Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Men/Boys in makeup

26 posts, 15 members
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I know this is quite a controversial topic to talk about but I think it's an interesting one.

Yesterday I did my sons makeup, he's 10.

I was quite hesitant to do so but he had asked me for a week and half if I could do it.
so with it being a stay at home day I thought why not! At the end of the day makeup is for everybody, right? Doesn't make him less of a boy, I'm not turning him into a girl and it washes off at the end of the day.

As a mother I wanted to protect him from anything negative so only shared it on my private page so friends and family could see as I knew they would appreciate how I see the art to it, because in hind sight for me a face is blank canvas waiting to have a masterpiece created on it. Just like a artist and their paper and a tattooist and blank skin.

With just under 50 likes and wow and amazing and he's gorgeous comments I was confronted with a negative one! I couldn't quite understand it but everyone has a opinion and judgement about this sort of thing.

My question to you ladies is for the ladies that aren't comfortable seeing men/boys in makeup what is it that makes you uncomfortable? And for the ladies that like it what do you like about it? :) 

If anyone wants to see our creation I am happy to share it on the photowall as he is comfortable with that too xx
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I personally don't see a problem with it. People are far too judgmental these days. Being that he is only 10 years old he is probably curious and also fascinated by makeup. If a guy wants to wear makeup then so be it. But then on the otherhand I wouldn't want my man to wear makeup but that is purely because that is something that I am not attacted to so my personal preference. I would love to see the pic Amy.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I was an 80s teenager and men in makeup was the fashion! Even my dad used to put on a bit of eyeliner when he was playing in the band lol. The Dance Exponets movie the other night bought back lots of memories of those days. 

I would love to see a pic too. I'm more inclined to ask if 10 is too young to be wearing make up (regularly) rather than thinking along gender lines. 

Amyxxoo
1155 posts
That's a good point Soozie! Personally I wouldn't allow makeup to be a regular thing at the age of 10. A little bit of fun play like we did yesterday sure, and even then I still wouldn't do it regularly.....even considering it being a one off sort of thing :)

photo on wall xx
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I saw the pic, he looks good. He probably sees you using nice soft brushes on your face and it feels really nice to sit and get beautified. Agree with Soozie, the only problem is he's ten but hey a little dress up for fun never hurt anyone. 

Oh Wayne Goss actually did a great tutorial on how to do guy makeup, if your son is interested.
trudijoy
8375 posts
You said it all, for me, when you said he'd been asking, and had kept asking.

10 is too young to wear makeup daily (and there's no real need) but it's also not too young to have begun to develop a real sense of self - and at this crucial stage, to tell him that what he is drawn to trying is abhorrent will lead to feelings of self doubt and not fitting in if he continues to be drawn against existing norms as he grows.

As a mum, by doing this, you've just validated his right to be who he feels that he is, and by posting it, you've stated that you are okay with your children revealing their true selves as they grow.

This may be a one off. This may simply be 'Mum loves it, what's it all about?'. It may indicate nothing about his future - it may indicate everything. But you've now told him that it's okay to be him, whoever he is, and that you'll love and be proud of him no matter what.

You will ALWAYS cop hate for this, because people haven't thought about the consequences. I taught 10 year olds. I taught a LOT of them. I've seen the results of what you did for you son vs the boys who were 'told to be real men' and felt they weren't allowed to do certain things or they'd lose their parents respect.

Good for you, Amy. Your boy is loved and celebrated, and he will know that.
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh and personally i'm attracted to the rougher, more traditional 'manly men' but that's just personal taste. I have a friend who is a drag queen and friends who dabble in guyliner etc - just the same as i have female friends who wouldn't know where to start with makeup, and don't want to know.

At the end of the day, people are people, and if it's offensive to you you're entitled to your opinion - but keep it to yourself imo. Your negative comment friend is allowed not to be okay with this BUT it's rude and inconsiderate to tell you that when you've made a decision that could positively affect your child in the long run
MareeB
5239 posts
You did a great job Amy.

Honestly, who cares what anyone else thinks about anything. Follow your heart and you won't go wrong.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Thanks for the positivity! Exactly Trudi, I want my children to grow up to not be afraid of who they are and who they want to be. No matter what I'll always love them. 

