Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Hand bag must have items

84 posts, 66 members
So what is everyone's must have items for in there hand bags?
What make up do u have in there do u keep multiple lipsticks and do you buy back up so you can keep favourite products in your bag and at home so you are never without?
i look forward to getting some good tips and ideas my handbag is in desperate need of a clear out! 
RachLouise
218 posts
I keep multiple lipsticks hidden in my handbag (lipstick hoarder), a compact mirror, powder, q tips, lip balm and concealer. I'm bad for stashing numerous Lippys in my bag haha
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I have been using a clutch instead of a handbag for the last few months so my essentials are pretty basic: lipbalm, lipstick, hand cream, card holder, mirror, mints aaaand that's about it! xx
colleencanary
764 posts
Handcream, my lipstick of the day, tissues, lipbalm and pressed powder. Cant take this face anywhere without it getting oily!
100_percent_ash
488 posts
I'm a little bit of a girl scout so if you had have asked me a few years back I'd have a list as long as my arm of pretty much everything anyone could need for unexpected beauty, first aid or snack events.   

These days I don't even use a handbag, I have a very stylish nappy bag instead. Squeezed into a crevice amongst a tonne of things I need for my daughter are:  

first aid kit - told you I was a scout at heart
lip balm
tinted lip balm
can of body spray (in case of accidental leaving of house sans deoderant)
sunscreen
panty liners (would be tampons if I wasn't pregnant)
snacks
water bottle
hand sanitiser
hand cream
Bird
231 posts
My handbag is like the Tardus on Dr Who. Half the time I can't find anything lol (but I know its there somewhere), but it looks alot smaller than it is! If I switch to a smaller bag I can't fit all my essentials in. So annoying!
Handcream, lipbalms - a tinted and non tinted, notebook, pen, wallet, gloves & sometimes earmuffs in winter, tampons, liners, hankee, tissues, cotton buds, nail file + clippers, water bottle, phone, pocket knife, some kind of snack(muesli bar usually), painkillers, deoderant, hand sanitizer. I like to be prepared lol, also I'll throw in more depending what I'm doing. I figure whats the point in taking a bag everywhere I go if I don't have everything in it xD. Also why I wear my keys on a laynard around my neck, or I'll never find them!

Oh and yes I buy backups, most of that lives permanently in the bag :) saves forgetting anything.
Bird
231 posts
Lol ash, very similar! I was in scouts back in the day, might explain it haha!
NicoleSummer
12 posts
My makeup is all in a little makeup bag as I don't want it getting ruined or end up having those make up stains in the bottom of my bag! For my medication I have that in a separate wee bag. My keys always go in the zip compartment of my bag. My phones too big for the ph holder bit so that's used for Bobby pins and hair tyes. My perfume is in a waterproof bag and my wallet and phone just do their own thing lol oh and there's always a nail file floating about in there. :)
nelliebelle
113 posts
My essentials include lib balm, pressed powder, lip stick, hand sanitiser, wallet, phone and a comb :)
pintsize
1072 posts
Heehee Bird, finally I have found someone who shares my madness of hauling half the house around with them :)
My late sister inlaw used to love winding me up about my bag... weighs a fair bit but anytime I need something (albeit random at times) it was there and if it wasn't it soon would be :)
Also once you have kids you end up with their stuff in your bag to cart around too (hair clips, ties, wipes etc)
I can actually remember years back when I didn't even own a handbag... now I can't image life with out them.
Oh and I wish I could use the Scouts as an excuse but nope lol

Some things I own two of but otherwise the main items will live in my handbag anyway and I just go to it anytime I need to

xx
Chaotic82
522 posts
I weighed my bag at the supermarket the other day and it was 6 kg!
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Chaotic82 :O Omg! What do you have in there? :O (I must be getting old - my first thought was 'her poor back!' haha.

