Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR -winter is here brrrrr

26 posts, 13 members
MareeB
5242 posts
..and all I have for heating is a heat pump in the lounge, which doesn't really cut the mustard down here in the south.

How are y'all keeping warm this winter?
Kimrose
1418 posts
Oh Maree we are feeling the chill here. Not as much as you but there is definately cooler.  I break out my winter pj's and slippers and a nice cosy robe.  We only have electric heaters in our apartment but when we move to our new one we will have a heat pump, I am looking forward to that.
MareeB
5242 posts
Yep heat pumps are great Kim. I probably need more than one though! I'm with you too - woolly PJs and woolly slippers for sure :)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
We don't have a heat pump, so it's warm winter PJ's, fluffy robes, socks, blankets and on really chilly nights, a fire. But, a fire only warms the lounge, the rest of the house stays cold, and by morning, the entire house is chilly once more. It's a race in the morning to get dressed as fast as possible without losing too much body heat. Lol.
shazatron101
5112 posts
we have a heat pump, the HRV system and a very good fireplace! we are yet to use the heat pump as its in the hallway, but it is right across the way from what will be a childs bedroom (don't get your hopes up Maree it still hasn't happened :P ) so i guess it'll get more use then. i usually shut the living room up and the fire heats it really well, and then when it gets too hot i open the hallway door to let the air flow down to our bedroom (the other doors are shut).

otherwise its hot cups of tea, warm pjs and early nights in bed with movies on the idiot box. and occasionally the electric blanket :P
MareeB
5242 posts
Awww Shaz.... said child would only drag you out of bed and into the freezing cold night anyway....best you aim for summer :)

That's pretty much how I roll too Silvene. It makes winter really miserable.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
We have lived in a farm house where the windows didn't close properly and the only source of heating was a fire place and heat pump. Only problem with that was our ceilings were high so the house never heated! The kids got so sick last winter.....We have since moved on and are in a house that is 6 months old. Double glazed windows and a fire place that heats the entire house. We are yet to feel the cold and I am so so so so thankful for this! Especially for my children's sake.

But hot coffee's and movies on the couch is nice and cosy too!
Macs
5351 posts
My place is freezing Maree. I'm waiting for the underfloor to be insulated but it keeps raining putting the job off longer. At the moment I have an oil heater that the kids and I hover around. My sister got into my car tonight and asked why there's throws in there. I keep getting cold even with the car heater. I'm searching for some gloves. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
The temp has definately dropped in Nelson. My place is small so quite easy to heat. I work until 9pm so tend to have a hot shower then jump into bed when I get home. I have an eco panel heater in my room and leave it on 24/7 so it is nice and toasty all the time. I love lazing around in bed when its cold....watching movies and generally being lazy :-) Hope everyone stays warm.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i got super lucky last winter and scored a practically new 11 fin evantair oil heater on trademe for $1.  it's amazing and i love it.  When I'm a proper grownup I def want a heatpump though

I'm not at all a 'pjs and dressing gown' girl.... but i do like snuggling up in a blanket on the couch and reading or watching telly
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I have my feet in one of these electronic footwarmers when I sit at my desk. It has a low wattage and paired with some woolen socks it keeps my feet nice and warm. At night I rely on my duvet, flannel sheets and a hot water bottle at on my feet. 
    To warm up in the evenings we take a warm shower and then wear a thick fluffy bathrobe till bedtime. We found some in the Warehouse and they really help especially since they are longer. During the day I wear extra thermals and a polar fleece jacket.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I have my feet in one of these electronic footwarmers when I sit at my desk. It has a low wattage and paired with some woolen socks it keeps my feet nice and warm. At night I rely on my duvet, flannel sheets and a hot water bottle at on my feet. 
    To warm up in the evenings we take a warm shower and then wear a thick fluffy bathrobe till bedtime. We found some in the Warehouse and they really help especially since they are longer. During the day I wear extra thermals and a polar fleece jacket.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
We have a warn house north, east facing with the sun hitting it all day and moving into the teens rooms for sunset. We also have a huge air conditioning system with every room having air ducts flowing into them and when it feels a little nippy sometimes in the morning or late at night I just turn it on and we're hot.it's only set at 22degree's but g wheeze it feels like summer, most probably because the house i's totally insulated and up high?
RamblingRose
1280 posts
And, of course, I end up with "Feline Paralysis" in winter ... my FurKid (ginger tabby) insists on sleeping on my lap as soon as we finish eating dinner, and he won't budge until bedtime. He then follows us to bed and usually sleeps on my feet, he's a great all night natural heater and we both enjoy the snuggles, except when he steals all the duvet. Lol.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I basically 24/7 have my feet on a hot water bottle with another one in my lap. Having a kitty feet warmer sounds adorable though, wish I had a cat.
Kimrose
1418 posts
Oh gosh, I so miss having a cat to snuggle with.  We had a cat called Ben and he was really big and snuggly. So warm!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I've popped a pic of my FurKid on the photo wall, for those of you who'd like to see him. He's busy looking at me with big round Puss in Boots eyes ... his signal to tell me to get off BR and go climb into bed with my book, because he's feeling cold and wants to snuggle. So, I guess it's bedtime for me. Good night, everyone. Keep warm! 
RachMc-An
4 posts
omg its been so cold, i don't think our heatpump can hack it either, like the real real cold hasn't started yet and its already struggling, glad me and the kids have wheat bags to warm up the beds a bit before getting in
MareeB
5242 posts
Oh, there's some good ideas. I have to say though, I wish I had a log burner. It's really expensive to put one in though, and I'd also need a wood shed. I think that every year and think I'll just do it, then when winter ends I forget how cold it gets and  let it go until it gets cold again, then I wish I'd done it - dozy eh?
MareeB
5242 posts
Awww your Furkid is very cute Silvene !!
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Nawww your cat is too cute! What's his name?
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thanks, ladies. That's one of my favourite pics of him because of the sleepy "smile".

His name is Pringles and he's an ex-feral. I adopted him when he was a year and a half, from a family that found him (and his siblings) in the bush behind their house. Some mean person had poisoned the mommy cat and the little kitties (they were only about two weeks old) had to be hand reared and bottle fed. 

After his his rough start in life, I couldn't bear to leave my FurKid behind when we moved to NZ,  he'd been a part of our family for nearly 6 years by then, so we brought him with!  He's definitely a spoilt cat. 
MareeB
5242 posts
Where did you come from Silvene? wow, did he fly over?
MareeB
5242 posts
It's freezing here tonight, and wind fit to blow the house inside out! good idea to have those hotties, wheatbags, socks and PJs at the ready... and snuggle up in a blanket by the tele for the weekend :)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Maree, we came over from South Africa.  Pringles flew direct, Cape Town-Sydney-Auckland, while we were on a longer flight that went Durban-Dubai-Melbourne-Auckland (3 days in a plane, it was not fun).

He arrived a day before us and I'd arranged for someone from quarantine to collect him, as he had to stay there for 10 days. We took the longer flight, as we needed the additional luggage allowance per person that that flight offered. An additional 10kgs each makes a big difference when the only clothing you have is what you can fit into your luggage! 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Silvene that is one well travelled kitty. 

I have been using a blanket in the lounge, and duvet, faux mink banket and artic sheets on the bed. If that gets too cold I'll add a hot water bottle to the mix. During the day I have aircon at work with a reasonable temperature.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!