Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Makeup printer

33 posts, 21 members
brushandbullet
395 posts
Oh, no big deal, just a PRINTER THAT PRINTS MAKEUP.
kayxcake
422 posts
What??? lol... would any of you try this? 
Susilia
484 posts
Holy cow!! What the...???
Hollie
320 posts
That is super cool.
sunelizabeth
410 posts
woah that's pretty cool
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Awesome
Whaaaaaaat??  I just had a quick read??
chikoboo
3402 posts
Yeah I'm a wee bit skeptical on this one, 3D printers are awesome (have had a play on one once) and its all a bit plastic.  Not sure if the makeup would be effective or good for you.  Not to be a sourpuss, but the concept is frecking awesome!!!
tannygirl
3392 posts
 I would have to see one in action. I wonder if it's more like stickers or you have certain ingredients in the printer and it mixes the formulation and duplicates the color you want?
brushandbullet
395 posts
3D printers print out whatever ingredients you feed into it, whether that's plastic, human cells (for making artificial organs), or powders and pigments for makeup. If you watch the video, you'll see it demonstrated.

It'll never replace mass produced makeup, kind of like how our at-home printers don't replace publishers, but it would be amazing for custom-made stuff. Like, if your skintone isn't catered for (like in NZ, if you're really pale or really dark often you're SOOL for foundations), or if you want to reproduce a limited edition colour.

I went to a perfume launch last night where they talked about how most mass produced fragrances are super cheap to make -- the latest Marc Jacobs perfume cost them $1.40 per bottle to produce (juice + packaging). Makeup is the same. I'll probably still enjoy buying makeup from cool brands, but this is an alternative if you like to experiment!
colleencanary
764 posts
I agree with you chikoboo... I cant imagine the makeup being good for the health of your skin.
brushandbullet
395 posts
Colleen: that's totally gonna depend on the substrates (the raw materials) that they use. 
emzor
143 posts
In the video I watched about it, she said she wanted to the power taken off the makeup manufacturers.

I can imagine if this type of thing takes off, makeup manufacturers will start making their own different "inks" for them so you'd still have a choice between low quality or high quality.  You'll also have competitive pricing, so it will still put the power with the manufacturers.
brushandbullet
395 posts
Emzor: yeah true, like there will be a Chanel printer cartridge or a Maybelline one. The printer manufacturer could have their own brand though, like Pams/Homebrand/Select :D
colleencanary
764 posts
I guess these days I'm really concerned about using good skincare products and good makeup products because my acne is blowing up worse and worse. Is you have skin doesnt mind any type of products and wont break out then you would okay I imagine. I wouldnt risk it for my sensitive skin.
brushandbullet
395 posts
Yeah true, you'd still want to know the ingredients and what the formulas are like. They won't be exempt from that. 

So annoying, I find that when I have bad breakouts I just don't want to wear makeup cos often it ends up looking worse, or feeling worse.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
The idea is amazing but I don't think I'd try this just because I would like to know what is in my makeup and that it is FDA approved. 
brushandbullet
395 posts
Jessicka: true, probably too much of an investment for me, plus I like shopping around for makeup.

There's no reason that whoever makes the "cartridges" would be exempt from having to have FDA-approved ingredients. They're just as subject to regulations as everyone else. 
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I like shopping around for makeup too - for me this would take some of the fun out of it. Yeah... I just wonder how many companies would have these 'cartridges' and how they would vary in terms of ingredients and quality. It's a rad idea and something I would try as a novelty but I wouldn't buy one. I know it sounds lame but I really like the whole experience of purchasing makeup, and having the packaging to open. It's like Christmas every time lol. 
Chaotic82
522 posts
You would have to  make a lot to make up for the price range.  I guess one positive might be if you loved a certain colour or something but the formulation of the product didn't work for you, you could try and replicate it without the irritating ingredients?  
HouseOdBanana
350 posts
This is so damn cool! Imagine all the cool makeup one could do on this! Maybe in the future the printers will be the expencvie part and the makeup super cheap since everyone could do it at home!
HouseOdBanana
350 posts
What the MINK video for more info! All I can say is WOW! The girl that is the founder has really thought of everything! This is all FDA approved and she will be charging $300 for the printer to start with then the ink will be very cheap she said! I think that this is so damn good! A really good investment if it makes it to the markets, I mean you pay $300 on off and then the sky is you limit on what you can make!

In the end of her presentation she says that with this now girls and women can choose them self what beauty is not the corporations. I thought that was very powerful said by her! And I think she has a good point.

Also in the end she gets "rosted" by the judges panel and they ask alot of tricky questions. 
G1naz
10 posts
Wow, I would be so keen to give one of these a go. There is nothing more frustrating that getting a great look at a make up counter, and then when an important night comes along you can not replicate the look - especially true with eye make-up.
3D printers are very cool, and creative, so why would a make up printer be any different.
I want one!! :)  maybe I can ask Santa for one for Christmas??
Stelle90
120 posts
This sounds amazing!! I would love to have a play on one of those printers and see if it was worth investing in. I love creative stuff like this and think its so great that technology is allowing for such amazing products like a 3D makeup printer!!
brushandbullet
395 posts
I was just saying to a friend today, they need to make Homer's Makeup Gun (sorry that video is really shaky).

On that note, did you see that MAC is coming out with a Marge Simpson collection later this year? I hope they don't f*ck it up.
1139 posts
I can't decide whether the MAC Simpsons collection will be really awesome or really awful but I'm hoping it will be a good one! :)
Jesse
745 posts
Okay a Simpons MAC collection has me excited. I already want the Maleficient stuff, I'm such a sucker for cute packaging!
paolapar
72 posts
This is so interesting! Imagine, this is only the first time for this makeup printer so the quality may not be as amazing but its only the first time and with technology always changing, just imagine what else it could bring out in the years coming! 

Chaotic82
522 posts
I just can't quite imagine what will inspire the products, Marge doesn't wear a lot of makeup.  Would the colours be pulled from the colours of the show in general.  Gah.  Have to wait and see hehe
brushandbullet
395 posts
"=13pxIn the end of her presentation she says that with this now girls and women can choose them self what beauty is not the corporations. I thought that was very powerful said by her! And I think she has a good point"

Villemesic: I think that was my favourite part.

Manda129
419 posts
Just watched the video, amazing! Would be awesome to print out your favourite foundations and lipstick shades :)
HouseOdBanana
350 posts
brushandbullet, yes that got me sold to the product. But I think she has an actually point not just selling skills.
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Gotta admit it's a pretty cool concept. I'd be hesitant to buy it... I'd be more inclined to buy it once it was more well established and actually had some credentials behind it.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!