I have wayyyyy too much unnessary stuff in my bag but the things I MUST have are:
Phone
Wallet
Ipad (simply for my books on there), or a book (I cannot go somewhere without a book)
Planner
Lip balm
Painkillers (I never know when my back is going to start hurting)
Glasses
Sunglasses
At least one lipstick
Hair ties
Sanitary Pads (they make excellent gauze if someone injures themselves)
Tissues
Change
Perfume/body spray

Nothing majorly exciting for me I am afraid haha. I usually have at least 2 lipsticks rolling around though, as well as other misc. stuff.
brushandbullet
395 posts
My tip would be to use bags within bags! I have a medium sized satchel and a smaller purse which has four compartments. A lot of things like lipbalms etc I have doubles of, and just have them either in a small makeup bag in my satchel or one of the compartments in the smaller bag.

Just had a look at my "kit":
Wipes (I had some individually wrapped ones)
bandaids
blister thingie
lip gloss
lip balm
tampon
meds and hair ties in a mint tin
sunscreen powder
mascara (gift with purchase sized)
eyeliner pencil (gift with purchase sized)
spare contact lens case
saline solution (very small sized)
lighter
eyedrops
pen (tiny one from iherb!)
I did have tiny individually wrapped cotton buds but I used them up. You can get them from the Japanese $3 shop in Auckland, and probably pharmacies.

And then there's keys, wallet, phone, paper diary. If I'm feeling dangerous, I'll just carry the first three with me and not bother with a bag.
Chaotic82
522 posts
The bag itself weighs a little because it has a big metal monogram (KVZ, LOVE this bag!!)

Inside is
My phone
Make up bag
A bunch of coins for the kids pocket money that I hide in there (I think there's more than $20 in coins, there's the weight LOL)
A Book
Tissues
Tampons
Diary
Pen
Panadol
Keys
Glasses case
Card Wallet
A bunch of lipsticks
Muesli bars for whingey kids

And that day I think I had a ridiculous amount of hero cards, a nappy (CLEAN) and wipes too.

I do get a sore back, some days I carry a "nappy bag" as well (which even though it is a designer bag, thanks to my little sister, I refuse to just carry it as I LOVE my handbag...did I mention that? haha)
chikoboo
3402 posts
My hubby calls my bag mary poppins as it has everything in it.  This is what I just dumped out of it...

handful of lip balms, lipsticks
couple packets of tissues
wet wipes
compact mirror
paracetamol
bandages
diary (old school but Im a nerd)
phone
phone charger
eyephones
handful of pens
umbrella
deodarant
2 perfumes
2 badger balms
stress ease inhaler
doggy doo bags
handful dog treats (gawd im messy!)
dog ball
small manicure kit
mist toner
sanitary towels
purse
random pieces of paper with ideas on them

SandyGedge
394 posts
Am really enjoying reading this thread and seeing how similar some of our handbags are hehe.

Lip balm
lip stick
BB Cream
bobby pins/hair ties
Wallett
phone/charger/earphones
tampons/panty liners
'To do' list for that particular day & pen
Work/house keys
chewing gum
umbrella at the moment
perfume & deodorant
panadol
hand sanitiser
what ever the kids chuck in there lol

oh and I actually keep certain notes/letters my kiddies have written over time as I like them to stay close to me.

I generally find it quite difficult to find anything as the shape of my bag is strange and it doesn't have different compartments in it but I can't bring myself to let it go as I love it.....no matter how much it drives me crazy lol
mkltsullivan
85 posts
It all really depends on where I'm going, how long I am going for and what handbag I have

If I am going to be out all day I'll generally have a bigger bag and will take

-My wallet
-iPhone
-Portable iPhone charger(I charge the thing up and take it with me, if my phone needs charging I just plug my phone in and carry it in my bag as usual)
-Blistex Lip Conditioner
-Tissues
-Powder
-Mirror compact
-Whatever lipstick and/or lipgloss Im wearing that day
-Eyeliner
-Panadol
-Roll on deodorant
-Perfume

