Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

40 posts, 15 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
Just posted my latest empties pic (I know, exciting Sat night haha) and was thinking about how actively panning/using things has encouraged me to go through and find all the things in my stash with half or less left to use to focus on using up, and it's been a real success! I have more room in my (large) bathroom cupboard, I've revisited old faves, and I've found things I really need to review.

Will be keeping this up as long as possible, I think!
kirstyj
1732 posts
I have so many empties this month! I've really been focused in trying to use up my handcream and it is doing me a world of good.

I love concentrating on emptying things, I just think that it means you concentrate of getting things out rather than getting things in. Unfortunately this month I have bought myself some new skincare so I'm probably going to end up with just as much stuff.
Koni
444 posts
It's exciting to me Trudi :-) I love seeing empties - it gives me hope haha and it inspires me to keep going.I'm on a major panning/declutter journey this year and I'll be posting my empties for the past 3 months this Friday. It's probably $700+ worth of empties (yeappp I'm on a mission). I kept the "trash" as motivation but I'm looking forward to throwing it out come Friday.So far I've found that:

1. I actually hate a lot of the samples I receive
2. I really love warm eyeshadows
3. I have a lot of useless "oil free" beauty items
4. Companies need to work on their lipgloss packaging so I can get to the bottom!?

Kirsty I've bought new items too in the past 3 months but only if I know that I'm not going to throw a tanty over rehoming items from my collection hehe. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
I haven't been keeping my empties but I'm finally down to my last sheet mask from my first sheet mask haul, which will be going on my face tonight. I haven't used any of my more expensive ones since I really want to get rid of my cheapies first. I want to see if there's a noticeable difference for me since the formula for those ones is cheap and loaded with alcohol. I'm a bit more knowledgeable about ingredients then when I first started collecting. 
kirstyj
1732 posts
Can't wait to see the pic Koni. Just find it so motivating to see I'm not the only one downsizing :)
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I have soooo many half bottles of shampoo and conditioner....my goal is to try and use them up but so far it has not worked. I seem to buy new ones every time I get groceries so just put the half used ones in my cupboard...lol it is a bad habit
JessB
219 posts
Know exactly what you mean Lisa-Lou! Keeping little end bits of my shampoo and conditioner bottles is probably what I'm worst at. Especially if my hair gets to the stage of not liking a shampoo anymore (this ever happen to anyone else??) so I just end up buying a different shampoo and avoiding using the already open bottles.
trudijoy
8375 posts
haha i used to do that Lisa.

Jess, my hair adores my shampoo but goes in and out of love with conditioner, i usually have to have 2 of these on the go minimum!
Macs
5351 posts
My bag is filling up. I did do empties last month, but I didnt post it on BR. I love seeing empties.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Here's a question, does collecting your empties help you use up items? If so I need to start!
I have a basket of products under my bathroom sink and I never get around to using them! If I run out of a cream or dislike a conditioner etc I just buy a new one instead of using up items I have.
trudijoy
8375 posts
amy yesssssss! when i'm not collecting empties I don't care what I use up, this keeps me motivated in some weird way.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
This was on my mind so am glad that it's a thread. I had loads of empties last week but I ditched them and decided I'm not doing a empties anymore because I feel like a hoarder even though they're empty it just feels cluttered. It does motivate me for using up things but I don't really have an excess of daily items. The excess is in the makeup area which In getting down on the double up's even when I hauling
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Doing a monthly empties post definitely helps me to pan items that I'm tired of using.  I keep all my empties for the month inside an old shoe box in the bottom of the linen cupboard, so there is no clutter and they're all in one place when I need to photograph them at the end of the month. 

How do the rest of you store your empties?  I'm curious. 
Koni
444 posts
Amy it helps me a lot l, I feel like I spend more time shopping my stash than online buying stuff that I'll only love for a minute. I'm a tad excessive where I have a spreadsheet to track the cost of the items I've used up.

Silvene, I have 2 white storage containers (Kmart) 1 for empties and the other for MAC empties. They're next to my makeup station because they're opaque with lids so they're not an eyesore.
kirstyj
1732 posts
Loving this thread. 

I keep my empties in a box behind my rubbish bin just so it is out of site. 

