Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Maori beauty words!

14 posts, 6 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
so i don't speak Maori but it's Maori language week and I'm wondering what the words for some of our beauty items/routines are!  I know 'ataahua' is beautiful but I'm wondering what words for beauty products/routines etc are 

Who can educate us on beauty words in Maori? :D

edited because the macrons caused the post to be rejected then go weird :(
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
That would be funny to translate since there are no traditional words related to makeup in perticular (correct me if I'm wrong) most common words would be straight transliteration so cream for your face would be kiirimi = cream kanohi/mata =face and so forth so what are the words you're wanting to translate Trudi? :)
Macs
5351 posts
Another interesting thread Trudy. I never thought of this before. Make up Hanga (make) Ake (up) . Definitely look into it further. 
Rajvee2588
221 posts
Good to know some maori words. I would love to learn some words

trudijoy
8375 posts
keri i'm just a linguist, i like knowing the different words for things...

Macs do you put those together in the same order so make up = hangaake?

I know most of the beauty words in Japanese, but often those are just transliterations of English words (mascara = masukara, conditioner = rinsu (rinse) etc....)
Macs
5351 posts
Yeah its in two seperate words.  I would love to see some maori words created for contouring , blending, eye shadow and so on. It's a good idea. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
So it's the same with Maori Trudi it'll be transliteration
Ahua = appearance
But with such things as mascara eyeshadow contour etc transliteration is the friend honestly but things such as body parts they're already got Maori kupu & the like art = toi body =tinana body art = toi tinana.
Etc
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Ahua can translate to makeup aswell because Maori to English isn't exact translated the best example of this is Te Tiriti O Waitangi
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Atarangi kanohi = eyeshadow
Whakapaipai= makeup aswell
Aratau mata = face contour
Aratau kanohi = face contour
Macs
5351 posts
Thank for sharing Keri. Definitely write those down
trudijoy
8375 posts
Kia ora Keri! Love how BR always has answers :)
I love learning new things from beauty review.... Thanks girls
shazatron101
5112 posts
I love this thread!! Don't know any beauty (well know I do!) But I know a heki comes from a heihei ;-)
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Purootu=beautiful

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!