Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Going grey - on purpose

40 posts, 12 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
So. About a year ago I developed a potentially fatal allergy to PPD which is used in most brown and black hair dyes.

i found a safe one but started reacting to that so obvs not so safe. 

So, after 25 years of colour and at the still-kinda-young age of 38, I’m officially going to rock the regrowth and go grey. My greys are kinda multi tonal - silver and white with the odd dark strand. I plan to play with coloured tints at some stage, and picked up some colour shampoos in the vault to try. 

Has  anyone else intentionally grown out their hair to a lighter shade, and what were your tricks for the awkward regrowth phase? I’m about 5 weeks in and using root spray some days otherwise just rolling with it.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I used to dye my hair a really dark chocolate brown (it almost looked black), but then it just got too expensive (I was getting it done in a salon) and I can’t be asked to dye my own hair at home.  It’s far too messy for my liking, so I stopped and let it grow out. My natural hair colour is a dark blonde / light brown with the odd natural ‘silver highlight’.

I found that using a clarifying shampoo instead of my normal shampoo helped to strip and lighten the dye much quicker, making it easier to transition and grow it out.  I’m not sure if that would work for you though, but it may be worth a try. 

trudijoy
8375 posts
I wondered about clarifying shampoo but I feel like it’d be super drying?

Maybe once a week or something might work 

RamblingRose
1280 posts
I have very oily hair, so using a clarifying shampoo 2-3 times per week for a few months wasn’t an issue for me.  Obviously different hair types would be affected differently. 

Playing around with different upstyles (ponytail, plaits, hair grips and barrettes) also helped to hide the colour difference.  I also cut my hair shorter so that there’d be less to grow out - went from mid-back to an asymmetrical short bob and then grew my hair to shoulder length. 
First Lady
957 posts
I grew out black once, before Milky was born, so 8 years ago.  I used to wash with clarifying shampoo which did fade it, but I think it just got to the point where I had to just suck it up and rock the regrowth!  I did have a few 50s style head scarves for night's out.

I haven't used colour on my roots in years now (balayage is a lazy girl's best friend hahaha) and I have greys coming through, and you know, I'm not even tempted to start the upkeep of a full head colouring again.

Rainbow roots are in - that might be fun to try Trudi!  My sister has had them for about 4 weeks now, they were bright rainbow to start and have faded to, a kind of prism rainbow?  Super cute.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I’d love that First Lady (the rainbow roots) but probs can’t use proper dye ever again. Hair mascaras etc maybe!

yeah silvene now that the weathers about to get warmer I can go with up do’s and work hats and glasses in I guess. I’m not super worried about it but conscious that it looks a little ‘unkept’ with the professional situations etc. it is what it is and health over vanity but still. I cut my hair off last week from under boob to between shoulder and boob so will probs keep it at this length and eventually it’ll be like a reverse grombre I guess!

First Lady
957 posts
La Riche Directions colours are PPD free, and omg the colour range.   They a coloured conditioner really, but I find the colour really holds, not sure how effective on a grey base, but defo worth reading up on!

I'm waiting for my next order to arrive, ready to My Little Pony-up the rainbow for Spring!!  

trudijoy
8375 posts
Ooh will check those out! I grabbed a pink purple and silver in the vault and basically dec/jan I don’t have conferences and can get away with crazier locks 

my hair grows so fast that it should be past the awkward phase pretty fast 
MareeB
5241 posts
I grew mine out about 8 years ago. Losing heaps of hair because of my thyroid did help because it was too fragile to muck around with anyway. In the beginning it was a matter of toughing it out because the regrowth was ghastly, then when it was long enough, I got it cut very short. It's pretty white now, which is the mark of my Mum's family who go white very early in life. It's just past shoulder length and I keep it in a bun at the nape of my neck, which stops it from flying everywhere but doesn't leave it looking bedraggled.
MareeB
5241 posts
I hope it goes well for you Trudi, it's a big decision at 38.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Take pics id love to see the whole process over time :-) I'm 37 and just grey around the sides which are only noticeable when my hair is up. La riche directions are a great dye with amazing colours! You can literally sleep with it on your hair as I have. I would recommend some cute head scarves when it is at that awkward stage. Good luck I look forward to seeing it all :-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
i have 'one month in' pics if you would like to see, lisa-lou.  I'll keep monthly track i think

Maree - in the end it was 'risk death every time i dye it' or 'grow it out' - so not that hard a decision in the end.  Just annoying, i've been dark brunette most of my life and I think it suits me so this is ...uncertain. 