Amy - it really motivates me to increase the amount of empties, then I get on a role. If you don't keep your empties you don't feel as accountable to finishing stuff. Eventually you get on a role and it becomes easier. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Silvene I have a waterproof hessian bag (actually a wine bag haha) that i put them into, which hangs off the back of my bathroom door.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I'll admit I was being daft, and left them on my windowsill of my bathroom ( I'd forget they were there otherwise). Which is why it felt cluttered. Thing is I rearranged storage, & have three big bins, in my walkin of which these were intended for. Now 1 can be Lush, 1 makeup & the other skincare products. This is why I'd like this thread. Thanks for starting it. There's some good ways of storage here.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Koni that's really organised and convincing. I have a list of everything I haven't opened and in which storage box it's waiting, plus the number of that type of product I have unopened so I can see at a glance if I have too many. But I don't have the cost added. 
MareeB
5241 posts
Gosh you ladies are organised! I just throw things in the bin as I empty them!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yes! Once mine are finished I just want them gone! I keep my Lush and back to Mac empties in an old Lush gift box. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Please could someone let me know what happens with Lush's empties.  I got my first few Lush products for Christmas and now I'm reading that ladies keep these separate. Can they be taken back to the store? Does this apply to all empties or the black pots only? And how many empties do you need to take in at a time? 

Sorry for all all the questions, but I couldn't find anything on Lush's website. It might be there and I just didn't look properly ... it's been a long day! 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Silvene, five black or clear tubs (not bottles) of any size can be exchanged for a fresh face mask. Which has reminded me to go and use mine :)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thank you, Soozie.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Are back to Mac lipstick's only? Please help me with this question thanks
kirstyj
1732 posts
Any plastic container Keri. So can be oil cleanser, concealer, powder.... whatever.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
They now take back glass foundation bottles too. This is from their website:

BACK-TO-M·A·C
Most primary packaging of M·A·C products can be returned as part of the Back-to-M·A·C Program. Primary packaging is packaging used to contain the product itself [e.g. an eye shadow pot, lipstick shell, lash case]. Secondary packaging is used to protect / contain the primary item [e.g. the cardboard box that contains eye shadow].
M·A·C DOES NOT ACCEPT THE FOLLOWING AS A PART OF THE PROGRAM
*         The Pro Palette metal eye shadow / blush / powder pan.
*         Secondary packaging of any sort [paper box, plastic / cellophane wrapper, shopping bags, etc.]
*         Samples [sample containers, special / trial / promotional / travel size Sized to Go / products for promotional / seasonal kits]
*         Cosmetic applicators / tools [disposables, lash applicators, puffs, sponges, scissors, spatulas, swabs, sharpeners, tweezers, curlers]
*         Accessories [bags, belts, makeup cases, Blot Film]
Julieal
915 posts
That was my N Years resolution to use what I have open first and I have been mainly successful however that hasn't stopped me buying new which are waiting there in the cupboard to open !!!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Thank you ladies, I think I'll start collecting my empties and see if that helps me use up what I already have :)
JessB
219 posts
So many great ideas and lots of inspiration to de-clutter. I am also convinced... Next thing you know the photo wall will be full of empties and storage ideas! 
Macs
5351 posts
Looking forward to seeing your empties ladies. I have a bag full of empties from Lush. Im finding it hard to finish off my current cup o coffee face mask from Lush. I might use it as a body scrub to finish it. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
was initially gutted that my MAC minis can't be Back to Mac'd but they're perfect travel containers so I got over it haha.

Macs what's the issue with Cup o'Coffee? Intrigued as that's SUPER high on my want list atm
Macs
5351 posts
 I think is the problem is I have too many masks. I do love that mask. I might increase from once a week to twice a week.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Thanks soozie and Kirsty does that include fix plus too?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Should do Keri, so long as it's full sized. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Swwet thanks Soozie. I may have a mac cube soon.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
What's a Mac cube, Keri?
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Sorry soozie that's my term for a used mac items will be going into a cube or cubbie in my walk in.
You lot are very convincing! I'd been considering doing empties photos but now I'm DEFINITELY going to start! I just have to work out somewhere to put them where they are not cluttering up my bathroom. Cross fingers it helps motivate me to finish stuff up. I'm pretty good about finishing something before I start the next but I do still have one of every variant open in my cupboard - eg a face wash bar, a micellar water, a cleansing balm, a cream cleanser AND wipes on the go at the same time!
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I've kept my empties under my sink in a bag as a last stop to make sure I have reviewed them before they get to the wheely bin. Maybe a photo might get me motivated.
trudijoy
8375 posts
too much travelling coming up for me to bother with this for a few months... i'll miss it! I've just gotten back from Dunedin and I'm off to Samoa, Melbourne, and Wellington in the next 5 weeks, then probably Dunedin again and the Gold Coast by mid-late July so I think it's probably going to be too hard over that season - will definitely pick it up again once I'm back home for a while!

Side note...am panning a lipstick, which I forgot at out air bnb this morning and we actually went back just so I could collect it lol

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!