Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Natural deodorants

42 posts, 19 members
MareeB
5244 posts
This has probably been done before and my apologies if it has, but has anyone tried any of the natural deodorants? I see The Herb Farm and Weleda make them?
tannygirl
3392 posts
I would recommend Dept of Soul they're a NZ company that makes deoderants and lip balms. I have been using their stick deoderants for about two years now. I did really like the Black Chicken ones but those were pricey and come in a pot and while I did get used to it I much rather use a stick. I get a few months use with them maybe 3-4 months.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
My hubby and I have both tried Ethique’s Solid Bars and No.3’s Underbalm (comes in paste form in a pot).  Hubby is currently using a natural deo that comes in a recyclable push-up tube from Mia Belle.

Our verdicts:  I prefer Ethique to Underbalm, purely because the solid bar is easier to use.  I haven’t tried the Mia Belle ones.  Hubby prefers Underbalm, as he says it lasts all day and gives the best anti-odour protection, even if the paste is a bit of a pain to apply if you’re in a hurry. His second choice would be Ethique, as he’s not very impressed with the Mia Belle one - he says it only lasts half the day. 

There’s another brand called Aotea Road that I’m going to get for him next, as it’s also in a push-up recyclable tube.

ohnatural.co.nz also have a range of different brands of natural deodorants, if you’re just wanting to do a bit of research into what else is out there. 

MareeB
5244 posts
Oh thank you ladies. I shall look into those.  I want to detox everything I can out of my body. Most stuff is easy to find but making your own antiperspirant /deodorant is trickier.
MareeB
5244 posts
I noticed a range of coconut oil soaps in the Real Food Pantry this morning. I asked the assistant if she thought they'd work for hair She just looked at me as if I'd completely lost my mind lol so I still don't know. Next time I'm in there I'll buy some and let you know. Amazingly they sell Dr Bronner castile liquid and soap as well. Pretty pricey stuff though. The coconut oil soap (from Fiji) was $4.60 for a normal sized cake of soap. I'm up for ideas for anything chemical-free.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Maree I'd imagine you can use the soap on your hair but it may make it a little dry depending on the cleansing agent
MareeB
5244 posts
I'll get some and give it a shot Trudi. But on a day when I dont have to go anywhere. Just in case ...
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I know someone who makes their own soap and they’ve started using it instead of shampoo and they’re really happy with the results. So definitely worth looking into options.

In regards to deodorant, I’ve just started using the Sukin spray deodorant which is quite nice, but yet to find anything that deodorises like good ole clinical protection.
AboutFace
413 posts
Definitely interested in this as some deodorants that claim to be better for you often have other nasties. 
tamaraxo
12 posts
I own two natural deodarants and they've replaced my use of regular doodarants. One is geranium natural deodarant, which comes in a wee tub. You scoop a bit out and rub it in. The other is aotearoad natural deodarant, which is a push up tube. They both work well and I enjoy both, but the geranium is my favourite. The aoteraod one dries out quite often or the top goes kind of sticky of gross and I have to cut some off the top before I use it again.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I tried switching to natural deodorants last year, during winter, and they just didn't work out for me. I tried lots of different brands, including Ethique, Dirty Hippy etc as well as a product called Detox A Pit. Whilst I didn't smell with most of them, I did still sweat and this didn't lessen over time for me like it does for some people. The only one that seemed to control sweating was by Schmidt, but my armpits react to the baking soda in it if I use it every day. 

Soooo.....after finding out that you actual absorb more aluminium from your food each day, than you do from anti-perspiring, I went back to the good old roll on. I do use the natural ones on days that I'm at home, just to use them up so they don't go to waste. It's a shame as there's generally a lot less plastic waste with natural deodorants. 

MareeB
5244 posts
Thanks Soozie. I have a stock of baddies so I'm still using them as well. I will try Ethique and try their shampoo bars as well (they even have a purple one for my white hair!)I want to give the detox a good shot and see if I can rid myself of my health issues. The plant based diet has been a good start but now I want to push a little further.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Now I do highly rate the Ethique shampoo and conditioner bars! There's no going back to bottled shampoo and conditioner for me. 
MareeB
5244 posts
Ethique sounds fab. What about ecostore products?
MareeB
5244 posts
Oh cheers Lilmonmon. Is that on their website? Oh, yes it is. That's actually really cool.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I prefer the stick deodorants as they are so user friendly. I currently use Dove or Rexona but really like the sound of these natural ones, especially the Ethique one. It's my birthday on Saturday so maybe I'll treat myself. Great recommendations.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I've only used the Sukin one. Unfortunately for me I like to stick to my trusty dove cause I love it. Hope you find something with all these wonderful suggestions Maree
AboutFace
413 posts
I really like EcoStore, they have an ultra sensitive shampoo and hand wash which is great for sensitive skin and their lip balm is my favourite. Not sure if they have a deodorant though. I know I'm going off track but cleaning your house with natural products is good too, fill a spray bottle with half white vinegar, half water and you have an antibacterial cleaner that cleans a range of surfaces plus it works out much cheaper while better for the environment. 
MareeB
5244 posts
Thanks Lilmonmon. I'm in Dunedin tomorrow and if it's quiet enough (God help me) I'll pop into their Farmers. Ours is only small and doesn't carry much stock.

