Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Makeup brushes... when to replace?

26 posts, 18 members
bronjenks
253 posts
Hey ladies
I was just admiring some lovely RT brushes on iherb.com and it got me wondering... how often should you replace your brushes?  Does it depends on brand? Do the bristles go funny when they are nearing the end or do they keep their brushiness in spite of being really, really well used?

I have some Bossy brushes (my first) and would really like to upgrade but just wondered if I should wait till they have demised before I replace as I have a very limited budget.

What do you guys do?

pintsize
1072 posts
Great question :D

I recently retired my first set of brushes (they were a couple of years old), after buying an individual brush on a whim (to save paying freight lol), plus a few other random brushes (either out of beauty boxes or other whim online order fillers).

I made the decision based on the fact that most of the newer brushes I had were doing a better job than the older ones (oh and a handle broke on one).

My newer ones are easier to clean too.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I have too many brushes atm and will have a wee sort at the weekend. I keep my brushes SUPER clean so they will last well. How do I know I need new ones then? I have a pretty brush jar, and the brushes don't all fit, therefore I have too many. Easy haha.

I'll hand the old ones on, probably to Mum. I'll keep my RT one, my Sephora one, my 2x Essence ones, my 2x e.l.f ones, my Revlon set (that kirstyj gave me xx) and my Bossy set, plus a couple of waifs and strays, and move the rest on I think.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Bronjenks, I confess I bought more brushes so I wouldn't use a dirty brush but the reality is yes I still use dirty brushes but they are probably not as dirty as they were previously. I picked up the RT eye brush set and have been using these for powder and my older ones for cream or wet use.
As long as the brushes are doing the job keep using them just build up some additions to it. If brushes are shedding or handles broken, reallocate use/bin them.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I stop using brushes when they don't feel like they doing the job as well, when bristles start to fall out etc, or when they feel a bit hard or dry and no longer feel as comfortable to use.
Macs
5351 posts
I use my brushes until they start shedding. I use to wash fornightly but have been a bit slack lately. I only just washed my brushes yesterday after a whole two months.
Ringy
825 posts
I've heard about this really slack person - whose name may or may not be the sound a phone makes- who can't actually remember the last time her brushes were washed. I'm pretty sure she usually only washes them when they start smudging the wrong colours around. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I replace my brushes when they start shedding, if the ferrule (metal part) comes unstuck or if they lose their shape.  It all depends on the brush and the quality of the brush.  I've had some expensive brushes that had to be replaced after one year.  I also have some really cheap (drugstore) eyeshadow brushes that still look almost new and they've been used every day and washed often for the last 10 years and are still going strong! 
I haven't replaced a couple of my brushes in years, I just find when I wash them and they still seem as good as the day I got them they do a great job so why replace them although I have been looking at getting a new set in a roll. Think I'll keep those 2 favourite ones aswell since they have lasted so well would be rude to get rid of them 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
This is such a good question! It hasn't quite been a year since I purchased my first ever makeup brushes from Bossy which are still in amazing condition. I was gifted a R.T brush from Kirsty xx and it's so amazing! I plan on getting some more after reading the reviews.
I think I wouldn't replace them unless it was absolutely necessary. I think if your brushes are cleaned regularly and we'll kept and looked after they shouldn't need replacing too often? I could be wrong :) I plan to keep mine untill they wear out from over use syndrome lol or if they fail me like and start to fall apart.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Good quality brushes should last a long time if cared for properly. I say keep what you have for now and take care of them. I don't believe in upgrading for the sake of it.
Lutece
1849 posts
This is such a good and interesting question, I still have makeup brushes that I have kept since I was 17 years old. I throw each brush out when it starts to fall apart, eg. Starts freying, the tops of the brushes go in all sorts of directions. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
I actually haven't really replaced brushes more like just added to my collection. But I probably should either give away or toss that kabuki brush I have that keeps shedding. My RT brushes still look good and have been what I've been using for a few years.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I throw mine out when I'm given new ones lol :P thank goodness for friends who buy brush sets and then cull their own well looked after collection :D 
idomakeupnz
150 posts
If you look after your brushes you should never need to replace them.
Keep them clean, keep water away from/out of the ferrule, keep the handle dry and give them a good conditioning once a month to keep the bristles in good condition.
Some brushes are poorly made and will fall apart whether you look after them or not but most brushes can definitely last you a life time if you look after them right.
I suggest using a gentle shampoo (baby shampoo is great but I also love African black soap), to wash your brushes. You should deep clean at least once a month and spot clean in between use. Condition them after a deep clean to keep the bristles soft, especially if they're natural fibres. Shape the hair before it dries and either lay the brush flat, on an angle with the hairs pointing down or upside down with the bristles facing downwards.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Interesting thread my brushes are not very old I do have some that are from 2013 but good to know that care plays a part to their longevity.
bronjenks
253 posts
Wow! Thanks ladies, some awesome advice there. Arent we all so different about things?  I'm such a novice I had no idea until not that long ago that brushes can be almost their own art medium, lol.  I'd love to extend my meesley collection and try different brushes (maybe a new obsession?).  The Bossy brushes have been a great starting point for sure and I do clean them about every two weeks and sometimes in between if there is a lot of colour flying! 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Bronjenks you have been enabled, buy the brushes.
I wave my magic wand.
bronjenks
253 posts
@ragingfrog..... Now, THAT is hard to resist! lol.  
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I have two Mac eyeshadow brushes that I've used nearly every day since I bought them. I thought I'd had them eight years but I think I've had them over ten! They're well loved but not well looked after. When they are washed they come up lovely. I thought they were a bit meh for the price when I got them.  But as they are still going stronger a decade later, I love them! 
tannygirl
3392 posts
idomakeupnz, how do you condition your brushes? And do you need to condition taklon bristles like the real techniques brushes? What about the duo fiber ones? 
Rezee
1964 posts
I'm interested to know what you do to condition them too.  I've only had to chuck out brushes when they fall apart at the handle, but thats generally just the cheapies like elf that do that. I''ve had some of mine for a few years now and they are still just as good as new. I only downsize when I end up buying too many. I wash mine weekly and also use the bossy quickdry brush cleaner in between usage so I don't really use a lot of brushes and generally stick to my faves.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
For a deep clean, I've always washed mine with baby shampoo and then conditioned with ordinary hair conditioner.  Use whatever conditioner you currently have, just rinse the conditioner out after leaving it on the bristles for a minute or two.  I normally put conditioner onto all my brushes one-by-one and then start rinsing it out so that by the time I've conditioned the last one, the first is ready to be rinsed. 

I do this for both my natural fibre and synthetic brushes.
Macs
5351 posts
I didn't know you condition them. Im interested to know what product you use.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I'm interested in knowing too I assumed that the bossy brush shampoo dI'd a deep clean of the brushes. So there's more we need to be doing?
idomakeupnz
150 posts
I typically use what ever conditioner I have in the shower but I prefer ones for deep conditioning or something with argan oil in it. Usually I don't find my synthetic brushes need conditioning but I will do it sometimes, I just like to condition my natural hair brushes as they can get a bit dry and scratchy after a deep clean. 
I always put my shampoo and conditioner on little saucers and water them down a bit so it's not so concentrated (I find it can be hard to rinse out other wise). I just dip the tip of the brush in the conditioner and then work it in and rinse.
I think it's just about finding what works for you, as long as you clean them regularly and are gentle then you'll be fine (:

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!