Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Hoarding beauty products!

49 posts, 11 members
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
So I spent hours today going through all my beauty products, holy moley I had so much more stuff than I thought. I tipped all my unused shampoo into a body wash bottle to use for shaving my legs, threw away everything that needed to go and gave my family a few bits and pieces. My draws are organised with products now to use up then unopened products.

I feel like I have removed a lot of clutter and it feels great! This was long overdue. Sooooo are you a hoarder? Or do you use products before you buy new ones? Shampoo and conditioners were my worst by far.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i stockpiled and hoarded for ages and then had a very similar realisation, Lisa. I have been using and ruthlessly culling since, with the exception of the Hawaii shopping sprees. Now I'm back on 'use it all up' mode.

I also repurpose things; i have so much shower gel that i'm using it as hand soap atm as well, for example.
MareeB
5241 posts
Eeek feeling your pain Lisa! It's facial cleansers and shampoos that I need to throw out, because I have so many half bottles. But at the moment I can't bring myself to do it!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I'm definitely in the use it all up stage Trudi :-) omg Maree I seriously have been putting it off for so long, it feels like a weight lifted off my shoulders!
Kimrose
1416 posts
I did this a while ago, such a great feeling! I also arranged my skincare products in expiry date order.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Ohhhh that is a good idea Kim!
trudijoy
8375 posts
One thing I do that I totally recommend is that I bought a hanging jewellery organiser, little clear plastic pockets, and I put all the samples and little bits in there. It’s visible and really easy to do, but means i use up the little things now
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
If I remember right Trudi you put a pic on the photo wall of it? A great idea also.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yep Lisa. It’s months old now and still rocking along :)
MareeB
5241 posts
I'm just waiting on a current event to end and then I'm ditching my life into a mini skip and walking off into the sunset with just one suitcase. I hope to never be seen again!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hope all is OK Maree xx
tabucutie
1811 posts
I did a major overhaul of my cosmetics and products over a year and a half ago and all was going well. I got lippie organisers and eyshadows sorted. I have noticed though a couple of days ago that I had bought more than I needed as it was on sale. In saying that at least I don't need to buy any skincare for sometime. Could definitely use a new shampoo though
Macs
5351 posts
One draw full of eye shadow , One full of lipstick , One with contour kits ascara blush highlighters in it. I have one draw full of Lush . The another dedicated to skincare, One draw dedicated to hair care and one draw full of nail polish . I need to do a clean up . Some draw organisers would be cool . Alikat told me about Amazon that has them . I need some storage solutions. Once I get some I can do my clean out.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Feels good being organised aye tabucutie! Wow Macs sounds like you have a great stash lol.
MareeB
5241 posts
Oh it is thanks Lisa - that's sweet of you.I just feel like I want a much simpler and easier life, and I fancy that could happen somewhere warmer and quieter than here.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Completely agree @Lisa-Lou. That lush drawer sounds amazing!
Macs
5351 posts
I’m a big time hoarder Lisa. That’s why I do empties . I’m hoping to completely finish all my lush shower gels and body conditioners by the end of the year. . 
shazatron101
5112 posts
i am a hoarder :-( i have at least 5 opened shampoos and probably double that of conditioner - for someone who doesn't wash their hair an awful lot its a bit surprising!

i have 3 unopened (big) shower gels but to be fair, they're LUSH, and one didn't come out this year and it's probably my favorite. another only comes out at christmas, so i think it's okay lol. 

i'm slowly running out of body lotion but i'm still stuck on what to buy next so i haven't bought anything and am hoarding the almost empties, and one is peppermint and when it's cold i don't really feel like using that!

skin care i have a tonne of but it's all slowly running out, and makeup well lol i very rarely wear that now. so i guess i'm hoarding all of that too.

trudijoy
8375 posts
i think i have about three years of body lotion backed up lol.

what do you like for body lotion/butter, shaz? my all time fave is probs the Righteous Butter (Soap and Glory) <3
shazatron101
5112 posts
i wish i had that trouble lmao!
i'm currently going between using a massage bar from LUSH in the shower (i don't like it, this way i don't have to get cold and i get soft!), the Sleepy lotion also from LUSH but more so because it smells like playdough now!? And the 'new' palmolive ones in the pump bottle i hate! 

noteable favorites though, i did like the Soap and Glory one, it's so thick and lovely! smells good too. i didn't mind the Palmers cocoa butter one thats "for stretchmarks" Sure, Jan. i got a sample of it a few months ago and only just used it, made the girls smell nice lmfao. i had a VS one that i really liked too from MightyApe that man gifted me for Christmas.

