Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR - Urghh it's that time again!

49 posts, 17 members
MareeB
5244 posts
So I just put flannelette sheets on my bed - signalling the end of any hope of good weather here in the summerless south!

Dreading:
- trying to apply makeup in the half dark
- no walks because it's too frosty/foggy/smoggy/cold/dark
- wearing tons of clothes and still being cold
- frosty windscreens
- rushing to shower and dress before I freeze

Looking forward to:
- not needing to mow the lawn
- staying in my pjs all weekend
- tv and movie junkets

What's your YAY! and NAY!about winter?
tannygirl
3392 posts
My winter yays:

- No flies
- Since it's cold I can close my windows during the night and not worry about the possibility of a rat jumping in my bed during the night through the open window (thought I was paranoid but it actually happened this New Year's)!
- Snug sleeping since you sleep better when it's cooler
- Great for sleeping in
- Fantastic bath weather
- Great time to indulge in skin and bodycare that would be too heavy during the summer and spring. I also like doing peels during this time, since I don't have hayfever this time of year my skin around my nose isn't raw from blowing.
- Oooh I can wear makeup that would make my look like greaseball in summer or that would be wiped off my nose because I'm always blowing it.
- Hayfever season is over! Oh that's wonderful!
- Yummy winter goodies like cookies.

My winter nays:

- Winter weight thanks to said goodies.
- Cold feet and chillblains for the next 4,5 months.
- Power bill increases dramatically, especially since our lovely home isn't insulated and you can't install insulation because of the poor design. It is a nice house overall for the rest of the year and we do love it.
- Dread having to shower or take off clothes or get out of the bath or wash hair.
- Dread getting out of bed and out from under warm covers.
- Dread having to excercise in cold living room.
- Laundry piles up due to lack of sun and dry weather, especially when it comes to sheets.
- Hair static!
trudijoy
8375 posts
oooh good thread. I love winter, even more when I get to be in the snow!

YAY:

- snow (not that we have that in Auckland)
- the warm cosy bed cocoon feeling
- scarves and boots and beanies and things
- escaping the icky humidity
- red wine
- winter food, especially a good roast
- super crisp, clear, blue skied winter mornings
- roaring fires - nothing makes you feel warmer!
- feeling completely justified in curling up all day with a book because 'its yucky out there'
- big fluffy jerseys/blankets/dressing gowns - wrapping yourself in a warm cosy bubble

NAY:

- when you're cold and it takes too long to get warm
- the raised power bills
- the inevitable winter cold
- that moment when you get out of bed and wonder if you will make it to the bathroom without freezing
- going vampire pale because it's cold and tanning is harder
- it being 'yucky out there'
MareeB
5244 posts
Oh yes ladies, I forgot about the power bills - BIG Nay!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Some may think I'm a tad mad, but I love the Winter, not a fan of Summer at all, way too hot, must be the British in me oops lol.

Yay

Cosy fire and Hot Chocolate spent with the family at night

No flies (totally agree with that one tannygirl)

Lots of rain and filling up of water tanks

So much more soothing, nothing better than listening to the rain on the roof, so therapeutic

Get to read some new books 

Cranking out the crockpot and having soups for lunch instead of salads

No muggy temperatures and feeling like I'm working in a sauna

Nay

So dark in the morning, hard to get motivated as it still feels like its night

Having to walk all the way to the other side of my works yard to use the portaloo when its pouring down with rain lol

Running chores in the rain, not so much fun ha ha ha

Having to use the dryer more as most of the time can't get any washing dry

MareeB
5244 posts
Ewww yeah, I hate flies too. This year we've hardly had any flies, no honey bees, few butterflies or bumble bees, haven't seen a single wasp, and no monarchs. I bought a swan plant last year and it has flourished with not one single monarch to eat any of it. It scares me rigid that the insects have disappeared so fast. It's rained here a fair bit too, which is unusual because this is a drought area.

Trudi your profile pic is lovely :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
Ewwww Auckland is full of bugs...

thanks Maree! I treated myself to an ei katu (flower crown) at last weekends Pasifika festival... getting in the spirit before my samoan trip :)
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
ohhhhh I am definately a winter chick....I do not do well in hot weather.

