Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Do You Do Reviews On Samples?

8 posts, 6 members
tabucutie
1811 posts
Hi all, title is pretty self explanatory but I was wondering if you do reviews for samples? I have done in the past if its a generous size sample where I have used it multiple times. Like say more than 5x. But the smaller samples with less uses, it would be unfair to review right?
shazatron101
5112 posts
It probably would be but then it depends, in my opinion. If you see immediate results after using id probably review it, but i know others wouldnt feel the same so i dunno.

Its better than using it on your hand in store and reviewing that lol
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
This is from the review standards (scroll to bottom of page for link):

2.  To really put a product to the test, try it over a few weeks. Note how your lifestyle and day to day activities affect it.  Read the product information - does it do what it says it will?  Is the product what you expected in consistency, application, texture?  Did it last as long as it said it would?  For products that specify a time frame (ie. "visibly whiter teeth in 14 days") at least trial it as directed for the time frame. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I would review a deluxe mini that I got several uses of as some of those can last weeks. I wouldn't review a sachet sample though. 
Emily-jane
314 posts
Deluxe sizes usually yes but sachets no as they typically only last a few times. I guess it also depends what it is. Skincare samples are much harder to know if they are right for your skin etc. Make up samples I usually have a really good indication. However product packaging and ease of use etc are up a good part of the product review and with samples/ deluxe samples they are often not in the original packaging.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I agree with the deluxe mini being possible but a sachet not, unless it's a sachet you've used a few times and is designed to be used once a week eg. The Omorivicza scalp mask for example - I have two sachets in my stash and I e used one already. If my experience is the same with all three I would feel okay about giving an opinion it. 

I look at it like this: would you be annoyed to find out that a reviewer had only used the product in question a couple times before giving an opinion that may sway a purchase?  If yes, then you have your answer. If no then ask yourself if you have enough information to write a good review, and be honest that you had a sample so can't comment on packaging or use over time. 

Chances are if you are questioning it you know it's not okay.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Thanks ladies all helpful points of view. Appreciated.
Kimrose
1418 posts
I have done a few reviews on deluxe samples I have received.  These are samples that can last a couple of weeks, depending on what product it is.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!