Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Farmers Club Points are changing

54 posts, 30 members
alikat
423 posts
From 4th July, your $200 beauty spend is only from certain high end brands like Revlon, Clarins, YSL, Bobbi Brown, Mac, Dior etc and Maybelline, Rimmel, Chi Chi, Loreal and their ilk are out in the cold. 

They've also changed it to earning points dollar for point across the store from that date and some weird as season reset thing.

Not sure if this has already been started as a thread elsewhere, but I'm not liking this! Whats everyone elses thoughts?
-Bex-
611 posts
Yes I got the letter in the mail today Ali and I was reading it going what the??!! It didn't really make a lot of sense maybe I should get it and read it properly since 4 children are now happily in the land of nod. But from what I read I wasn't overly impressed. I loved it the way it was
alikat
423 posts
Yeah not sure if I've got a severe case of the dumbs because I'm writing my final essay for the semester (on the night before its due - why break the trend of a semester?) or if it really is that complicated. I almost have a business degree and I can't make sense of it.

At least I've sussed out that Riccarton has a MAC and Bobbi Brown that I can get farmers points on, so thats a bonus for moving down there :)
-Bex-
611 posts
yeah just had a decent read, your right you get a $20 voucher if you spend $200 on those brands and on any fragrance. Then they calculate your points over a season. 100 points is the privilege pass, 250 points is $5 off and $10 off when you have 500 points. I guess if you don't buy a lot of beauty products it's fairer. 
Emily-jane
314 posts
I was just about to start a thread on this. I received the letter in the mail today as aswell and agree with you guys I'm seriously not impressed by the changes. They had such a great reward system so why change it? I nearly had enough points for a voucher too so very disappointed.
Ringy
825 posts
I only just changed my address yesterday so i don't think I'll get the letter! Should I just go there tomorrow and get it up to 200 points ( think I'm 10 away)  and then spend the $20 as well? Or just wait and see? What you are saying the changes are sort of doesn't make sense to me!
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Ahh I was about 50 points away from my $20 off. But I don't really need anything beauty related. I am going to check out NYX at Farmers this weekend, so that could change though. I didn't get a letter about the changes, so thanks for sharing. It sounds more confusing and even more narrow in what you can use it for. But possibly those who don't spend on beauty might benefit more.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Aw I didn't receive anything about this, I would've thought they'd send an email seeing as they send you one to tell you when you've got a $20 reward etc.

I can't seem to take from this what exactly the changes are lol but i just used my most recent $20 reward on the weekend to buy a new eyelash/brow tinting kit so this is making me grateful that I did! 
shazatron101
5112 posts
No letters here either, but surely if they were doing a massive change like this then everyone should be getting told one way or another, so that's a bit rubbish on their part. I don't think I like the sound of this new scheme either so that's fine, I just won't go to Farmers as often :D
shazatron101
5112 posts
Oh Ringy you should go spend your points too, I've heard that everyone is getting their points taken back to 0. I dunno if that is true but I mean, this site is all about enabling right? ;-) 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Wow that's a serious downgrade then! Thanks for posting this alikat, first I have heard and I'm a very long time Farmers Club (formerly Beauty Club) member.

To be fair the scheme has been pretty generous - a $20 voucher for every $200 beauty spend is effectively a 10% discount.

I have spend literally thousands of dollars there over the years and have had more vouchers than I like to admit. However I am really disappointed. I have cut my spending way down so it won't affect me as much but I may chose to shop elsewhere now.
Macs
5351 posts
I wonder why they changed it. I've been collecting points there too. On a rare occasion I might shop there. 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I am not really pleased by this turn of events as I would have thought a little more notice would be appropriate, I haven't received anything on email or post yet for this but they very nicely sent me a reminder about the red dot sale with my points value on it. So I am enabling myself to go and spend enough to get my voucher and then cash in the voucher today, since I only really need to spend $60 to get there.
As for some of the cheaper brands with the new countdown in Ponsonby they have gotten in more drugstore brands like Rimmel and something else along side Maybelline and Collection, so my onecard will get a little more use for buying these but the points thing isn't anywhere near as good.
Emily-jane
314 posts
According to the letter I received if you still have vouchers after the change over date (which I think is the 4th of July) they will still honour them. It's disappointing the new system only includes the high end make up brands.
MrsRosie
214 posts
No letter recreived here either, so this is all complicated and sad news to me :( I have been a loyal customer to Farmers over the years spending much money on beauty products and receiving too many vouchers to name!

