Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

34 posts, 10 members
Kimrose
1419 posts
Hey ladies, I'm sitting here wondering if you have started doing anything new or different because of lockdown? I have started playing online scrabble with my daughter and my neighbors have all downloaded the Houseparty app and we all "get together " on a friday night and have drinks.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I've lived in my house for 5 years 3 months and only ever gone for a few local walks. I go every day now - last week I went twice a day for a half hour lunch walk and one hour after work walk everyday. Today I went for a two hour walk. I've found all these things I had no idea were in my neighbourhood and I'm getting fit at the same time! 

ive also started online grocery shopping, which i have never done before. I'm immuno suppressed and high risk for the virus so I won't be going to any form of store until level 2 at the earliest
Kimrose
1419 posts
It has been nice going for walks on my days off. We are in an area where there is lots of new housing so it is very interesting seeing all the different designs of new homes. 
It is good you are taking care of yourself Trudi, your health just isn't worth the risk.
Husband is not ggoing back to work until probably level 2 as I work in pharmacy. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah I work full time from home anyway so I only leave the house to walk or once a week for a ten min drive to make sure my car still works.

its just not worth the risk. 

I did go to one local store once in search of flour and was stressed out the whole time.

ive been in iso since March 14 so I'll be two months in if this ends when they think it might at this stage
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I would have loved to walk more during lockdown.  We went twice, but it was like every single household was out there, and some people just ignore the social distancing rule and don't move over when passing others.  It made the experience unpleasant and we're on a busy main road (busy with both lots of people and cars), so I haven't been out much.  We've been gardening and doing yoga at home instead. 

I've definitely been messaging people more, just to check up on them; friends, family and elderly neighbours. 

Being in lockdown has forced me to try think of different ways to run my business (I can't reopen until Level 2 and even then it will only be to existing clients, not taking on any new ones until Level 1).  I've used the past two weeks to tidy up and 'streamline' my website so that it's easier to navigate (I'm still working on a few bugs I found), and added an online store, which was never really needed in the past but now it's almost a necessity for small businesses to survive.  

Unfortunately, I think there are a lot of small businesses that won't make it through this.  I've already heard of one local, well-established, well-frequented cafe having to close down permanently because of their lease/overheads and being closed during lockdown. Now they can't afford to reopen (for takeaway services) during Level 3.  It's so sad to hear. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
That's why I don't go to my local beach, Silvene, which is only a few minutes walk from my house. Every bubble and their dog are down there. It's bad enough walking down the street and no one every moves out of your way. I've just reported a group of teenagers hanging out at a bus stop to the police. They're lucky I don't know them as they would have got a good telling off lol. I still go for a walk every day though which is something that I wasn't doing before lockdown. I always feel like I need to have a purpose to go for a walk and I'm usually just way too tired after work normally. I also dance to music every day now and that's been the main thing that has kept me sane. Dance has always been a big thing in my life so its good to have it back.

It's really sad the amount of small business that will no longer be around and I really feel for everyone in that situation. My hairdressers sent out an email this morning saying they will be delivering hair products under level 3. So yes, lots of people having to change how they work. I think the world of work will change forever as it is now so obvious that many people can work from home.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I've found most people here are respectful enough on walks, with these exceptions:

- runners who run up behind you and expect you to move
- cyclist kids with bells who seem to think it's okay to ring a bell and make adults move aside 
- families/couples/ bubbles who take up heaps of space and refuse to go single file and allow you around them
- people with dogs in really long leads that let the dogs go wherever and get in the way
- the muppet who screamed at me to keep left when a) that's not a rule and b) I was already as far left as the path allowed to go around him

good thing is I usually only encounter a couple of these per walk 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Omg, the dogs on the long leads are the worst, especially at the beach! Maybe keep left guy is from Wellington as that's kinda an unwritten rule here lol. Especially on Lambton Quay at lunchtime. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Soozie I was actually on the left so.... lol.

There are places up here with that indicated by arrows and pics on the pavement, but that doesn't make it a thing everywhere.
Kimrose
1419 posts
People here are quite respectful of the rules when out walking. Most everyone says hello as well. 

Silvene, having a business is hard at ththe best of times, and now is not the best time. I hope you can see this through. It's great to see you looking into your website for sales as well. A good website is a pleasure to shop from
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thanks, KimRose.  

Fingers crossed that this online store (and all the unpaid hard work I've put in over the past few weeks) works out.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I live in a small town and people are quite respectful. I don't think I am doing anything new or different really. Just got my puppies last vaccinations so looking forward to taking him out on walks with me :-)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I've started a new habit - hot water bottles. 

I'm not sure why but I have to keep having them. I make anywhere between 7-10 hot water bottles a day. I don't know whether its a comfort thing, but it makes me feel all warm and comforted I guess?

