Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Hair Straighteners

53 posts, 38 members
Hollie
320 posts
Hi lovelies, my birthday is coming up and my partner keeps asking what I want. Since a tropical island hoilday at a pampering resort is apparently off the cards (lol in my dreams...but one can dream), I thought I'd ask for a hair straightener. I've been wanting one for years, to occasionally tame my wavy frizz when I have time (which really will be occasionally, but so worth it, as it makes a big difference to my hair), but I'm not sure which brand is the best these days? I've done a Google search and searched on hair, and keep reading that the Steampod (?) is good? But not sure. A few others crop up. Would be good to hear peoples' actual experiences.

In your views, which hair straighteners do the least damage to your hair? Which are the best brands, kindest and easiest to use? I'm a newbie, having never straightened my hair myself.

Thanks in advance :)
Mila
1209 posts
I'm not to sure on which ones are best for your hair health wise but I am an avid GHD fan !.

I got my first GHD 10 years ago and have never looked back.  They are expensive but in my opinion well worth it, they straighten my hair like no other !.

Always use a heat protectant first.  I would definately say go GHD's .

Mrs_rain85
437 posts
I personally think they all damage your hair the same amount and none are good for our hair, but In saying that I still use them haha , I use the Instyler, It seem's to be pretty good at taming frizz.
Qweenkaren
313 posts
I would also recomend one with a variety of heat settings as depending on the thickness of your hair or how much you are putting in it - this way if you have thick hair, you will need a higher setting, and if you have thinner hair then dont put it up too high - or you will get more damage.
GHD is a great brand, I have an In-Styer & this works really well for my thick hair.
A hair protector is the best step though, it also helps to hold the look.
Hollie
320 posts
Thanks everyone, these are good ideas. I do have fine hair so I think the adjustable temp seems to be a good idea. These Cloud 9 straighteners look good, but jeepers, not cheap huh! I can't find any other brands with adjustable temperature yet.......?
gemma1992
8 posts
Cloud Nine is the best straightner I have! I have 2 GHDS and a Clour Nine and I use it everytime I want to straighten/curl my hair. It leaves such a nice smooth finish on your hair because of the plates and it has an adjusting temperature. It is a heafty price but I've had mine for 4 years and I've has no problems with it. As long as you look after it, you will have it for years :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
I LOVED my G5's but they got stolen and are no longer made :(  The insurance payout included a set of GHD's which are okay but are pretty much my travel straighteners now as my hair is very fine and quite dry and i find they don't close tight enough on it.

I bought a set of the Jose Eber ones that they have in the malls here (Auckland) in the wee kiosks, and they are freaking amazing.  They were $250 a couple of years ago, and still going strong.  They lock in moisture and are the best I've ever used - I love them.  The curling wand from the same range is good too.  I got bright blue ones!
Macs
5351 posts
Ive got a remmington straightner. Its on its way out soon. Ive always dreamed of having a Ghd or in styler. Cost alot of money.
cushlaH5
178 posts
i LOVE my GHD eclipse. makes my hair so soft and shiny. i use tresseme heat protectant spray as well and after a year have had barely any damage
niv-nailkeeper
97 posts
I have GHD limited edition Scarlet Collection gift set which includes 
- The GHD pair of hair straighteners with red ceramic heat plates.
- A red heat resistant clutch bag.
- Red case for storage.
- Travel hair dryer.
- Two sectioning clips.
- A plate guard, which is useful when cooling down.
- GHD presentation box container.
I have straight hair, I mostly use the hair dryer on a regular basis and hair straightener occasionally. I have friends who have been using GHD for over 10 years and it works the best till today so I was convinced that GHD would be a good investment. 
SandieNZ
424 posts
I bought some Cloud9 straighteners - I ended up getting them from the Ry.co.au website.  They are fabulous, the reason I got them and not GHDs were a few people told me the GHDs are not lasting as long now and they used to.  Not sure how true that is, but I adore my C9s!
Lutece
1849 posts
Oooh a tropical holiday would be lovely!!
Im not sure if they still sell these but i have a corioliss straightener, they used to have their little kiosks in the mall a long time ago, my mum brought me one about 5 years ago and mine still works like the first time i used it. I have a leopard one with a heat dial because i have fine hair, i hope this helps :)
emann
73 posts
I love ghd.  I'm a hairdresser and have used all sorts and my ghd are the best. Have lasted years. They are a lot of money but worth it. Just make sure you get the real thing. There are fakes out there.
dmnelson71
64 posts
I love love love the InStyler as it leave my hair shiney healthy and beautifully straight.  Unfortunetly both of mine have died since arriving here in NZ as the power difference burned them out.  So buying one here is my next investment.  
H
3 posts
I've had my ghds for about 5 years now and used pretty much on a daily basis and they're still going strong. I ha email heard though that cloud 9s are the new best thing so I would love to try them!
shanellealarna
101 posts
I'm a fan of GHD's. I think they set the bar moons ago - and while I'm sure there are other straighteners out there nowadays to give them a run for their money - I'll always be an old skool fan.