If I am going somewhere like a wedding I'll generally take enough make up with my to completely re do my face if you know, someone holds me down and scrubs my face raw lol
It is good to see im not the only one that seems to have a little of everything in my bag. I like big bags and with having kids I always end up with bits in my bag for them. 
I usually have the normal phone keys wallet lip balm tampons/pads my planner reading and sun glasses I'm in the process of making a small make up bag that I can keep in my bag so I can touch up if needed.
Kellie
570 posts
If I'm ever in an apocolyptic or emergency situation I want to be hanging out with some of you!  My bag pretty much can be guaranteed to have in it: Wallet.Keys.Phone.Lots of little receipts from vege shop. Sometimes a nappy will sneak in there or a toy car or sparkly hair clip.  But yeah, that's it.  Funny really, since 99% of the time it's being carried around in oversized totes :)
forkat2008
98 posts
The usual items are:
wallet
phone
chapstick
keys
pen
notebook or receipts to write things on
hair ties
deoderant
baseball cap
hankerchief
bandaids
painkillers

And sometimes I also have:
snacks
mints or gum
water
a book
umbrellant
extra hoodie
assorted make up
sunscreen
lenarose
313 posts
I have a lot in my bag - I posted a picture on my blog a little while ago and a couple of people were pretty shocked!

I have the usual keys, wallet, cellphone, glasses. Then I have my ipod, headphones, a pen, tictacs, medication, tissues, about 5 lipsticks, lip balm, hand cream, face moisturiser, hand sanitiser, spare battery for my phone, a million receipts, work access card, my knitting project - as the girls from the meet up will have seen!
kirstysays
762 posts
I usually have these in my handbag...
Purse
Mints/Gum
Keys
Lipbalm
Cellphone
Water bottle
Pain killers
Tissues
Lipstick
Earbuds
Hand Sanitiser
Mini Mirror
Spare Hair ties
Pen
Notebook
Glasses
Sunglasses
Handcream
Bandaids
Destress Spray   
niv-nailkeeper
97 posts
Like my husband calls it Treasure Hunt. haha :D 
I have following items:

- Wallet:
       - containing cards,
       - notes,
       - coins,
       - receipts (really have to check it on a regular basis to clear the receipts, this makes my                wallet look big)

- A small cosmetic pouch:
        - 2 x Mac Lipsticks
        - Lucas papaw,
        - band aid,
        - hand sanitiser,
        - Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream,
        - medicines, miniature perfume,
        - hair pins, hair band,
        - comb,
        - Mac mineralise powder,
        - use & throw nail filers,
        - Lancom miniature mascara and
        - I always have Body Shop samples

- Wipes 
- A small umbrella
- Mints
- Nut bars (I am not a morning person and most of the time I don't get to have bfast, so I carry nut bars in my bag to have at work)
- House keys
- Work swipe card
- Pen
- Phone

I try to be well organised as I change my handbags from a big bag during weekdays for work and small handy one on weekends. 
Wow your bag has the perfect list of products. 
Manda129
419 posts
As the saying goes I have everything but the kitchen sink in my handbag lol and my handbag is still not big enough :D

Keys 
Wallet
Cosmetics Case
Cell Phone/charger
Perfume
Nail Polishes 
Copious amounts of bobby pins floating in there somewhere too 
Tissues
Hair ties 
Panadol
Diary
Pen
Little case with manicure tools and tweezers
Umbrella
Deoderant
Pawpaw ointment
Gum and Mints
Moisturiser and Sunscreen

Oh and lots of receipts that need to be cleaned out 

nemesisroxx
506 posts
cool question! Mine has
Diary - so I dont forget all the crap I have to do
Tablet
Back up battery Charger
Gum
5 or so lip balms
Wallet
Card carrier thingee
Hand sanitizer
Kawakawa ointment
Earphones
Lip gloss
Parfume roll on
Case which has the following in it
-Multi purpost brush
-Pressed powder compact
-4 pk tampons-Panty Liner
-Mini Pen-Bobby Pins
-Hair Tie
-Saftey Pin
-Compact Mirror
-Mini Torch
-Badger Balm 

