Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR - Fave Christmas Recipes/Food?

21 posts, 11 members
KiwiLass
174 posts
With Christmas approaching some colleagues and I were discussing favourite Christmas food and there was so much variety and some good ideas for cooking and trying new recipes. What's everyone cooking/eating this year? Last year we put a turkey (sorry vegetarians, if which I am a former...vegan even) in the BBQ smoker and that was really good, with sausage and cranberry stuffing, smoked salmon, asparagus and hollandaise, and the classic baked ham in marmalde. I also made pannaccotta with cardamom and white chocolate, plus trifle (of course!).
But this year I'm doing duck and duck fat roasted potatoes, and a cherry stuffing instead......and the kids want banoffee pie and tiramisu for the desserts.
Guess I'll be wearing a maxi dress on Xmas day again ;)
trudijoy
8375 posts
my non negotiables are brandy snaps and champagne (not mixed together)

We do the big xmas meal on the 24th, which is my eldest nieces birthday - she'll be four this year. My brother and sister in law and their kids leave at midday on Xmas to go to the other part of their family, so we have the feast on Xmas eve, then a nice breakfast and coffee on Xmas day, do presents and more coffee, and usually a platter style lunch and dinner with champagne/wine through the afternoon.

Often we do stuffed roast chicken coz we all love it, with an array of sides, an entree and a couple of dessert options, usually with a nibbles platter mid afternoon to keep everyone going until the meal.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Yum reading all that made me hungry! We always have pav and brandy snaps for dessert. We used to do the whole Turkey thing but now it is more relaxed and usually just a bbq, I got some whitebait yesterday so will whip up some fritters and just do salads and meat, keep it simple.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    We do two Christmas dinners, one on the 24th and the other on the 25th. The 24th is roast chicken, homemade stuffing, mash, veggies and the trimmings. The other one is a glazed ham, potatoe salad, buns, salad and the trimmings. My brother used to do the cooking because he's a better cook than me but since he's been gone last Christmas it's been me and I'll do it again this year. Dessert is usually my sister-in-laws domain to come up with one and bring it for both meals. We also sometimes do a brunch with eggs, bacon, pancakes (but this year they'll probably be waffles since we have a new waffle iron), juice.

The kids also get stockings full of snacks so they go ham on those pretty soon after they get them.
Julieal
915 posts
We usually have traditional with ham,lamb and pavola but all I really care is family together as we all live in different places so the fact that we all make the effort to be together is wonderful.
MareeB
5239 posts
Mmmmm we have turkey and ham with salads, and home grown new potatoes and carrots, and baby peas. Then it's ALWAYS my home made pav, and this year I'm making a tiramisu because my son is coming home from Aussie and has requested it. We usually have home made cheese cake too but that might be a bit too much with the pav and tiramisu. We always have chocolate peanuts and raisons, roses chocs, and mixed cheeses and crackers. No one usually drinks much, but I like a couple of wines.
MareeB
5239 posts
I love brandy snaps - they may find their way into my supermarket trolley during my last shop before Christmas!
trudijoy
8375 posts
i've already been through one box of brandy baskets this holiday season hehe ;) amazing with a scoop of icecream and some strawberries in them!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I'll be in India for xmas day so I will probably be having a vegetable curry of some description!
KiwiLass
174 posts
YUM this is all making me so hungry! I also love brandy snaps and pav! And a bit of bubbly ;)
MareeB
5239 posts
Mmmmm I never thought of putting ice cream in them!
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Yum. All you're descriptions are making me hungry :p 

We have croissants and fruit mince pies for breakfast then we always used to do a roast with Christmas pudding for the big family meal. These days we do more nibbles with different people, rather than one big family meal.
MareeB
5239 posts
I like the nibbles idea. I think that'll be Christmas night and Boxing Day for us - just platters of meat, cheese, and salad and everyone can help themselves.
SmileyPisces
253 posts
A would love a nice choice of platters.... including fruit skewers, cheese balls and crackers.. a good ham and turkey or chicken roast with potatoes.. and a scrumtious Christmas pudding please... =D
MareeB
5239 posts
Mmm fruit skewers are a good idea. Ive also seen some great ideas on FB this week. I love the way creative people do platters.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I decided to make a low carb platter to munch on throughout the day. I just got most things I needed. Am doing olives, pepperoni, camembert, creamy blue,  deviled eggs, cucumber with cream cheese and salmon, berries, nuts, fathead crackers, cheese crisps, pickled ginger, hummus and aoli! Yum! Lol perhaps a few more bits and pieces when I do my last shop on Monday :-)
MareeB
5239 posts
Mmmm your platter sounds delicious Lisa x
trudijoy
8375 posts
That sounds yum Lisa!

im all about the platters. One of my good friends and I have a traditional ‘wine and platter’ whenever we catch up, and Xmas is alll about platters.

i often make cheese balls too - either a pesto one or a drunken fruit one. Yummmmm
Jesse
745 posts
Spending Christmas with my family since my fiance is working overseas this Christmas. Our families live several hours apart so we'll only do one a year. We do a lunch at my mother's or sisters which generally involves chicken, ham, salads, platters, bbq and dessert.  Always pavlova and Christmas cake for me, I'm the only one who likes fruit mince! There tends to be lots of grazing!

Christmas last year was at the inlaws and on a standard family lumch there tends to be a roast lamb and chicken, so you can imagine the extremes of food on Christmas Day. In spite of this their big celebration is Boxing Day brunch with extended family swinging by.

RamblingRose
1280 posts
Merry Christmas, ladies! 

I spent the day in in the kitchen yesterday, prepping everything so that I don’t have to do a thing today.  Salads are all made and just need to be dressed, pork loin roast has been salted and resting overnight, ready to go on the Weber later (hubby’s job for the day), and a bittersweet chocolate tart is made and waiting to be dessert (with whipped cream, or ice cream and berries). 
MareeB
5239 posts
Merry Christmas everyone. I hope you all have had a fabulous day x

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!