It it was a load of fun to do and I was really taken back that he had asked me to do it. He's gotten to see first hand what I love to do, one it's nice to see him take interest and take part. He may never ask again. 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I'm all for makeup on anyone! I don't care if you're male or female, it's your face so if you want to put on makeup when why not? I think it's great now that society is gradually coming to accept guys for wearing makeup, because it's really just another form of expressing yourself. For a little boy it's probably more curiosity after seeing his mum wear makeup, and the whole point of childhood is being curious about everything and experimenting! 

I see nothing wrong with it, and you did an awesome job too by the looks of it!
eringracem
30 posts
I think men/boyd in makeup is fine. People are so judgemental over the stupidest things nowadays, it's unbelievable. Good on you!
Macs
5351 posts
I think it's becoming more acceptable for children to wear make up . Especially boys. I've seen a few children with make up instagram and twitter pages.

Encouraging our kids to express themselves is healthy. Your doing a great job as a mum Amy. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Beautifully said Trudi. And Amy, he looks amazing - just like his mamma! He's obviously seen the enjoyment you take from make up and wanted to try it for himself. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Just wondering what happened to Dylan who used to come on here. Haven't seen him on instagram either. 
MareeB
5239 posts
That's funny soozie, I was wondering about Dylan recently too.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I've just checked all his social media Maree and he hasn't posted since last year. 
Macs
5351 posts
It was Dylan's review that made me buy Mac Prolongwear Foundation. I wonder what happened to him.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I found another instagram account for him. So he's still about, just not doing the makeup thing on social media. Shame as he's super talented. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I think this is awesome to be honest Amy xxxx Not only is he showing an interest in what Mum does, but he is also experimenting and finding out who he is.  A bigger bonus that you are bonding with him.  I think its gorgeous.

There are always going to be haters, and it might be because they don't understand it, or are just plain rude.  People give all sorts of hate - wrong clothing, wrong hairstyle, wrong this and wrong that. Ignore those people hun, they don't matter. What matters is that your son had lots of fun (he looks gorgeous by the way) and got to experiment and hang out with Mum.

I don't agree with this whole makeup should only be for girls, heck if boys or men want to wear it because it makes them happy and feel better about themselves, then who are other people to judge and tell them they can't.  

There are some fantastic male makeup artists out there, like Wayne Goss who I think is so awesome. 

Whether this is a one off or your son wants to keep experimenting with makeup now or in the future, he will know that he has a wonderful, caring and supportive Mum xxx
MareeB
5239 posts
Oh cheers Soozie. He might be back some time then.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
You ladies are so awesome! :) thank you for all the genuine feedback xx
JessB
219 posts
A little late to the thread, but have seen the photo Amy and he looks gorgeous!! I have no problems with anyone wearing the make up (or clothing for that matter) that they want to. I agree with the age thing - but a fun make up day as a treat at 10 is a great idea and looks fun. I applaud you Amy for wanting your son to be able to express himself and explore who he is. RuPaul (a famous drag queen - dare I say THE queen of queens) says that people shouldn't be afraid to use all the colours in the crayon box, and I fully agree. 
Kimrose
1415 posts
Good on you Amy, each to their own, its great for kids to make their own choices, and to be able to make their own choices. 
I grew up doing children's theatre and, while it's a bit different, everyone wore lots of makeup every show.  Yup, young boys who were expected to manage their own foundation and eyeliner!  Stage makeup is quite different, so I doubt any of the boys would have become makeup artists off the back of that experience, but it was a situation where it was totally normal for boys to wear makeup.  

In my experience young guys like to play around with dressing up and trying makeup - why should girls have all the fun?  It's just a pity society tells guys that they all need to be manly and put down that mascara wand!  
Julieal
915 posts
Experimenting is part of growing and learning to be yourself. Your son is showing he has an individual charactor and can only benefit from being allowed to express himself.
pintsize
1072 posts
You are such a great mum for letting him experience it for himself and letting him make his own mind up.
As for boys wearing makeup, actors do it all the time on screen and off, there are some gorgeous male make up artists and wearers and personally I don't see the problem.
He wants to be part of what you do... enjoy it, teach him some skills that he may or may not use one day... a bit of fun for you both <3

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!