MareeB
5244 posts
Thanks Lilmonmon. I swerved Farmers in Dunedin in the end. I went into the Oamaru branch today and got the body sampler pack, the hair sampler pack and a deodorant. I didn't find a purple shampoo soap bar but that can wait. And might I say the young assistant might benefit from a customer service course. I will be buying online next time.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I tried one from lush.. i assume it was natural lol i didn't like it tho, it was a powder and black. Like. What the efff who makes black deo lol
Macs
5351 posts
I've noticed a few of my customers trying Only Good Natural Deodorant. Haven't tried it myself though.
Emily-jane
314 posts
I have just made the switch to natural deodorants. I thought I would start with a supermarket one as the salon ones are quite pricey and go from there. I'm using the only good one in Bliss (rosehip and marshmallow) smells great.  It's a roll on which is taking time to get use too but so far is ok.
MareeB
5244 posts
Oh I didn't realise Only Good made deodorants. I'll certainly have a look. I like the idea of Ethiques because there's no plastic.
tabucutie
1811 posts
I bought the Only Good deodorant when it was first released. Smells lovely but did not keep the b o at bay. I have an office job work 9 hours a day and I could smell myself by midday. I stopped using it but am yet to finish it up. Only use it now if it's a stay at home day as it won't matter if I smell a bit.
Emily-jane
314 posts
It's fine on cooler days when I'm at home but find the same tabucutie. 
Kat555
143 posts
Thanks for the info! I'm really keen to try some of these!
MareeB
5244 posts
So in the end I just stopped using deodorant. I have no underarm hair thanks to my Braun IPL. So no deodorant of any kind. And guess what happened? nothing. Nothing at all. Apparently on a vegan plant based diet sweat doesn't smell as long as you wash your underarms daily. So no deodorant and no smell. Very freeing. Now I'm reading about certain sectors who have stopped showering...yup, it's a thing ...
MissDilly
229 posts
That's really interesting Maree. I remember when I worked in India a few years back when walking around our office complex some people would come in quite close and 'sniff' at me which really freaked me out - according to my colleague we smell like milk because of our high consumption of dairy, so smell distinctly different in that office... seemed weird to me - I thought I just smelled of Mitchum and Miss Dior haha!  I guess if you remove dairy, egg product and meat products you're removing quite a lot of waste from your diet and leaving only whole foods so your body doesn't have to burn food quite so hard and your sweating less waste product?? I'm only guessing.... 
MareeB
5244 posts
Yes I've heard something similar from some Asian people who have never eaten meat and who say they can smell meat eaters.Funny eh? Since I've been detoxing I've become highly sensitive to smell and sometimes can't sleep elsewhere because the smell of the washing powder in the sheets is overpowering. I also struggle with the amount of chemicals used for cleaning at my job....
AboutFace
413 posts
That's interesting, I found when I switched to white vinegar for cleaning and a sensitive washing powder that when I went to someone's house I could smell the chemicals like bleach and even soap powder on people's clothes.
MareeB
5244 posts
It's quite shocking isn't it? it shows how desensitised we've become. There's a great doco on Netfix called "Stink" if anyone's interested.
sliphgrrl
1 posts
if anyone is still looking for a natural deoderant, i've tried a few and found the best NZ-made one for odour control is Little Mango.  You will still sweat using a natural deoderant, but this one does an amazing job of blocking odour for 24 hours or more.  I've also tried the new Ultrella - it does a better than average job of reducing perspiration, but below average job of blocking odour.  Both are paste deoderants that you apply with your fingers - apply to damp skin straight out of the shower for easiest application.
Kat555
143 posts
Thanks! I might have to try Little Mango. Do you know if they have stockists or just from their website? I tried an Ethique one but I really didn't like it. It pulled on my skin and it made my pits feel a bit sticky so I actually ended up a little rashy! I need to try the black chicken one. I think that's what its called.
MareeB
5244 posts
I like the Ethique lavender one. I only wear it when I think something stressy might happen in the day, because I usually don't wear any deodorant now. I liked the Ethique one but its easier to use in summer when it kinda melts onto your skin.
Tattooprincess
68 posts
I've been using a Himalayan salt block instead of deodorant. Have been using it for maybe 3 months, simply dampen it and rub under my arms. I'm not very active at the moment, as I'm on ACC and most of the year was not mobile, so I guess I'm not sweating near as much as I normally do (at work I'm on my feet all day in a busy retail store, and would do several 3-6km walks a week), but I have found the longer I've been using the salt, the less I notice a smell. And no one, not even my partner has mentioned any BO, so I'm thinking it's working.

i did use the Black Chicken paste last year, I quite liked it, but by the time I got to the bottom of the pot, my pores seemed to be blocked/inflamed, so I didn't purchase another one, I'm thinking it was a reaction to the baking soda.
SmileyPisces
253 posts
I recently ordered the roll-on ones from Essano. Apparently natural but have yet to try them =)
tabucutie
1811 posts
Currently testing an Aotea Road one. So far so good, it works as in i dont smell any b o throughout the day.  Haven't tried during exercise so unsure how this would hold up. For spring weather as an everyday deo option, this is a good one. Interested to see if it will continue to be a good option in the summer, more sweaty months.
AboutFace
413 posts
Have seen these in the supermarket and was wondering how effective they are.
@Tabu which fragrant one are you using?
MareeB
5244 posts
The Himalayan saltblock sounds interesting. I still use the Ethique occasionally, but prefer to use nothing. I never did try anthing else.
tabucutie
1811 posts
@AboutFace: Currently using Neroli Woods + Vanilla. Very slight scent, I really don't notice it. Also have Rose + Vanilla as a backup.
AboutFace
413 posts
Thanks TabuCutie :-)
I'm going to try this and I see that neroli oil is also antifungal and moisturizing.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!