I recently downsized my bag and got rid of aaaalot of unecessary crap lol
I'm thinking a small clutch might be a good idea big enough for cards/money phone keys and a lipstick or balm that can be put in my big bag but if I have to pop into a shop or something I can just take the clutch in with me but still have everything else in my big bag that I can leave in the car. Does anyone else do this? 
brushandbullet
395 posts
Kylie, yes I used to do that when I had a bigger bag!

Country Road, Forever New, Glassons etc all do cute little bags you can use like this. In the past I've used one of those gift with purchase makeup bags that was really cute (and wasn't plastered all over with the logo of the brand).
Bird
231 posts
Lol too funny pintsize! but also true hehe. The girls have given me slack for carrying some bits around everywhere but whos the Nana who has water & panadol when they need it? huh? huh? lmao!!
I noticed this morning when I actually looked in my bag I forgot a few things in my list, so theres more haha.
I also have a hoard of stuff hidden nicely in my car, thats another story hehe. Spare chargers & umbrellas live in there though :)
cool thanks for the tip I must have a look when I'm in town next :) 
Jasmine_Anne
25 posts
After reading some of these comments my handbag doesn't seem as cluttered! - My phone 
- My wallet - what ever cosmetics I may need for touch ups- keys (okay that is the biggest thing in my handbag seeing as it has 8 key rings; including pen, and torchlight. 12 keys :), - my medication; Inhalers and handcream and detol. - Also a mini note book for my writing on the go Yes it is still a little cluttered this is just my overall list, and usually I only put what I need for the day.  I think there are some cute little ideas in here such as putting a clutch in the handbag. I will definatly be adding that into my bag!!  Such a great disscusion topic!!
pintsize
1072 posts
Ok so after reading and seeing the idea of weighing your handbag I thought why not (just out of curiosity) and I am actually quite shocked!! (hubby laughed because he wasn't).
To a point where I am tipping out the contents right now and only putting bare minimum back in... or getting a smaller bag to stop me from overloading it.

My husband who just phoned me from work and took a stab in the dark and was actually pretty close despite being fascitious about it and said I would need a sports bag next pfft what ever! lol

Drumroll please.... an embarrassing 4.2kg of extra unnessesary weight lugged around with me every where! (now that was weighed on my bathroom scale which for the most part are accurate to the nearest kg).

So in that Mass I have everything (possibly even a kitchen sink haha)
Diary
Entertainment Book (that is heavy enough on its own)
Packet of Skittles (share bag)
Travel pack of facial wipes
Kiddie Pamol
Makeup brushes
My daughters top to be returned to store (tag on)
various letters and pieces of paper (lists), business cards, loyalty cards, card holder
Wet wipes
Hair ties, clips, 
Cell phone (although that usually lives in my hand or back pocket)
Keys (forever loosing them)
Vouchers, flash drives (I found 3), coins, earrings (haven't worn earrings in years hmm), belly bar (again years?) necklaces that are either broken or missing pieces, travel craft knife (for opening boxes), safety pins, lighter (I don't even smoke) hand cream, bracelet, pen (actually several), dental floss, nail polish (wondered where that got to) sunscreen mini, lip balm (x3), nail file, face wash mini (why?).
Chocolate bar, lollipops, bread ties (why?), Highlighters (again why?)
tissues, tampons, liner, bonjela, kids snack bars, matchbox car, sunglasses and cleaning wipe (hmm wonder where the case is)
Make up... here is where some weight is:
2x BB creams, primer, serum, 5x eye shadows, 5 eyeliners of differing types, two brow pencils, 2 foundations... cream and pressed, powder 6x lipsticks and a pencil sharpener, concealer, hand cream, 2x mascaras.
two tubes of paintbox... unopened and been in the two full weeks :/
eyelash glue (why?)
perfume mini x2 (one actually not so mini 20ml)

Hangs head in shame, and slides off to empty contents into a box.