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot as this will only push more people to look elsewhere, namley online for their 'cheaper' makeup brands. I hope this means they will put their high end brands in ALL Farmers to make it fair... A girl can dream right ;)
Kimrose
1416 posts
I recieved "the" letter last evening. I read it through today and I will be using my voucher and I will not be spending so much time (and money) at Farmers.  They have not improved their reward system and doing a season thing, not too sure what their thinking behind that was.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I suspect that the letter will arrive today as I am on 3 day delivery. I have however spent the $56.23 to get my voucher. More things to review, might start on those while at work.

Mrs Rosie if you are looking at a lot of high end things Smith and Caugheys have them on the website other than Mac and I think the Christchurch version, Ballantynes and don't forget Mecca. I am more than certain that they will assist with high end purchases.
Ringy
825 posts
So I was very enabled- went and got the Lee Stafford poker straight heat protectant as I needed to spend $13 to get a $20 voucher. I asked the staff member serving me if it I'll still b able to use the $20 after the changes happen next week and she didn't know. So I spent it on a Nyx bb cream. I also ended up with a pair of Peter Alexander flannelette pyjamas- when that shopping frenzy hits...
janini9
341 posts
I'm not impressed at all with the new points/rewards. So as a finale to using Farmers as my goto store I'll rack up enough for a final $20 voucher and reassess where  my future shopping purchases will occur.  I might have to defect to Life pharmacy for cosmetic things from now on.
Julieal
915 posts
Yes very disappointing as it gives you 3 months to get points and then just a discount off a purchase. I will probably not bother in future.
That sucks
MissQT
1547 posts
Hmm I need to check my mail. I don't like the sound of these changes :(
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I haven't received a letter or email about these new changes but will look into it. Seems there alot of people that aren't to happy with the new changes.
Rajvee2588
221 posts
I have been using farmers club card for long time but didn't notice or didn't bother to look how much points I have. I after read this forum discussion I am going to find out how much I have. Thanks BR Ladies.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I haven't received either a letter or email, which is funny as they have no qualms about sending me advertising. Honestly I think this new situation sucks and the rewards were really the only reason I purchased from Farmers. I can't see myself purchasing very often - if at all, from them now. The fact they haven't told a lot of people leaves a sour taste in my mouth so I think I'll use the reward voucher I currently have and purchase Chi Chi (the main reason I went to Farmers), directly from their site. 
I doubt I'll be buying much from there now. Seems I need another 44 points for the reward so I'll fill those up and won't spend much more. I'm quite disappointed since this gave me motivation to spend there, even if a little at a time.

No idea what to fill it with yet...
Koni
444 posts
I've gone through the letter a few times and it's quite a change particularly for beauty lovers who enjoyed earning a point for every dollar on ALL beauty brands and fragrances.  It's shocking that the only indication of this change on their website is "Farmers Club is changing - check back on the 4th of July" - wow.

At this stage I'm not very excited about their 'club points' or with any of the super deals or 'exclusive to club member' deals in the catalogue they sent.  So I popped into Farmers this morning and bought a few beauty items to secure what will most likely be my last $20 voucher for a long time. The old rewards system was great while it lasted!
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Having finally read my letter that arrived yesterday and being less than impressed on some of the brands. Why? because they have the ones that have counters, expensive and being big international brands that are getting the points. Trilogy and Snowberry are not exactly cheap and budget friendly in my opinion and as well as being NZ brands, not on the list.
tannygirl
3392 posts
 I haven't gotten a letter either. But I went into Farmers yesterday and asked about the new rewards system and why and they said they looked in their database and out of over a milion customers only 300,000 have ever gotten a $20 reward. So they changed their system so everyone can get rewards.
  But I don't understand why they don't they keep their reward system with the beauty points and vouchers and just implement the new rewards system to the rest of their stuff? Oh well, the nearest Farmers is about an hour bus ride away anyways so I guess I'll be buying more from other stores. The main reason I shopped at Farmers was the good rewards system, it's not like they're cheaper than other stores so I guess more online shopping for me. 
Emily-jane
314 posts
I did an online shop yesterday so I could receive my $20 voucher. There were a few things I had been wanting for awhile so I could justify spending. Hopefully they don't go back on their word about the voucher still being redeemable after the 4th as I didn't realise you can only use the voucher instore. Farmers will probably lose loyal customers now as there are cheaper places to buy make up.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i haven't seen communication from Farmers about this, but really appreciated the headsup as I went and cashed in my voucher today (and spent a little extra, meh)

I got the Chichi blenders 4 pack and a Sally Hansen duo, and - seeing as Farmers seem to be choosing to lose customers now - might be looking elsewhere in future. Chichi, Lee Stafford and Australis are the main beauty things I get in Farmers, and I know I can get Australis elsewhere; not sure about the other two!
siouxsannah
261 posts
I didn't get a letter, but I logged in to my Farmers Reward account and saw they still had my old address. I was also down as "Mr". Hmmm...
I have 46 points to go before I get a voucher, so I may need to go shopping tomorrow. 
janini9
341 posts
I spent $49 on a lovely new Elizabeth Arden lipgloss and got my $20 voucher and used it immediately. Along with a Westfield voucher for another one of the new Elizabeth Arden lip glosses. That's the most I've ever spent on lip glosses, but I really like them and since things are changing at Farmers, I'm picking that there won't be the usual yearly phone call offering me a free full Elizabeth Arden Makeup session in August for my Birthday.

