Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

21 posts, 5 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
So I'm on leave atm and contemplating getting my nails done for the first time (had manicures and polish on natural nails many a time but not anything artificial).

What am I asking for? What's least damaging, most pleasant to get done etc?

i want them mid length and oval, in a pearlescent pink type shade. How long should I expect them to last? Can I take them off at home or do I need to go back into the salon? 

shazatron101
5112 posts
I like gels but i always, always manage to get the gel on the lamp when its curing time hahaha 

Gels you can also take off at home, i bought acetone for it (probably not salon grade though ;-) lmao)
But there are places that sell proper removal things that are salon approved hahaha

How exciting!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Gels, you say. 

are these a situation where you leave the salon and they're good to go like won't smudge or chip?
shazatron101
5112 posts
Yeah! The lamp cures them so you can touchy touch as soon as the lamp goes off really lol 

Every time i do mine it takes a few times washing hands to realize im not gunna bung em up haahahah

Cant remember how long mine last (dumb lamp but it does the job) but salony ones last ages 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Sounding like the goods! What sort of cost is there? 
trudijoy
8375 posts
And how long do they take to do? Lol all the questions 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Um... i actually have no idea haha i was going to say $30 but i actually think its more than that! Around my area its $45 and up, so roughly the same your way i would assume! Maybe extra if you get fancies added lol 
trudijoy
8375 posts
That's all good I was assuming like $50-$60
Tattooprincess
68 posts
I do my own Dip Powder nails. You can get them done at a nail salon, I did get them done professionally once last year, I think for around $60 with tips. I wouldn't do them with tips again.  They are better for the nails than other applications, less damage, but they do take longer than gels to soak off. They are hard like an acrylic and last 2+ weeks. 

I purchase my supplies directly from Gelish or Beauty Bazaar. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah I ended up with SNS/powder dip nails and I'm absolutely obsessed, they look exactly as I wanted (just a bit longer than I'd thought) and feel really good! 
Tattooprincess
68 posts
I did a lot of research before settling on Dip powder, and i love them! You can paint over them too. What colour did you get?

if you are thinking of soaking them off yourself when you're done with them, let me know - there's a trick! Do not peel them off, they can destroy your nails like acrylics if you rip them off!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh I 100% won't be peeling them off I promise you that. Concerned enough (being a first timer) that I've damaged them already so won't be taking that risk. 

i saw some kinda  gel clip things that you can use instead of the tinfoil trick but I think I'll just get the salon to do it at this stage. Thank you so much for the offer though! 

there's a pic of them on the wall, I got a really subtle pretty blush pink with a pink glitter ring finger feature  nail on each hand, exactly what I wanted :)
Tattooprincess
68 posts
@trudiijoy I added a picture of mine to the photo wall. Yours a pretty, that's a great colour on you too!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Just commented hon, very pretty! 

thank you :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
Two days in and I'm used to them and love them. They are too long though, I'm typing like an absolute weirdo with my fingers kinda stretched out and tilted up at the end 
Kimrose
1419 posts
Your nails look lovely Trudi. I have been getting gel the last few times. For me and my very physical job (physical for my hands) they will last at least 2 weeks. Where I go they have a loyalty card which is great.

trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks Kim. Not sure I'll get them very regularly but definitely every now and then :) 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Love the nail pics! I just took my press on one's off. Week and a half is good and I'll be able to reuse them. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Sad face, three weeks in with the SNS nails and they were still looking awesome! They'd grown out noticeably so I infilled them with glitter polish and did a wee glitter fade  stripe and was convinced I could get another week or two....

.... I didn't factor in typing, and admitted defeat today when I spent probably six hours solid banging out notes, admin, contracts and social media releases with my wrists at an angle that accommodated my nails but caused me pain.

So here I am with short, neat , bare nails, a bottle of something to make them healthy (although they don't look any the worse for wear) and a plan to get them done again in a few weeks, with shorter tips or just on my natural nails.

Am definitelysef an SNS convert  now!
Tattooprincess
68 posts
Three weeks wear is pretty damn good! I get 3 weeks but having spent almost all year on ACC, I wonder if I'll get that much wear from a set when I'm back at work. I usually change them every 7-10 days, but only because I have the time to do so.
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah i was really surprised, they still looked fantastic after three weeks too!  A couple of very fine hairline cracks in the SNS where i'd hit them on stuff but that was it - still shiny and you had to look pretty closely to find the cracks. 

They survived hundred of kms of driving, lots of time on beaches, packing and unpacking cars, three weeks of work, lots of cooking and a bunch more.  I'll go to the same place for my next set, hands down. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!