Yay
Roaring fire
Winter pj's and flanelette sheets!
Awesome boots and winter jackets
Lazing around in bed watching movies all day
Good hearty food
Not shaving my legs bhahaha
Snow fights!
Hot chocolate

Nay
Getting out of bed
Getting out of the shower
Dark when I get home from work

Hmmmm that is it I love winter so the positives are great!
MareeB
5244 posts
Oh Samoa sounds like a dream come true right now :)
MareeB
5244 posts
You'd love it down here Lisa - winter all year round!! well, not usually, but certainly this year has been!
trudijoy
8375 posts
I have Dunedin, then Samoa, then Melbourne... going to have a very confused body
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Maree where do you live? ohhhh sounds lovely Trudi
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Maree I'm down south and totally agree with you! It wasn't much of a summer, honestly didn't feel that long ago that I had the fire lit last. Now I'm doing it all over again!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
P.'s I also love pj days! I'm a movie and TV series junkie tooooo!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Yay
*Fire going most the day
*Snuggly blankets on the bed and couch
*snow
*slow cooker comes out

Nay
*The biggest thing I dislike Is the winter bugs that go around!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Yes the bugs and sickness definately a nay!
Macs
5351 posts
Winter nays:

*Darker earlier
*Climbing into a cold bed
*wearing extra layers
*frosty car window 
*millions of leaves to rake up 

winter yays:

*warm hats and ugg boots
*Fire
*Hoodies
*Candles come out
*onesie time

Thats all I can think of for now. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I like this thread >:) 

Winter yays: 
It's cold
Snow (it's sleet lets get real but I still like it) 
Soups and stews 
Roasting marshmellows in the fireplace
The fireplace
Baths 
Going up the mooountain
I don't have to mow the lawns
I can stay in bed for longer :P 
Alcoholic hot chocolates >:D

Winter oh god no's:
The powerbill
I can't go outside
I can't grow anything
It's cold
It's always raining
I can't dry my washing (no dryer and the laundromat is expensive) 
The cold after the shower
Washing my hair 
Going out

MareeB
5244 posts
Alcoholic hot chocolate? tell me more????

MareeB
5244 posts
I'm in North Otago Lisa.

Great place for onesies down here Macs!

I have Samoa in my sights Trudi, just don't know when :)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Baileys, Maree. Lots and lots of Baileys :P or the cheaper version of Baileys. golly gosh it's good
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Looking forward to the duller days that make it easier to justify watching tv.

Not looking forward to the cold and the weather.
MareeB
5244 posts
Mmmm that does sound good Shaz... it makes me wonder if my protein shakes shouldn't have an egg and whiskey in them for the winter...
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Oh cool Maree. Im at the other end of the island in Nelson :-)
Mmmmmm baileys....yussss
SandyGedge
394 posts
I love the colder weather. Not so much the rain though.

YAYS:
boots, leggings, scarfs and long cardigans.
Snuggling up in front of the fireplace.
Lots of movie nights with junk food in front of the fireplace.
Not feeling guilty for being lazier as the weather is crap outside hahaha
I love lots of stews and casseroles.

NAYS:
Huge power bills from the heaters and dryer.
Looking like a drowned rat some days and the rain ruining my makeup sometimes.
Getting into a cold bed and then having to eventually get out of a warm bed into the cold.
Oh did I mention getting out of bed...Period! Hahaha
Getting out of the shower in the mornings!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Pretty sure they should Maree :P 
Ringy
825 posts
Just bought a clothes dryer - 3 years in NZ without one and I caved and got the biggest bad boy I could find. I'm determined to get on top of my washing this year (before its gets on top of me - literally - piles of washing tumbling everywhere!) and I hate those white clothes horse things - there is never anywhere practical to put them.  

I love that in winter I can wear more and get to show off jumpers and jackets - I have quite the clothes collection I've noticed especially since moving house and havering to actually move it all!

I love that I can slather face and body creams on more in winter - my skin drinks them up more I think. 

I love winter perfume - I usually change to a richer scent for winter and I prefer them so I get to wear them for longer living on the South Island. My fave is Shalimar but not many people like it so I have gone for a change this winter and got Versace Eros, I'm also keen on and Amber scent from L'occitane but on testing it's staying power wasn't that good (especially to pay full price so I'll wait for duty free maybe). 

Hates....that our puppy is already showing signs of not liking the cold and wet = too scared to get her feet wet and pees inside! 

