Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Korean Japanese beauty - new store in NZ

44 posts, 10 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
A new shop I was vaguely aware of (must have been to one in Aussie or something I think) has just opened at Sylvia Park and online

It's called Miniso and I got a BB cream there on Sunday for .$12.99 that i'm trying out today - and so far, so good!

Anyway I can't remember who was asking about such things (mumofthree?) but worth sharing, they have a whole health and beauty section.  I also got makeup pads that are just thin pieces of charcoal 'silk' that take up less room in the trash but work just as well as the padded ones. 

They have other things too!

NB: they also have a Hikoco at SP up the other end near Starbucks, this is at the Mount Wellington end near Pak & Save
KiwiLass
174 posts
ohhh I might have to check this out - am grieving the loss of my favourite Za BB and CCs, having finished the last of it recently.
MareeB
5244 posts
Me too Kiwilass - I love Za CC cream and Za eye liner - best products of their type!
MareeB
5244 posts
I hope I get the chance to go into Miniso sometime Trudi - I like the idea of buying Korean / Japanese products in NZ.
EliseMM
120 posts
I am sooo desperate for a Korean/Japanese beauty store to open up in Wellington! I know you can purchase online, but I really do need to test in store (or read some rave reviews on BR) before I invest in something new. I look forward to hearing how your purchases go, though!
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Yes!! Miniso is a Japanese based brand. They have their opening on the sunday 28th oct between 11-2pm.

Free gifts for first 100 purchasing customers on the day. Check out their facebook page =D
trudijoy
8375 posts
yep - it's open already but has the official opening day this weekend - i guess they wanted to be open for the crowds on Labour Weekend? It was completely packed so that makes sense :)
Imoshen
461 posts
Oh I LOVE this shop!  They are opening everywhere it seems.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Would looooove one of these in Wellington, especially as the Japan Shop has closed down. The ingredients on some of those toners don't look too bad.
trudijoy
8375 posts
was impressed with the BB on Day 1! I'm also trialling two shades of the new foundation I'm buying to replace my other when it runs out, so I'm kinda alternating atm but for lighter makeup days, so far the MiniSo BB isn't bad at allllll. I got it in 'natural' which is possibly a little pale for me but a drop of liquid bronzer fixed that.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh that's a good use for the liquid bronzer! Must remember that tip!
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah i don't mix it in to the foundation, i just use it as a top coat - one or two drops buffed on top of foundation makes it perfect - an extra drop if i'm more tanned.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i've now worn this BB cream a few times and I love it for lighter makeup days! I've also found a perfect foundation that i'll buy in the next couple of weeks for proper foundation days - that one's not Miniso though :)
Julieal
915 posts
There used to be an awesome Japanese shop in Queen St that closed down so this will be really good to check out. I will be up in Ak in December so will have to make a trio to SP -Thanks Trudie
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Yeah... the Miniso bb and cc creams looked very light... so i didn’t get it in the end... but only had a brief look... I shall go back sometime in the future =D. Lots of cute products there.
trudijoy
8375 posts
haha smileypisces i think they're western shades, not asian ones, but my hakujin face veers between vampire white and glowing with a tan so I got a natural one that i can warm up with bronzer if need be ;) It's a great shade for my 'most of the time' face :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
which Queen St place is that, Julie? I regularly pop in to Daiso, and the other underground one I can never remember the name of. There's an Ippondo in Atrium on Eliot and a 'Made in Nippon (I think) shop further up. There are also great Japanese stores at Sylvia Park, Manukau, Botany, Newmarket and ALbany, we're so spoiled these days <3
Imoshen
461 posts
Alas, the Botany one has closed and I don't think it is coming back when they finish the rennovations :(.
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh i didn't think about that Imoshen! There was one out the Postie Plus side and then another one out By Robert Harris on the New World Side - are they both closed now?
Imoshen
461 posts
The one by Postie Plus closed a while ago and moved next to Robert Harris but Botany is rennovating so many of the shops have relocated until they're finished but some have gone completely such as the Japanese shop.
trudijoy
8375 posts
nah the two were totally different chains. There are a few versions of a similar store in Auckland atm. Hopefully Botany gets one soon! Curious to see what the renovations look like, not only at Botany but also at Sylvia and Commercial Bay! I know we are getting Sephora, I would imagine it's going in at Commercial Bay but I HOPE it's going in at Sylvia!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Trudi how was the BB cream? Im looking at getting into korean bbs. Anyone tried erborian? Or any others that are awesome. I don't like a dewy finish at all, prefer matte for sure. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
actually pretty great for the price, Lisa.  But i'm completely obsessed with the too faced foundation and going for that every day as it's keeping my face perfectly balanced rn! 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
What sort of finish does the Too Faced foundation have? I'm after something light and nice in hot weather. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Silky matte ie not too drying but controls oil (oil free) and ‘photo finish’ light but not sheer, def evens your face out but isn’t heavy, clogging or overly foundation-y