Having said that, I barely use mine these days, since discovering my blow drier gives me better results for straightening, in a 1/5th of the time!! (Haha, hair guru I am not!). 

I use mine on the rare occaision I want some curls, but even then I prefer my curling tong for ease of use.
Seza95
175 posts
The steampod is amazing!!!!! I won one a couple of weeks ago and I love it!! So easy to use and it leaves your hair soft, smooth, light and extremely straight!! I have medium thick wavy hair and it worked so well xo
Im going to strongly recomend GHD, reason being is they are honestly the most tried and trusted. Yes, they are a little more pricy but honestly last you a lifetime. I have had mine for over 8 years and i know so many people who have had theirs even longer. I work in a hair salon and we changed over from GHD to Cloud9 and within 6 months we has about 3 or 4 break because they just couldnt handle constant use. GHD also, because they have been around for so long , have a really good customer service for faults or stuff, often if it breaks you can send it to them and they will replace it for less than a new one in a store.
Also hair condition wise they are really good, in conjuction with a heat protect spray. They have an internal computor which can sence the thickness of your hair and it adjusts the heat to suit that.
EEEEEKKKK hope you get a lovely new birthday presie. 
nemesisroxx
506 posts
I loooove silver bullet straighteners! I have a pink one and I've had it for around 9 years and its still awesome. My hairdresser at the time recommended it as I couldn't afford a ghd and I've been a fan since. It always leavesmy hair super straight, feeling soft and looking shiny. I would totally recommend x
I love my cloud nine! Changed from a GHD to a cloud nine and do not regret it all!
I love my cloud nine! Changed from a GHD to a cloud nine and do not regret it all!
I have had my GHD for 7 years now and haven't had a problem, but I base that on how I look after it. Very well I must say, especially as they are pricey. I do agree that any hair styling/heating tool will damage your hair regardless but its the whole heat protectant spray or argan oil thermo protectant sprays/leave in conditions that could be the difference? for me, I find I don't get that straight prickly dry ends feeling if I use the heat protectant sprays but if I don't..ughh* I don't like the feel of it.
I have my sister in law and cousins/girls and boys who live in the US and they use "Nume" (still waiting for mine in the mail from them...*still waiting, months later) and I checked out their website they have a 3 detachable curler, so you have one wand but with 3 different sized barrels that you can attach...woah! and the straightener works just as well - awesome reviews on youtube, and my US relations say it is awesome.  I did inquire, and they don't ship to NZ directly so I'm assuming you'd go via Youshop?/NZ post?
Lastly, those Cloud 9s look awesome, wouldn't mind giving the nume and c9 a go :)
colleencanary
764 posts
I have my GHD for 6 years and I wouldnt use anything else. I've tried many straightners but the GHD is perfect is for my dry, curly, coarse and rebellious hair.
Ghds are awesome also cloud nines are great!! They have the different heat settings and they were made by the original makers of ghd!  You always must use a heat protector,  it not only protects your hair but also makes the finish way nicer.  As for heat damage I think I the difference is with a better straightener you don't have to keep going over the same piece  of hair go get it straight ,  so once or twice it's done lessening the heat time if each piece of hair if that makes sense.  I have ghds but when I'm at the salon I always find myself reaching for the cloud nines!! 
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I have GHDs and love them. I've had them for 8 years and they still go strong. 
I also have a Jose ebre curling wand. It's AMAZBALLS!! If and if my GHDs die, I'd love a Jose ebre straightner. I've been looking at the cloud 9 to see what's so good. What is so good about them???
SandyGedge
394 posts
Ive always wanted a GHD but have 2 VS Sassoon straightners. One I only brought cause it was limited edition and is pretty with sparkles hehe both I love though and do the job for me :-)
PaigeC
194 posts
I have just tried the silver bullet keratin 230 titanium hair straightener and it is amazing
PaigeC
194 posts
I have just tried the silver bullet keratin 230 titanium hair straightener and it is amazing
Ghd IV 100% best straightener in my view . I have been using this for years and havnt found it damaging to my hair. I have used other straiteners and found they were to hot or didn't give the finish that the Ghd does.
clairemm
11 posts
Ghd eclipse is the way to go (for me anyway). You pass once over the hair and it's dead straight. Less damaging to as you are not repeatedly ironing over the hair.
Bayley
238 posts
GHD's are hands down my fave, but I can't stress enough how important it is to buy these in store!

A few years back me and my cousin got sucked into a good deal online, I must have only been about 16 and when they arrived I was so happy! I was convinced they weren't fakes as they seemed to work just as well as my sisters real ones. My cousin did the authenticity tag test and it came back as fake but we weren't fussed because for the price they were excellent. 