Hates...icy roads - I'm petrified of skidding across roads. 

siouxsannah
261 posts
Nothing says winter to me like the end of Daylight Savings Time. Here it is!
Arghhhh.
Julieal
915 posts
Too early for Tauranga for flanette sheets so daylight saving doesn't make ne feel winterish yet . I di like haveing a change of seasons though
Change of clothes
snuggly fires
less work outside

against dark
cold
wet

MMMM you are right roll on summer

k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I'm a summer lover

Cons: rain, cold, using the drier, darker sooner, cold lol,seems too long
Pros: movie's any time of the day, less gardening,darker sooner (kids go to bed on time),soups& casseroles,uggs&hoodies;
Roll on summer
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I actually like the inbetween times the best, not too hot and not too cold but I still have my favourite things.
Yay
- comfort food like soups, sausages and mash,
- curling up in a blanket
- no spiders
- rain when I am inside and listening to it
- hot water bottles

Nay
- ranchsliders with single pane glass = freezy
- power bill
- rain when I am outside in it.

Things I miss as I don't have them since I live in an apartment
- fireplace
- washing line

JessB
219 posts
After reading through this thread a couple of days ago I've made a decision. I'm buying a hairdryer! That's based on one of my biggest NAYs for winter: cold wet hair that never really dries on its own.  
And oh I know, I should already have one!

Yays for winter:
- reading a book in front of the fire
- making hot cocoa late at night
- making smores at my parents' place - inside!!! (love me some Jaffa Thins with melting marshmellows)
- being able to snuggle all night with my fiance without getting uncomfortably hot
- the crunch of frosty grass in the morning (as long as I'm wrapped up in a gigantic scarf-come-blanket, with a coffee)
JessB
219 posts
Oh and a big NAY for me: trying to dry washing. Unfortunately I don't have a drier :( 
MareeB
5244 posts
Love your new profile pcis Shaz and Jess :)

Mmmmm ragingfrog - bangers and mash sounds delightful! I love mash but have been avoiding it due to the low carb diet :(
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Maree it's been a favourite since my brother has an award winning sausage maker near him and he does all sorts of flavours. I haven't had a bad one yet.  Question would mashing the spud with the skin make it count as a vege?
Julieal
915 posts
With all this rain -stay safe everyone . Take care on the roads
shazatron101
5112 posts
Naw thanks Maree :-) 

Yes I agree definitely stay safe, don't drive if you can help it. The road going through Awakino has been closed so that'll be a long drive to go around for the poor truckers!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I actually got my hot water bottle out last night...brrrrr it was chilly. Shaz gorgeous pic!
Macs
5351 posts
I had the most amazing sausage at the green expo. Best I've ever had. It's very wet here in Auckland . I still went for my morning run in the rain it helps cool me down.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Macs that is great dedication! How is the fitness all going for you? Are you feeling awesome?
Ringy
825 posts
so I got this disc shaped hard heat pack for our dog - you microwave it and it stays warm for like 12 hours. No idea what's in it but let's just say the dog has to fight me for it! It's awesome - lasts longer than a wheat pack. Only down side is that it's solid ( so dogs can't chew it so much). Am going to get another they are so handy. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Ringy, where did you find the heat disc for your dog?  I'm looking for one for my cat's bed.  
Macs
5351 posts
Oh I feel so good Lisa. I run daily and do crossfit 3 nights a week. I've never been so healthy. I've lost 15kg in 3 months. I still got 20 kg to go. I was really overweight. I also quit smoking it's been 7 months since I had one. The only hard part is the eating. Easter is my favourite season . Especially hot cross buns. Now I'm trying to find some vegan ones I can indulge in .
MareeB
5244 posts
Well done Macs - that's amazing !!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Ringy that sounds AWESOME!!!! where'd you get it? 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Macs that is awesome! You should be super proud of yourself :-) Mmmmmm hot x buns are amazing. I hope you find something you can have. I find when I restrict myself too much then I want to eat all the food lol so I eat whatever I want one day a week and it seems to work :-)
Macs
5351 posts
Thank you Maree. It's hard work but I can see results. 
Macs
5351 posts
I used to do one day a week . Now I just have a free meal. 
Ringy
825 posts
I got one at the pet shop (Nichols) as I needed it instantly but have ordered one off trade me yesterday - I searched pet heat pad. The dog and I are currently snuggled on couch sharing the one I have. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!