All that and no old receipts at least :)

xx

Note: edited to read Diary not dairy although having a dairy in there would explain the bread tie and possible a few other items haha

wow what a collection you have in there! Makes the contents of my bag seem pitiful. Good news about not having any receipts tho lol I'm clearing out mine now there are heaps! 
brushandbullet
395 posts
Bahahaha Ange I loved your comments in brackets
I am in the midst of moving so my purse currently has everything in it that I wouldn't be bothered packing this includes a candle :O haha 

Usually however I just have:
Tampons
Tissues
Hand cream
Phone
Eftpos card 
Lipsticks note PLURAL haha
Lip balm 

And I think that's it :)
pintsize
1072 posts
Heehee 2nd weigh in... just on 3 kgs (feels so much lighter too haha) still have the new Entertainment book in there but that sometimes lives in the glovebox (then I kick myself for not having it with me when I need it). I so need the digital version on my phone instead but stupid phone doesn't want me to have apps (no instagram for me either wah!) lol
Oh and I forgot the deodorant and mini torch were in the other pocket ;) and while I was sorting my bag out my littlest one was shoving more toys are collectors cards in there lol so helpful :)

xx

PS. Bird, don't even get started on the state of the car lol and you are right if you have everything at your disposal you are never caught short... better to have and not need, than to need and not have ;)
MrsLissy
301 posts
I have a big list of must haves in my handbag

Wallet
Sunnies
Mini First Aid kit (essential having a 2yo)
Tissues
Swipe card for work
Pens
Matchbox cars (essential distractions for 2yo)
Keys
Powder compact
Whatever lip product I'm wearing that day
Baby wipes

I actually could not live without all of this junk in my bag. Sad but true.
kayxcake
422 posts
I carry a medium size handbag and by the end of each week when I clean out my bag, there's always 10 + lip products hanging around. No wonder why I panick all the time cause I thought I lost my fav lipstick.

My hand bag must have: makeup bag (lipsticks, lip balms, lip gloss, oil blotting paper, mac blot powder, powder brush), a pink hair comb, a mirror, a wallet, phone. 
angehill
93 posts
This thread has truly made me LOL! I've recently downgraded the size of my handbag because I had so much crap in it that carrying it caused me to get sciatica! Ok so in the smaller bag I have : 

- Wallet (containing a little bit of cash, multiple eftpos/credit cards, loyalty cards, receipts, vouchers and a broken sea shell - kids?)
- Keys
- Sunglasses
- Mints
- Lollipop wrapper and stick (again... kids)
- A necklace
- Medication
- 10 (!!) Lipsticks/stains/glosses
- Lipbalm (chapstick)
- A beer bottle lid (husband)
- Tampons and liners
- Hair ties
- Cellphone
- Earrings
- More receipts
- Small rock (kids again)

I'm thinking that all I really need is my wallet, phone, keys, sunglasses, medication, 1 lipstick, lipbalm and liners.... might be time for another clear out!  
tannygirl
3392 posts
My bag is packed accordingly depending on how long I'm going to be gone and what I think I might need. I don't always have a handbag sometimes it's just what I have in my pockets so the list is what I have on me when I do the weekly shopping:

- wallet
- spf chapstick
- sunscreen
- hand cream
- hankerchief
- phone
- calculator
- pen
- shopping list
- keys
- sanitary pad (if it might be needed that day)