i know what i like and where to get it, i just can never justify spending $10 on a bottle? even though i know i like it!? so stupid brain lol
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Macs, that sounds pretty organised already to me! I have bits and bobs in every room of the house! I think if I gathered it together in one place, I would be quite shocked. 

trudijoy
8375 posts
i'm not 100% sure when i mentally flicked from 'more than $5 = expensive' to '$25? that's reasonable' lol.

tbh most of my stash atm is VS etc picked up when i was away. Currently i'm panning the last of my Mailelani lotion from Samoa (Mango, Papaya and Coconut) and then I'm into a VS one. I've taken to my winter normal of moisturising morning AND evening so it'll go a bit quicker now maybe.

The Nivea lotions are lovely for a bit cheaper, and so is Dove Silk, the Skinfood body butter, and I'm a long time fan of the St Ives ones too!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Ugh, my iPad was going so slow that I had to post a part reply, then delete my Netflix downloads to make it work! So....I'm definitely doing a "use it up challenge" again this year as I have a big trip to save for (and a new iPad too, I suspect!) Maree, I hope you're going somewhere nice! Lol.

I loved Trudi's jewellery hanger for samples idea so much that I started one straight away when I saw it. However....so far I've managed only to add to it, lol. At least it keeps everything organised in the meantime.

Apart from Lush shower gels (which I plan on using up), my weakness is skincare. I do get through a fair bit by layering but I also like to mix and match what I'm using. This means it does take along time to get through it though as I'm not concentrating on using up one product at a time.  
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Shaz, I hate getting out of a warm shower to moisturise in a cold bathroom too so my all time favourite is Lush's King of Skin which, for those who don't know, is a solid body butter. It doesn't last long though so works out pretty expensive. I also love Ro's Argan body conditioner, which again, is not the cheapest option. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Also, I've recently come to realise that for me, the thrill is in acquiring something in the first place, more so than actually using it. Example: I raced in to Mecca to get the latest loop box and I'm happy with what's in it but I've put it in the cupboard without even swatching or opening anything in it. 

How I overcome this 'thrill of the chase' whilst using everything up, I'm not sure. Any ideas, anyone?
trudijoy
8375 posts
@soozie i've gotten into a good pattern with smaller things - open immediately and try it, then into the sample wall or travel kit it goes, unless it's something i need that week in which case i pan it there and then. The latest Mecca box I'm going to try the CLinique tonight, the lip oil is open and the facecare samples will be coming to Taupo with me.
MareeB
5241 posts
Oh soozie me too - I look at things I've rushed out to buy and think, "what did I want that for???".
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Haha, Maree, I do enjoy the things I get but I certainly don't need them all!

Trudi, I do put things in the sample wall but that's where they stay! I took some to Japan with me but then I bought more skincare over there. I started using that straight away so that it wasn't too full when I took it on the plane and leaked. I'll definitely be using the Clinique from the loop box, but as I'm off work this week, I'm not putting on any make up on. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
one thing i do when i REALLY need to pan as like a little incentive thing is that I 'pay' myself for the empties.

- one use samples 50 c
- deluxe samples/minis $1
- full size products $2

(for example, the prices tend to change).

I just keep track and when it hits $50 or $100 i've 'earned' a nice new product - I take that amount of money and spend it, usually on just one or two nice things. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Haha Trudi, I like the thinking behind that...pay yourself to use things so you can buy more things. That might not work at the moment as the plan is to only buy things when they need replacing i.e. I've used up all the cleansers, powders etc. 

However, I have taken inspiration from this post and just used up a couple of minis, instagrammed my loop box so that I can now use it, put away the samples I took to Japan and didn't use, along with the ones I acquired there. I somehow came home with more samples than I went with haha. Feeling accomplished!
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I'm a big hoarder for skincare, especially serums/treatments. I have about ten opened bottles of serums/treatments/oils siting in the skincare basket on my beauty/laptop table. Though to be fair the majority of them are from the Ordinary which you are supposed to layer. 

Then I have a little acrylic makeup organizer with sample sachets I need to use up in the drawer and then the deluxe samples on top in the lipstick holders, where I also keep the lip balm I'm using, mini mascara, eyecream and that concealer which was given to me but leaks like crazy. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I'm glad to see I am not the only hoarder! Well hopefully ex horder now lol. Some great advice in this thread!
Macs
5351 posts
Cough lol @worldofsoozie I forgot to add bathroom and car lol 
Wow @soozie, I could have written so much of what you said!  

