Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Homemade Sugar Wax

9 posts, 9 members
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Has anyone else tried making homemade sugar wax, the type that is used without cotton strips?  

I tried yesterday and again this morning, using this recipe / technique and it didn't work.  Yesterday I happened to have my heat too high and it crystallised without the sugar melting and this morning everything went well, it looked right, changed colour and went dark and syrupy, etc. but when I poured it out and cooled it, it didn't solidify enough for me to form a ball to knead.  It just remained fluid and sticky, like a thick caramel sauce.  Maybe it didn't get hot enough or cook for long enough?  It did boil for a few minutes (8 - 10 mins) and I was worried I was going to burn it.  

After two failed attempts, I'm hesitant to try and third time.  I don't like using wax with cotton strips and was keen to try a 'reusable' sugar wax like the one in the above video.  Many years ago you could buy something like this in a tube but I haven't seen anything similar for ages.  

Any suggestions?
MissQT
1547 posts
I can't help much as I've never sugar waxed let alone made it, it's something I've been interested in though and would be keen to try it when I have the time. I have made caramel before though, so maybe boil it for longer to cook the super more and make it more toffee like? Maybe check some other YouTube videos.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I'd see if you can find a different recipe and see if there is any difference in your results. That might then give you an idea of what will and won't work.
Macs
5351 posts
I remember seeing this on BR once before. I just got a big bag of sugar tonight. Im going to try it when I find some time.I wanted to give this a shot but Ive always been a bit of a chicken when it comes to home waxing. Keep trying and let us know how it goes.
-Bex-
611 posts
Never thought to make it before, knowing my luck i would burn it (or the house down)
i did however manage to score the AIO sugar wax in the beauty vault once and still have it, use it and love it. i know when using that wax it has to be the perfect temperature for it to work which is luke warm at the most.
Rezee
1964 posts
I feel like I want to say that I did try and make some years ago? I'm not sure of how exactly it worked out but maybe not too great considering I'm not still making it? Maybe using a thermometer would be helpful in making it.
mallomiss
569 posts
I scored the AIO sugar wax too, I like it for certain areas but it's not overly effective on my face. 
I'm keen to have a go at making it too actually... Let us know how you get on if you try a different recipe! 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i flinch just reading about sugar wax.... baaaaaaad experience :/
Rajvee2588
221 posts
homemade sugar wax sound nice.....because i don't like stripes too..
when i go for eyebrow wax in salon they use that kind of wax...they just apply and take it of....that time i thought can i make it at home.

when you get successful attemp just lets as know plz. good luck

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!