Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Japanese Cosmetics

30 posts, 6 members
thirtywinks
60 posts
Hi guys! I was wondering if anybody knows where they sell Japanese cosmetics in Auckland? I know they sell a little bit at Japan Mart though I've only ever been to the Sylvia Park branch. They have Hikoco which is really awesome but it's mostly Korean cosmetics. I have a few Japanese brands that I really love but aside from Japan Mart I can't seem to find them anywhere at all. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
There aren’t many options sadly, I’d kill for a good stockist of some things! The Japanese store at Botany has some good stuff from brands like CanMake, and there’s an ippondo in the CBD on Elliott Street. Albany mall has a Japanese beauty store as well.

What in particular are you coveting?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I'd love to be able to buy more Japanese goodies here too! While we are at it, I would love a Uni Qlo or Muji here! You can get a lot of Japanese drug store brands on EBay. Of course the prices are two or three times what they are in Japan but still affordable. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i've been to the UniQlo stores in Aussie and been disappointed :/ Need PROPER ones here if they do it!

there's a great wee Korean/Japanese face and body chain in Aussie called 'Bliss' or something, that would be excellent to get happening over here too!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
The Uni Qlo in Emporium in Melbourne was pretty good - it was over two floors. There's a Muji in Emporium too but it hadn't yet opened when I went. Mmmm, think I'll go and make a cup of tea and raid my Muji snack supplies. 
thirtywinks
60 posts
@trudi: Thanks for the tip! For Canmake, I like their mascara remover. Really handy and quick to remove my stubborn waterproof mascara. I'll definitely check them out.

@suzie: YES I second that! Uniqlo and Muji are two of my favorite brands. They've got lots of good quality products at a reasonable price. Got tons of uniqlo clothes that are in tip top shape still. For Muji I love their home stuff and pens!
Julieal
915 posts
Have you tried on line search ? I often find  what I want that way.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yes, the quality of Uni Qlo and Muji clothes is so much better than what you can buy here in the sameness price range. 
thirtywinks
60 posts
@Julie: Yep. I've tried to google specific products I'm looking but I don't see them anywhere. I just thought maybe someone in the beauty community might know of a physical shop somewhere. I'm quite fond of trying japanese brands of late and physical shops are always nice so I can test a product on my skin if it's a good shade. I find that I'm not very good at getting my right shade. haha

@Soozie: I got a winter hoody at Uniqlo for about ~20NZD and it's pretty warm and really good quality. They have quite good thermals as well which they are selling for about 20-30NZD (cheaper if on sale) and they have different kinds in terms of thickness/style. I used to shop in Singapore and they have a very good collection over there.

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh my gosh, Uni Qlo heat tech is life! I prefer it to merino and always buy some when I see a Uni Qlo even though it lasts for years. I managed to still find some in Japan a few weeks ago even though it is spring there. The singlets and leggings are only about $12nz there. I also got a ultra lite down jacket - it weighs nothing and scrunches up into a tiny pouch. I think that was about $70 although I had to buy a men's in large as I was a bit 'squashed' in the large women's one lol. 
thirtywinks
60 posts
@soozie: Great finds! I wish I could head over to Japan and shop where everything is surely a lot cheaper . I just recently bought a down jacket here and my wallet is crying. Haha. I'm also not a big fan of merino cause I get allergic reactions to it sometimes. I sort of hoped that they would be the one to replace Topshop, but Mecca is not so bad either. Haha

MareeB
5244 posts
I've never tried any Japanese products but I'd like to. Are they similar to Za?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Maree, I've only used the Za cleansing oil from their skincare range. I'm guessing they're probably similar as Za is designed for the Asian market. Za is also owned by Shiseido who are of course a Japanese company, but I've never seen Za for sale in Japan. There's lots of info online about Japanese skincare or drug store products if you google it. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
I find ZA to be a bit more Western.

The Japanese beauty products i love usually are just picked up at random and are a bit different - an eyeliner pen in purple rather than black, silver mascara, the most beautiful embossed cherry blossom blush etc. Japanese makeup tends to be about keeping skin soft, smooth and on the paler side, rosy cheeks, simple eye makeup designed to make eyes look bigger, and more subtle lip shades. THEN there's the other extreme - the goth-loli trends, harajuku, cosplay etc that needs more intense and brighter things.

