Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Eczema and cracking on hands - suggestions?

18 posts, 13 members
JessB
219 posts
Hello you wonderful people. I've been having some issues this winter with even more cracking and eczema-like spots on my hands than usual. I have a steroid ointment to help them heal, but I can't overuse it because it thins skin when used too often. The paw paw ointment by Sunkin I use is helping quite a bit with healing once cracked but I could use more help.

Does anyone else have similar issues? Any suggestions for hand care?
shazatron101
5112 posts
You could try Rhino Repair by Oasis - NZ brand, and yeah its expensive but it's been approved by the eczema association so it must be good, right!? I'd post a link but the tablet hates me and doesn't let me do that :'(
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Definitely Rhino Repair, it helps a lot and it comes it two sizes, family size and travel size.  I'll provide the links that Shaz couldn't:

Beauty Review Rhino Repair reviews

Oasis Beauty website
shazatron101
5112 posts
Bahahah thanks Silvene, you're a star xx
JessB
219 posts
Thanks Shaz and Silvene!! Will definitely try out the Rhino Repair - looks like everyone loves it :) 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Since I started using Lush's handygurugu hand cream the excema has completed disappeared off my hands. It's quite heavy so I just use it at night and lighter hand creams during the day. (I've reviewed it on here but can't link on my iPad) Ask Lush for a sample of you live near one. I swear by it. It's the first time my hands have been eczema free for years. 
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
I get awful eczema ( and being a beauty therapist I hate having to see clients when my hands are looking terrible)
The only thing that has worked for me is getting an aqueous cream from the doctor and making my own essential oil blend to mix in with the cream - at the moment I've got Basil, german chamomile & Neroli and it literally clears up my eczema overnight.
I've heard really good things about the rhino cream though, it just didn't work for me, but definitely an easier route than making your own!
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I agree with the oasis rhino repair. That stuff is honestly amazing. I've sensitive skin that gets burned super easily so I always have a tube of this on my wardrobe and another as backup. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Trying to remember what my brother used... Body Shop Hemp cream I think?

I couldn't cope with the scent of rhino repair but my hands don't actually crack so I might cope if I had to
Emily-jane
314 posts
Totally agree about Rhino repair. I get very dry and cracked skin between my fingers and when I remember to use it, it works really well.
Ringy
825 posts
I'll second The Body Shop hemp cream - worked wonders on my stinging, dry hands. 
Macs
5351 posts
My sister gets it. The only products that seem to work for her is Cetaphil and Lush hand creams. I got her Love and Light seemed to be ok .
Julieal
915 posts
QV lotion helps me -I smother my hands at night and wear gloves -very soothing
JessB
219 posts
I'd be interested in mixing my own essential oils, though could be a bit time/money consuming.  I do have light & love hand cream from Lush already and I quite like it but it doesn't fully get the job done. Might go talk to Lush and ask for some samples :) 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I have problems with eczema on my hands I have found that Oasis Rhino Repair is really soothing but you might want to spot treat the inflamed areas as well. I would recommend switching out your regular hand wash or bar soap for Sabun soap I think it's about $15 for two really big bars I like to cut them in half and use half at a time. They also make an eczema balm which I'd like to review when it gets added to the database. It's no frills formula but is really soothing and effective at helping things clear up. At $15 for 60gm it's the cheapest balm/salve I have come across. I would warn you though both products smell funky but they were cheap and effective at getting my eczema on my hands under control. 
   Other products that were non-irritanting for me is Lush Dream Cream. Lush Helping Hands and Trilogy's Ultra Hydrating Handcream is great for replenishing moisture after hand washing. Weleda Skinfood is another staple for me and I really notice a difference when I don't use it at night. 
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
The best oils for eczema are a little pricy ( german chamomile is around $14 for a 1ml bottle, butyou don't use much so it does last a while), and then top notes like basil, bergamot, tea tree are all good and then base notes like sandalwood, rose, frankincense are all a bit on the pricey side as well. I literally just fill my lush cream pottle (the small one) with aqueous cream and drop the oils in there (I do 10 drops of the top and middle notes and 5 drops of the base note) and swirll it round and that lasts me ages. But like i said, if you're one of those lucky people that can find a shop bought product that helps, definitely go that route because its probably cheaper and definitely easier haha.
Julieal
915 posts
Another suggestion is to use heel balm on your hands at night -Really great for healing cracks on heels and really soothing .
TabbyWa
4 posts
I have eczema and one cream I found really good is the Neutrogena Norwegian Hand Cream. You can buy from Countdown and other supermarkets at a reasonable price!

If it's a major problem, you can always buy a low-strength steroid cream from a pharmacy (no more than $15) and slap on overnight - it will provide the quickest results. A pharmacist shoudl be able to help you pick the right one.

Beware of using Lush items as a lot of them contain sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) which can irritate sensitive skin. :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!