Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Long wearing foundation recommendations

19 posts, 9 members
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Evening, so I love my Rovie foundations, but I am finding that having to wear a full face of makeup every day its just not quite enough coverage and by my afternoon classes I have noticeable patches where its won off.
So im looking for suggestions of medium to full coverage foundations that will last me all day - more natural/animal friendly brands would be great <3
(and apologies, im sure this has been discussed to death but im on the tablet and its not fun to search with!!)
MissQT
1547 posts
Hiya, I've seen a couple of threads on this but I'm having trouble linking it on my iPad. I'll put the links in a separate post (sorry been trying for the past 10 mins but it won't work!). In terms of natural foundations I've heard lots of people raving about the oasis bb cream and its high coverage too.
MissQT
1547 posts
Have a look at this and this and that :)
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
thank you!!
MissQT
1547 posts
you're welcome, hope it helps!
Macs
5351 posts
Good question to ask Ive been looking forever. 
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Do you use moisturizer, primer, foundation, and setting powder/spray? Because I find using all of these and letting each one set before applying the next has helped me make most foundations last all day. Then just keeping a concealer in my bag for touch ups.
Macs
5351 posts
To date Ive used Oasis, Revlon, Loreal, Elizabeth Arden, Maybelline and still haven't found a full. I want to try Mac, Rovie, Estee Lauder, Tarte, Kat Von D and Too Faced. 
I must get some samples for a try.
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
I do use moisturiser, primer and a setting powder - on days that I only have theory classes it lasts better, but on days that I'm doing facials or waxing, by lunchtime it needs reapplying lol.
I also want a heavier coverage since because I'm having so much practice done on my skin right now it's completely freaking out and needs a lot more covering up! haha.
Macs - I've been looking at the Kat von D and toofaced ones too, just not sure how to go about etting the shade right with them.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I asked this question and it was suggested that I get some samples... I got MAC (love), Stila (overall winner, holy grail, zomg) and Nars (meh) samples in epic sizes to try. I'm keen to try KVD and Too Faced too but the Stila was mindblowingly perfect for me.

I use Victoria's Secret Fresh Face Brightening gel creme under with a bit of Benefit Porefessional on my nose and Bye Bye undereye, (plus a swipe of Sephora Base Lissant if I'm off out) then the Stila, then powder and a spritz of spray (MAC or LA Girl) and my base doesn't move.

The Stila is the 'Stay All Day' which has concealer added
Macs
5351 posts
Katvon d and Too faced are heavily priced. There must be a way we can get a sample before committing to them. I don't like those computerised colour charts because you can't tell if its going to be that colour. Ive seen lots of girls trying to sell their wrong foundation colours online. I fear that outcome. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I guessed with my Too Faced foundation. I went off the colour swatches they had online. Picked the one closest too the colour I generally use. I got the perfect shade! The kat von d foundation is on my wishlist
trudijoy
8375 posts
i'm more worried about formula first and foremost - i've tried more expensive foundations that the formula of just don't work for me at all. Shade can be tweaked (although having it be perfect from the outset is preferable, obviously!)
chikoboo
3402 posts
Summertime makes most foundations wear down especially if you have oily skin.  Most weightless foundations are buildable you just need to make sure that the primer you are using is compatible with the foundation type.

"SILICONE/OIL based primer  water based foundation
 WATER based primer MAY be okay with SILICONE/OIL based foundation.
- See more at: http://www.filosophie.net/2015/08/primers-101-base-mixing-colour.html#sthash.CcRq4uI2.dpuf"    (sorry links just aren't working for me at the moment going to try another browser later when at home to see if that is the issue)

It is important as if the primer doesn't want to play nice with your foundation then it wont work and your foundation will gradually pile, or slip and go patchy as the day wears on, even with the use of setting powders and sprays.  

Personally I have no problem building up Rovie foundation for a more full coverage look, just need patience as you need it to settle between applications or you just move each layer together.  I do this with other lightweight foundations like my favourite Urban Decay weightless foundation.    If you have oily skin the best thing is Estee Lauder Double Wear, I tried it once with combination skin and it felt like I had a layer of skin like mask over my face, for me that was uncomfortable but I can see why so many with oily skin would love it as it is maximum full coverage.  

Getting samples is the perfect way to go at it, but knowing what foundation type works for you is essential.  Stay away from sheer gel, weightless, lightweight, water based types as these are designed to be light weight and will never be ultimate full coverage, even with a few layers.  Try more solid foundations such as MAC Pro longwear.  

EDIT: Totally forgot to add!  Elizabeth Arden Flawless Foundation doesn't get spoke about much over some of the more fashionable brands currently on the market but for my combination skin that can be both a little oily and dry, and yes the odd pimple (how lucky right!!lol) then this foundation does what EL Double Wear does but a lot more flexible and suited to my skin type so popping into your local Farmers and hitting up their counters to colour match and trial out some foundation samples is a really good idea.

Oh and when it comes to getting the right shade of foundation when buying online, once colour matched for a variety of foundations at counters such as MAC, Elizabeth Arden, Estee Lauder you will have a broad spectrum of what suits your skin,  loading all of them into a foundation match site like findation.com will narrow down what your shade will be in other brands, it is slowly updating to include more of the latest brands.
mallomiss
569 posts
I've been using Mac's Studio Fix over their Prep & Prime Primer with a setting powder & it's mind blowingly awesome!! 

Apart from touching up my eye make up during the day & of course Lippy. my face doesnt budge! 

Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Thanks for all the things to think about everyone! 
Chikoboo - I use the Rovie primer (I really am in love with my Rovie so it's not about me falling out of love with it lol) but I have to leave the house at just after 6.30 in the morning so I really need something that's going to be quick for me to apply and get the most coverage I can if you know what I mean? 

Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
If I've learnt anything it's that full coverage doesn't necessarily mean long lasting. For me, a light coverage foundation combined with concealing problem areas lasts the longest and looks the best at the end of the day. But that method is probably more time consuiming than what you're after. I think the best one I've come across, factoring in value for money, would be the Oily/Combo version of Revlon Colourstay. I hope you find something!
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Maybe I'll just have to change my alarm to 4.30 so I can get ready the way I want to in time!! (Why is there not a way for me to be able to do makeup on the way into town? There's a good hour and a half to 2 hours I could use!!! Lol)
MissQT
1547 posts
You make some great points Sarah which I never thought of. I also think revlon colour stay is a great long wearing foundation.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!