I usually manage to fit all of this in my jacket pockets and the top pocket in my trolley bag.
melly650
375 posts
My only beauty must-haves in my bag is my lippy of the day, chapstick and eyeliner!
Bird
231 posts
pintsize omg that is legendary hahaha!!! I do have a smaller bag which I love but the handles are too small to carry over my shoulder. Beleive it or not I dont have receipts either, I try to keep my bag organized, it has 3 main compartments, 1 with quick grab items (wallet hand sanitizer etc), the middle is zip up with all the misc in it, and the 3rd is usually clear for chucking in stuff while I'm out.
No kids or blokes allowed haha!!! when we go certain places my girl takes her own little bag :) And the man can keep his stupid jailer keys in his own pockets!!! they are so heavy!!!
areyoualexis
17 posts
Phone, wallet, hand sanitizer, hand moisturizer, Baby Lips, lipstick of the day, oil blotting sheets and gum. I'm forever paranoid of having bad breath and not having any gum to deal with it!
jodieb06
26 posts
I try to be fairly minimalistic these days and have totally readjusted what I would consider 'must haves'.  These include paw paw ointment, compact mirror, deoderant, wallet and wide tooth comb.
#1 Paw Paw cream is a must have great for under lipstick & if you are ever caught without (gives your lips a little shine)

#2 Hand sanitiser

#3 Lipstick of the day (whatever i have applied that morning) and a base nude lippy that i keep for emergencys (i have two identical handbag & home make up kit)

#4 Handcream & cutical oil perefct for when you have any downtime to keep your skin healthy nail beds looking fab!

#5 Emergency Mascara - for some reason if i am going to forget to apply anything its that! Also great for days where you stay out or have a last minute catch up and are caught without make up  (Mascara & Lippy make the most difference!)

-A x
Seza95
175 posts
In my handbag I always have:

Water bottle
Mini umbrella
Eclipse Chewy Mints
My keys
A lipstick (Currently: Maybelline ColorSensational in Nude Glow)
A lip alm (Currently: Blistex Raspberry Lemonde)
A muesli bar
A pen
Feminine Stuff
Hand Sanatiser
Panadol/Pain Killers
Spray Deoderant (Currently: Nivea Stress Protect)
A few bobby pins and hair ties.
Wallet
iPod and headphones
Cellphone.

Occasionally I also keep a foldable fabric bag in one of my pockets in case I need extra space. (Especially for holding my normal clothes when I am at work. :) xo
I don't usually carry any beauty products in my bag other than a lip balm or the lipstick I'm wearing that day. I'm ashamed. But my absolute must haves are: Hand sanitiserPensLip balmA small notebookMy diary/agendaWallet and keys of courseHeadphones  
michelleburne
229 posts
Omg I was just thinking about doing this on instagram the other day lol

my bag contains
giant purse/wallet cobo
water bottle
stress ease inhaler
lime crime velvetine
pretty zombie velvetines x2
6 lipsticks
4 lip balms
eyebrow tweezers
concealer
coverstick
pens
phone
lists
cheque book, yes I still use it occassionally lol
5 perfumes 
panadeine
anti nausea tabs
gastrosoothe
severedol
valium
chewing gum
bills
car keys
I would cram more in but I have a heap of makeup and hair stuff at the studio as well lol
michelleburne
229 posts
ooh forgot chocolate!!! Always a bar of something in my bag
jaybeejack
116 posts
My husband and friends used to hassle me about how much I carry around with me... until they need something random and voila, I have it! Most of the time it is a pen or paper though.

I carry all my health/beauty items in a small toiletry bag within my handbag so I can take the whole thing out and I dont have to fumble around the bottom trying to find my gloss or a hairtie - its all in one place.

I could probably give MacGuyver a run for his money with this list!

**Beauty/Health:
Lipgloss
Lipstick
Blotting paper
Panty liners/tammies
Dental floss (THE most annoying thing not to have when you get something stuck in your tooth!)
Eyeliner
Tissues
Hairpins
Hairtie (no longer required though as it was recently all cut off!)
?Painkillers
Nail file

**Boring things:
Phone
Wallet/cards
Pen
Glasses
Asthma Inhaler
Note paper
Keys

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!