This is part of why I love Japan, it's so multifaceted and crazy but amazing all at the same time.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
That's Japan summed up nicely in the last sentence, Trudi! Also scents are more subtle in Japan. I stopped wearing strong perfumes once I lived there as they just seemed too overpowering for myself and everyone else. 
thirtywinks
60 posts
@Trudi: Indeed! I love Japanese eyebrow products, specifically from KATE Tokyo. I swear by their gel pencil eyeliner, eyebrow pencil, and eyebrow color. I've repurchased more than 4 times now. I find that popping a nice eye look+lipstick combination is ideal for a more simple daily look for the office. Maybe because I like going all black to work as well.

@Soozie: That's interesting. I also struggle with perfumes as most famous brands are quite strong. Jo Malone seems to what everyone's wearing but my nose can't take it. Haha. I've only ever liked the Daisy line from Marc Jacobs, and I'm not fond of shopping for perfumes cause I can only smell a few at a time before getting a headache. Any particular Japanese perfume you can recommend? :)

Of which, I just remembered seeing the Shiseido Moisture Mist line at the mall and it's apparently formulated for NZ women. I've always looked through their products but never bought as I'm not sure if they're worth the money. I thought it's an interesting brand though.
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh KATE liquid eyeliner is awesome!!

Last time I was in Japan I was in Fukuoka and came back with CanMake, KATE, Anna Sui etc goodies, and an awesome purple Betty Boop themed eyeliner, among other things.
thirtywinks
60 posts
@trudi: 'Purple Betty Boop themed eyeliner' - I love this! Haha it sounds so fab.

That reminds me of this 'Anime Eyes' mascara released by Maybelline. It's not really Japanese but Japanese-related and I thought it was kinda funny but the product was surprisingly really good. My sister bought it from the US and now I don't know where to find it. When I went to Japan I only came back with tons of KATE and a mascara with Majolica Majorca. I love the mascara because it gives me really long and curled lashes that are not too thick. The only thing I don't like about it is that the product has a bit of hair to extend your lashes so the hair sometimes pokes my eye if I'm in a rush. Have to sit down and take my sweet time putting it on. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Thirtywinks, I didn't wear Japanese perfumes, just lighter perfumes. Haha Jo Malone would be a light perfume for me as they last less than an hour on me. My colleague told me about that Maybelline mascara. She bought it in India and said it was awesome but hasn't been able to find it here. 
thirtywinks
60 posts
@soozie: Less than an hour?? Wow. I dropped by the shop and thought the scents were a bit too strong for me and they seemed like they would last hours on you. And they're quite expensive too o.O
trudijoy
8375 posts
I FORGOT ABOUT MAJOLICA MAJORCA!!!! So good <3

Haha yeah the Betty Boop one was ah-mazing.

Anime...you don't mean the manga eyes mascara from L'Oreal?

trudijoy
8375 posts
I often buy perfume in Japan - the last time was because I was at Body Shop Depot (the body shop outlet in Rinku New Town, Osaka) and it was crazy cheap. Like a bottle of perfume for 500 yen cheap.  I also love the Harajuku perfumeries. 

btw....I found the Betty Boop eyeliners!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Thirtywinks, I tried on a Jo Malone rose perfume, then went to Lush and tried the Rose Jam body spray on my other wrist. They were both very similar in scent but the Lush one lasted way longer. Needless to say, I ended up buying the Lush one. It lasts all day and I always get told I smell nice when I wear it. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Trudi, what?!? There's perfumeries in Harajuku? Where? How have I missed these?!?
trudijoy
8375 posts
this is going back ten years since i was last in Harajuku, but on Takeshita-dori there was a perfume shop; i got a lovely perfume for super super cheap :)

I got a cherry blossom scent in Fukuoka i think - can't remember. That was my last trip to Japan - 2015. DEF time to go back.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh I know the places you mean. There used to be a few of those in Nagoya too. Yes, def time to go back! 
trudijoy
8375 posts
The Art CollectionMeiku-naoshi pen is another one I love,  Under $5, available in NZ and is basically a makeup remover stick to tidy your makeup with. 
thirtywinks
60 posts
@Trudi: OMG you're right!!! It was Loreal. Can't believe I got it wrong. That's why I couldn't find it. Thanks so much! You're amazing. Hahaha. I hope they still sell this. I loved this so much I kept using it after the written expiry (3 or 6 months I think).

Edit: They still have it at Farmers!
thirtywinks
60 posts
@Soozie: Thanks for the dupe tip! I didn't know they sold perfumes actually, I always thought they were a soap shop. The Lush shops are always pretty with all the splash of colors. I've only been inside once and felt that the mix of all the smells was too much for me so couldn't stay too long sadly.
jjgreen
6 posts
I don't know where to buy the Japanese makeup in my local place. I barely try the Japanese style, though I had applied twice. I googled the local stores yet I got clue to purchase that from online store.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!