Skincare is def my biggest issue and I am always jumping around using different products depending on how my skin is and how motivated I am to use different products.  I have WAY too much skincare stowed away.  

And moisturiser, because like some other ladies, I hate moisturising in a cold bathroom.  I get through my body oil quickly because I do it in the shower, but everything else is SLOOOOOOWWWWW!

Also I'm totally guilting of getting 98% of the pleasure from buying/accumulating.  Then I feel all 'oh damn, now I have MORE beauty products to get through.  Why did I need to get that too??'

Unless it's lipstick.  Then I carry it around gazing at it lovingly and writing sonnets dedicated to its beauty...
Julieal
915 posts
I have been using up and not buying for the last 6 months and am almost there -Very hard to resist good buys out there but now I feel I am not wasting so much- Maree old shampoos are good as body wash if that helps -
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Sarah we do sound very alike! I'm more likely to write a sonnet to an eyeshadow palette than a lipstick, although I have plenty of both. 

I love having lots of skincare to chose from and my skin has been at its best since mixing and matching it according to need as well as hot cloth cleansing. I just worry about getting through it all before it expires. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
the man bought himself a treat, and asked what i wanted. when i couldnt make up my mind he decided for me - more shampoo and conditioner (to be fair, its $19 a bottle and i wouldn't have bought it myself). to be more fair, i want it. i need to smell it! so theres more for my hoard hahahahahaha

i also have a hoarding problem when it comes to tea. bagged, loose leaf, however it comes i want it. so guess what else i'm getting? lmfao
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Shaz, the whole top shelf of my pantry is tea! I'd like to say it is all contained there but it is on all the other shelves of the pantry and on the kitchen bench too lol. What can I say, I love tea! 

Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
You ladies crack me up! I do love my tea also :-)
tannygirl
3392 posts
     I  organized my makeup earlier this year and invested in some drawer organizers from the cheap $2 store. Made a big difference as most of my makeup fit in my top dresser drawer and then one side drawer. And then I have one big middle drawer full of brushes. I seriously remember getting stressed about how I was going to fit all my brushes in the drawer#firstworldproblems. And that's when I realized my brush collecting was out of control. 

If I buy more makeup I have to think about where I'm going to put it since my top drawer is already full and the side drawer is pretty full and the brush books are mostly full too. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
@trudijoy I love your idea and I imagine it works wonderfully. Use up stuff, save and then go on a treat haul brilliant.

I too am guilty of instant gratification. I love getting parcels in the mail. In saying that I am always equally excited to try and use up my products so I can review them and get points to go vault shopping. Such a great system and one I do benefit from greatly.
trudijoy
8375 posts
this inspired me and i panned two products, opened two minis, and threw out two that were past their best in the last 24 hours!
shazatron101
5112 posts
my new hoard members arrived this morning... I'M IN LOVE. smells like my HG pumpkin shampoo that i've been dying for since... like 10 years ago. WEEEEE happy, a lot of love today in the forum!

also got a tin of loose leaf tea, named Confetti Cake... smells v pineappley and not very vanilla but it tastes a wee bit like vanilla. not a cake in a cup like they say on the tin but it's still pretty delicious!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Who makes that tea, Shaz? Could is possibly be a tea company I haven't heard of yet? Lol. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I hoard heaps of beauty products but most of the new stuff getting stored away in boxes unless I've run out of something and it's replacing that then it goes in the cupboard, drawer or skincare basket. I used to have heaps of stuff and buy more without checking what I have. When I moved houses I had to box up everything and realized how much I have so I started keeping a list of what's in which box, how many and when it's due to expire (if I care about the expiry date, some stuff like bodywash I'm not stringent about the expiry date).

I think the thing I have the most of that opened at the moment is Scentsy bars I have a bunch in my drawer in varying stages of empty. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
This post has really motivated me and I think I have managed to use something up or use a single use sample every day so far this week. Woohoo! All I've accurated so this week are the freebies that came with my Mecca gift card. Ahem. 
MareeB
5241 posts
I'll keep buying BBBEs and hoarding the products. It's an addiction.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Shaz that shampoo sounds awesome, what brand is it? Soozie that is great! I'm doing well too, except I got more perfumes, but minis so its OK :-)
shazatron101
5112 posts
tis OGX lisa :-)

went from having 1 body lotion to 4... whooooops

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!