I won't be cutting my hair very short, ever, i hate it on me, so i'll hope it grows out attractively but i don't think i'll think of it as 'ghastly' (not the way to make me feel more confident about this, that choice of word) because i'm more positive than that and will find things i like. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Yes I would love to see the first pic:-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
on the wall Lisa  - its actually more extensive than it looks here, i should have taken a pic with it in a ponytail but will next time.  I have a video that shows it better but i con't think we can put videos on here?
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Good luck with the process Trudi. Sure you’ll look gorgeous no matter what you’re hair colour, but updos and scarf headbands can conceal a lot, if you’re wanting to hide the regrowth stage. 

I was lucky that when I grew my hair out dark from bleach it blond, I could colour the blond to create an ombré look. But I had plenty of hide the roots days when it was blond.
MareeB
5241 posts
It looks like a lovely shade Trudi. Mine looked ghastly cos it was thin and growing out of a yellowy dye. I did it when I was sick so it was adding to some other misery for me. Looking back, it was only a short time and there's no going back now!
trudijoy
8375 posts
So.... update. Pic is a couple weeks old.

im 3 months and 4 days in to growing out the grey and I unexpectedly LOVE it. Most of my head is grey now and the grey is like white with silver threads. I keep getting asking how I got it so light!

ive sprayed the roots pink for a day and have a holographic purple spray but I actually love it and by the end of summer it will be grown out enough to look grombre!

ill pop another pic on the wall but yeah..., I've had one day of angst over it in three months, and squashed that by intentionally exposing the grey and going out
BR-Queenie
261 posts
Hey Trudi 

Lovin this look on you. It really suits you!

trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks Queenie - it's going to be super dramatic as a change, but apparently everyone loves it (and most importantly I do too) 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I love this also! It really suits you! Looking gorgeous. Glad to see you back x
trudijoy
8375 posts
Even more dramatic pic on the wall lol.

thanks Lisa x
tabucutie
1811 posts
Hair looks awesome!
Susilia
484 posts
Your hair is looking great Trudi! I was wondering where you were, I was so used to seeing your posts on the forum, I hope you feel better now! :)
Kimrose
1416 posts
Omgosh Trudi, your hair looks totally amazing! You know ladies pay heaps of money for that look, it really suits you. I love your signature pink lippy as well
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks Susilia, Kim and tabucutie x

kim, 100% always and forever with pink lips (and the odd purple. With pink tones lol)

Susilia combo of spam frustration, a few of my threads got deleted while the spam was cleaned up which was also frustrating, being sick and life being busy. I also wrote an article on avoiding online burnout, and figured I should take my own advice lol
tabucutie
1811 posts
It's always good to follow our own advice trudi, although i'm not so good at that sometimes lol.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i've literally linked to my own article in the paperwork for my upcoming performance review at work, with a very simple goal listed of 'Listen to myself here' 
trudijoy
8375 posts
4 months growing as of yesterday, and in addition to the colour there are a few things my hair's started doing that are amaaaaaaaaazing side effects of not dying it all the time:

- it's soooo much healthier, softer, shinier  etc.  I can't keep my hands out of it half the time lol
- it sits better in styles and even just freshly washed and air drying.  Now that i'm letting it do it's thing it's just.... happier
- my head isn't itchy at all, ever.  I used to constantly be scratching my scalp

There's been a massive upturn in the number of people commenting on it.  Most people assume it's a fashion choice and are stunned to learn that it's my natural colour, which is endlessly amusing.  Apparently I have a 'super young face' and so watching people reconcile that with silver/white hair is fun.

anyway i'll pop a pic to the wall a bit later if anyones' keen :) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
6 months (and one day) in and making significant progress! 

pic on wall if anyone's keen to see x 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Better pic on the wall now :) 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I think it really suits you Trudi, looks really good x
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks munchkin mama xx 

It's not a choice o thought I'd make but I'm loving it 
trudijoy
8375 posts
It was a year on Monday and I was still crazy sick then so I took my one year pics today. There's one on the wall. I hope it's not another year before it's all grown out, I'd like to be done by my 40th in Feb lol 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Soooo I'm no longer going grey....

.... coz I got a haircut and apart from a few random  bits, we are there!

feels so strange to not be in that growing out phase now lol 
Millyw
63 posts
Wow it looks amazing! I have hair envy! 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks milly!  xx
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Wow looks great Trudi. Is your hair naturally straight?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Depends Lisa. Sometimes it decides it needs to wave, sometimes it just goes dead flat. Basically does what it wants, but it's blown straight here 
Kimrose
1416 posts
Oh Trudi, it really suits you, you look amazing
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh thanks kim ! x 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!