Grammer (the actor from Frasier). Which I was not too happy being named after a boy when I was younger haha. Its a name that goes through the ages well, I think. 

I was going to be called Francesca which I think is really funky, could have been shortned to Franca, or Frankie. 

What I do like, is mine and my daughters name have kind of similar meanings... kind of. Her name is Avalon which means 'island of paradise' 
and mine means 'cenel's island' (cenel = fierce) so.... yeah I like Islands, tropical, beaches, ocean, sand and the sun... funny that I live in the Bay of Islands as well. 

Macs
5351 posts
Mum was deciding on two names. The first one she wanted to name me Roseana after the song . But ended up naming me Mac after my dad and added on the cine and came up with Maccine. She still put Roseana in as my middle name. I never liked my name. I wanted a Maori name like my sister. 
MareeB
5244 posts
I don't like my name (Ann Maree). My parents were going to call me Irene Bernadette but thankfully a family friend stepped in and said no. I would've liked an Irish name, Gaelic preferably, that reflected my ethnicity. I liked names like Kim and Fay when I was young. I thought they sounded delicate and feminine.
alikat
423 posts
Interesting thread. I dont mind my name at all. It isn't common, but theres two of us at work, so that makes it interesting when we get each others phone calls and messages. And we go out for lunch together once a week - Alison/Allison's hunt in packs lol. Hunting sushi. And gossip.

Mum said not long after my Nana passed, that she had wanted to name me Jessie after my great grandmother, but Nana had veto'd that as she couldn't stand the original Jessie. 
Ringy
825 posts
I've always hated my name. And yes hate is definitely the word. My dad wanted to call me Constance and my mum wanted Kathleen  - so I didn't stand much chance! Kathleen it is and it never got shortened or anything because when I was little I used to get cross at people shortening my name to Kathy so I've been told. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I like my name Lisa. I was going to be called Jess after my late grandmother. I think Lisa is quite common but I don't mind.
tabucutie
1811 posts
My name is Janice. I was named after my dad's mum Janis. I like it, it's definitely grown on me. Nickname Jan. Not so keen when I hear other Janis', I like to think i'm the only one. Though the only other Janis' I hear of are old ladies.
Julieal
915 posts
I think if you like someone you like their name as you always think of that nice person every time and you are open to like another person with the same name.
trudijoy
8375 posts
try being a teacher haha - thousands of names ruined forever :p

I think all experienced teachers get to the point of 'whatever, i'll just go with what i like'

There's nothing worse than friends/family naming their kids something you hate and have to use - you go with it because it's their call, and I'd never say anything.... but i'm eternally grateful that my nieces have amazing, beautiful names with funky, cute nicknames!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!