its $57 in Mecca which isn’t atrocious - and I’ve used it daily for six weeks so far and it’s got months left, I reckon :) 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I just watched lots of you tube videos lol. I think I am sold. I know I was matched with snow so I think I will go with that. The price is great and it sounds like it would suit my skin. Thanks Trudi!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Ok just purchased it, let you know how it goes. Excited :-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
Eek let me know! Hope you love it like I dooooo x
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Will do! Mon and wed are public holidays here next week so I shall have to be patient lol. Hopefully it is waiting for me when I get back home next Thursday. I have a love/hate relationship with buying online :-)
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Ohhhhh it says it's with courier for delivery! I live rural so definitely wasn't expecting it today. Now I am stalking the letterbox lol.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Exciting! I may have accidentally bought things in Mecca again today lol
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
The colour is bang on! I love how lightweight it is so it's not cakey or mask like. The only thing I don't like is the smell lol it's quite horrendous for some reason and does not smell like peaches, more like rancid vodka bhahaha it's odd. But it wears well on me.
I have never set foot inside Mecca and would love too. What goodies did you buy?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh no that doesn’t sound right re the smell! I like the light peach scent:)

i bought my HG eyeliner pencil. Tried to use other ones for a month and can’t cope haha. 

Its the Urban Decay 24/7 waterlining pencil in Legend. Love the Perversion pencil too but they don’t sell it in NZ ugh
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hmmm yea perhaps I will email them regarding the smell. It really is offensive. Oh nice that sounds awesome. Nothing like a bit of retail therapy. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah it’s my birthday week so I went for lunch with mum and her partner, bit of a cbd wander, bought myself an eyeliner and roses etcetc. Gotta be done ;) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Also maybe ask if they can send you a sample so you can ascertain if it’s your one or all of them that you can’t deal with the scent of maybe?

i posted on the TF insta about not being able to use Better Than Sex mascara, and they asked me to email, and we went back and forth for days but they ended up sending me a full sized hangover spray (also amazing). So you could try them directly if Mecca can’t help.... but Mecca service is amazing so you’re probs ok there!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Omg yes it was me hun, eek so excited. And online too - think my dreams just came true lol.

I managed to score a couple of ZA CC creams from a mate as they discontinued it but so keen to try these after.

Thanks for sharing hun xx
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Dunno how I missed your reply Trudi. Happy Birthday week!!  Mines in April and I will be 37 eeeekk getting close to 40 lol. I hope you are had a fantastic week. 
I email Mecca but no reply as of yet.

Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Haha just as I typed that Mecca rang. Great service, am sending back to see if it has gone off and they will send a gift card or exchange it :-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
thanks, it's saturday!

Yeah Mecca are really great with their customer care, a lot of companies could learn from that.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Mecca’s customer service is the best!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Can’t waaaaaait to get my face did there on sat and collect my bday present and move to level 3.

now that I’ve stopped throwing up, that is. Was a bit worried there for a bit - food poisoning and makeup application is a bad mix 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Food poisoning is not a birthday gift you want, Trudi! I hope you’re feeling better now. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah nah it wasn’t fun. UberEats were good though, I messaged in-app to report that the meal had made me ill and I got a refund and a credit. Not puking now and managed a couple of popsicles, some crackers and toast today I’m the end, plus lots of coke to settle the nausea and I’m mostly ok, just salty about losing my holiday. 

Thanks x

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!