Another thing is I have an obsession with cleaning.ha ha ha. I hate cleaning with a vengeance (obviously I do it lol) but just the last couple of weeks mainly I've become obsessed with making everything shiny. Its not because I'm bored either (working from home fulltime and homeschooling 3 kids takes up most of my time). Hubby thinks I've been taken over by aliens ha ha ha.

Other than that, not much else :-)
tabucutie
1811 posts
The only thing that's really changed for me during lockdown is cooking at home and baking more. I'd put the cooking down to the Hello Fresh I had a couple weeks ago. New flavors I really enjoyed. Makes me want to cook similar items myself. In terms of baking its once a week on my day off. Never really had the time before but since I cant go anywhere suddenly there is time for it.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Love those descriptions Trudi, have encountered most of them too. I'm positioned right where I can walk towards the city or towards the suburbs. I've noticed walks towards the suburbs as a general rule seem quieter and the people more respectful, the more urban areas seem nearly as busy as usual with foot traffic.
Good luck with your business Silvene, it's a challenging time.
Kimrose
1419 posts
Tabucutie, we got a hello fresh box for a week, We really loved it. Such lovely food and easy to make. You are right about the flavors, superb. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yay, glad it inspired you tabucutie!

ive been cooking up an absolute storm but I cook a lot anyway. Last night I made spaghetti and meatballs so tonight it's meatball salad with toasted herby ciabatta 
MareeB
5244 posts
I LOVE hot water bottles Mumof3. I even have 2 every night in summer. My friends think I'm mad, but ya know, its the South Island....
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I love hot water bottles too, reminds me of my nana <3  Definitely a comfort thing. I've been using my wheat bag a lot. My body has 2 temperatures.....either too hot or too cold lol it drives my partner bonkers
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
Wow I havent used a hot water bottle in over a decade ... I suddenly have a hankering for them now hehe
tabucutie
1811 posts
@Kimrose:it's great aye? I want to get another box but haven't found 3 meal options I like in a menu yet. I just keep checking when a new menu is released lol.

Sounds delicious trudi! I just made satay chicken on rice. It was decent but not as flavorful as I was wanting.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Tabucutie yeah that's my ongoing issue with them. I don't eat seafood and almost never eat red meat so it cuts it right down as I'm the same - will only order if I like the sound of three of the options. My other factor is I won't order if I have plenty of food already - I tend to use HF boxes as a kick start or a gap full; they're especially good for if I've gotten back off a trip and the fridge is bare 

I had kewpie for  dinner to go with the chilli sesame fries I made to go alongside a simple salad with miso ginger dressing and honey soy kebabs
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I've used My Food Bag for years but recently tried Hello Fresh. Each has its pluses and minuses so I go between the two depending on the menu. I like the look of Hello Fresh more next week so I'm going with that. It's the first menu of theirs I've fancied for a few weeks. Services like this are a god send at this time or if you're sick etc. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Ikr trudi! I would probably use it more if you could just 1 or 2 options and pay the delivery. 3 for 3 looks like a rare thing. Thjnk I've got one scheduled in a couple weeks so looking forward to that. Ps, your dinner sounds delicious.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Just had a look at My food bag site. Like the free delivery, seems to cost a bit more and options dont look as appealing. Think i'll stick with getting a hello fresh box every now and then. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I thought I would try out My Food Bag but when I went to checkout it says they don't deliver here, same with Hello Fresh.  I really need meat too, I have done an order from My Meat Box before and they were great.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Tabucutie did you get the app? There's heaps of the meals that you can just make up yourself if you're a bit creative :) 

I agree though, you should be able to buy one or two!

thanks - I LOVE cooking. I had tomato, eggplant and chicken sauce over spaghetti night, and have an apple crumble in the oven
tabucutie
1811 posts
Yup on my work tablet. I saw it had audio option to read the instructions which is pretty cool too.

A home made crumble sounds great. Still yet to make one myself.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Crumbles super simple! This one tonight is just stewed apple topped with flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon mixed together, then you rub in butter 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Brilliant, thanks for that! Bit slow on the uptake lol.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I think I learned in form 1 home tech? Dunno, I started cooking for the fam aged 12 or so so I have a decent repertoire of classics 
tabucutie
1811 posts
I remember doing it in food tech. But it was the first and last time I did it.
trudijoy
8375 posts
This was the basic recipe I used, I just added cinnamon and used part raw sugar, part brown. 

I made a sixth of the topping to about a cup of apple; which made two small portions (or one biiig one hehe) and just had it with canned cream bc I don't have ice cream atm 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Thanks for that Trudi. Will give it a go after my next shopping to get ingredients.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!