BUT!! they very rapidly began to get less and less hot and I think after about a year they stopped working all together. I've even heard horror stories of these kinds of straighteners blowing up in peoples faces or starting fires.

Have since purchased some in store and they are brilliant. Thought i'd share my story so people don't make the same mistake as me :)
RianaRoera
82 posts
I think GHDS are by far the best to use but with every straightner dont forget to get a hair product to avoid heat damage to your hair. If your on a lower budget a Remington wet to dry straightner is ok but highly recommend GHD.
colleencanary
764 posts
Ong where did you get your Jose Eber curling wand from! I've been dying to own one but have no idea where to get it!
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
On line. They used to advertise them on good morning. You can curl your hair, add hair spray and it stays all day. My hair always drops he curls. They used to have people in the Auckland malls selling them and doing demos.

I absolutely love it!
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Sorry BR I can't link on my iPad 

here you go Colleen 

http://www.josehair.co.nz
tannygirl
3392 posts
I really like my Instyler. Before I bought it my bangs and around my face where I would straighten was all damaged and split ended. But then I switched to the Instyler and eased up on the heat styling and those split ends disappeared. The instyler also left my hair really shiny and I can also add a bit of a curl at the ends if I want. I have regretted everything I've bought off the TV chanel except for this one.
kirstysays
762 posts
@seza95 - What an awesome win! Glad to hear you are liking it I am considering getting that or some cloud nine straightners.  I like the that you can use thinner straightners to curl your hair as well but the steampod is quite large isn't it in comparison to the size of an average straightner.  They have amazing reviews though...I need to start saving pronto!
colleencanary
764 posts
Thanks Ong! Having a nosey now :)
colleencanary
764 posts
Eeeeeek Ong! Looks like I need to start saving or I'll be suffering from poorism buying it now lol... They look soooooo good!
Kellyleanne
551 posts
GHDs are great, I have my second pair now. I used to use it all the time, everyday as I just loved the look of really straight hair. I remember I was one of the first to get one many many years ago and people asked me how i got my hair was so straight! Now they are just so popular. 

But after many many years of using my straighteners I stopped over a year and a half  ago as i didnt have the time to straighten it everyday with a newborn. I have to say my hair is so much healthier now as I just blowdry my hair straight.

I found though GHDs are a great brand and lasts for ages. 
colleencanary
764 posts
Kellyleanne  I find when people complain about GHD's/ whatever other straightners damaging their hair its because they're killing the life out of their hair with over use.

I only use my GHD when I wash and blowdry my and the days in between, I just touch my hair up with a blowdryer and its perfect. I think if you do a really great job straightning your hair when its washed and use decent products that will hold your style you dont have to damage your hair by using it everyday.
Kellyleanne
551 posts
I know what you mean Colleen, its definitely best to use the GHDs minimally as you do. 

I have always washed my hair every second day and with the GHDs I was always tempted to use them too much and therefore my hair got abit heat damaged. 

michelleburne
229 posts
Cloud nine all the way, why? Because unlike GHD's they have a temperature control. I use mine on a low setting as my hair is very fine and coloured. I do straighten it everyday because of the hairstyle I have. My hair is in much better condition after swapping over to cloud nine
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Colleen I'm in love with the curling wand. You can even splash water on the curls and they won't frizz.
little_ferny
33 posts
I've gone from never straightening my hair -  to buying my first pair - cloud nines, which both my hairdressers recomended as better for my hair.  I use them almost everyday and my hair is in better condition than 3 months ago which I find hallariously odd.  Although I can't master the curls myself, my hairdresser can make me look very glam with curls or sleek and striaght in an instant.  I love them, and I love how fast they are and that I can lower the temp if I can get away with it.  They have small travel ones too - which one day I might just have to invest in.  I really don't know why I never bought one earlier.  I have thin, fine hair, I guess I always thought it wouldn't suit me, but actually, It looks fab!  Total convert.  Love the new me with the cloud nine!!  Worth the investment.
little_ferny
33 posts
I've gone from never straightening my hair -  to buying my first pair - cloud nines, which both my hairdressers recomended as better for my hair.  I use them almost everyday and my hair is in better condition than 3 months ago which I find hallariously odd.  Although I can't master the curls myself, my hairdresser can make me look very glam with curls or sleek and striaght in an instant.  I love them, and I love how fast they are and that I can lower the temp if I can get away with it.  They have small travel ones too - which one day I might just have to invest in.  I really don't know why I never bought one earlier.  I have thin, fine hair, I guess I always thought it wouldn't suit me, but actually, It looks fab!  Total convert.  Love the new me with the cloud nine!!  Worth the investment.
Jeri
3 posts
?Best I have ever used is the Karmin!!
LinF
63 posts
I agree with you Jeri - I now have 2, the G3 Salon Pro and the Salon Series. My granddaughter is coming over from Holland the next school break and she has her eye on my G3!
i use KIPOZI Pro Flat Iron and i am totally satisfied with it

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!