I also voiced my opinion of the new points system and apparently they have had a bit of negative feedback from regular customers. 
The main things I don't like is that all points expire at the end of each season, and there are no longer points on all beauty products. I also noticed, that there are some major changes to the clothes brands Farmers is stocking and I'm not liking those changes either. 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Okay so I've now seen a little more about it i'm like ehhh? 500 points gets you $10 off IF you spend $50 or more? pssht. And the points only last 6 months. So you have to spend $500 in 6 months to get $10 off your next purchase, but only if you spend another $50. 

And to give such little notice. I know I'll be taking my unecessary beauty spending elsewhere!
Rezee
1964 posts
Oh no, that sounds so silly! I went into farmers on thursdsy and bought a few clearance items which bumped me up the few points I needed to get a voucher. I won't have a chance to spend it before Monday,  I so hope I don't lose it or I'll be bummed as.I've gotten so many vouchers over the years.  Even from way back when you used to get a paper voucher.  Farmers is more expensive so while I don't think it was the most amazing discount, it was nice to get that little extra.  I don't think I would be able to earn anything with this new way sadly.
Rezee I don't think I'll be earning any points either. My biggest beauty splurges are perfumes and well, they simply don't carry any that I want except for Lanvin's Arpege which is at the bottom of my wishlist.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I do not like this move that Farmers has made & ammI recently seen on the Farmers fb page a good feedback comment. Farmers has lost me as a customer
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I too will be minimising my shopping at Farmers. The current three month rewards are also so stingy - a mere $5 off your next $50+ purchase when you have 250 points, meaning you have spend $250 there.

I'm not suprised only a third of customers have ever got a $20 reward. The Farmers Club was originally called the Beauty Club, and every $1 spent on beauty was 1 point. In the last few years they have changed the name and you can now earn points across the store, though at a much lower rate.
Lutece
1849 posts
I got the letter too and I dont like the new changes :( So many people dont like it either, maybe there will be more perks that they will be sharing with us soon
alikat
423 posts
Well, once upon a time I used to get postcards saying I was one of their best customers and inviting me to all sorts of things, but that'll stop. Going to locate some new beauty haunts in Christchurch next week on Tuesday that can be worthy of my custom. 

If anyone wants a giggle, the 'others' posts on their facebook wall is something else...
siouxsannah
261 posts
I have just been reading the comments on Farmers facebook page, and you are right - it's hilarious! Everyone hates Farmers now. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I was browsing through these yesterday too and liked a lot of them to show my support for the complaints. I really think they should have done better and given far more notice about the changes.
I had a field day looking at those comments! Why didn't I think to look at them earlier?
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I finally got an email about this. It has been in the news too. Hopefully the massive backlash might make them think more carefully next time.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I never got a letter, but did get an email about this yesterday.  Come to think of it, I haven't received anything in the mail from Farmers since I moved last year and updated my address on their website.  I even logged on yesterday to check if my address details had updated correctly.  It's very strange. Maybe Farmers don't post mail to my new area? I don't see why not though, as I get posted mail from Spotlight, etc.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Farmers finally put on their common sense hat! I got an email yesterday from Farmers and they are changing the rewards system. Finally 1 point for every dollar spent on all beauty and fragrance, not just the high end brands. 250 points = $20 reward to be spent storewide.  Points expire after six months and the reward needs to spent within three months. 
    It used to be $200 spend on beauty = $20 voucher, so this is a 8% instead of 10% return on money spent on beauty, so not the same as it used to be but it's much better than the previous rewards system they had that no one liked.
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh that's good - i hope existing points transfer over and they don't wipe us all out to zero!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I got the email as well and it said "Don't worry, you are still collecting your Summer Seasonal Club points in December towards the final Seasonal Rewards that will be issued in January."  That kinda sounds like they will wipe existing points then?

I'm they're going back to what appears to be the old system. I wish their points didn't expire after 6 months though. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
  All my club points for all purchases made are gone! I haven't bought any of Farmers high end, selected beauty that they would give me points towards a voucher on their previous system. I guess it's effective for any future beauty purchases. 
MissQT
1547 posts
ah yes I saw in the card I received in the mail that it said you receive points on all fragrance and beauty and u actually thought it was just a one day deal thing. Good to know that it's a permanent change.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!