Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Do you cut tubes open?

41 posts, 25 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm my nanas granddaughter and I won't throw things out unless I've cut them open to make sure they're all gone ... You?
Macs
5351 posts
No never done it before. I noticed my partners Aunty doing it . I have a habit of leaving a little bit right at the end. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Lol, I just cut a tube open before reading this. My grandad taught me when I was a kid and told me to always cut the tube open! So much goodness still hiding inside! I feel cheated when it's a hard plastic you can't cut. Or glass bottles you can't get everything out of. 
MissQT
1547 posts
yep I sure do! I hack open every product I finish (if the packaging lets me) and if there's quite a bit left, like a body lotion, I'll empty that into a smaller tub. I always like to use up every last drop.
First Lady
957 posts
I cut my first tube open about 2 hours ago and I was GOBSMACKED.  

I was convinced it was empty, but it felt heavy, so the Curious George in me grabbed the scissors.

About 1/4 of the product was in there!  

xox
tannygirl
3392 posts
I've definitely sawed quite a few lotion bottles open and I've cut through a few tubes but the majority of what I use comes in a glass bottle (serums) or a pump bottle. If it's a squeezy tube I just squeeze every last bit out the best I can. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Soozie we're both well trained by grandparents ;)

Nat I lnoooow I got a full week more out of my Anna Sui BB cream by cutting it! Crazy eh?
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Yes cut my porefessional open and got a whole lot of use out of doing that actually I'm going to do that with my cc cream tomorrow. I also do it with the lagirl concealers too
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I like how the Dermologica anti redness primer came with a thingy that helps get every last bit out of the tube I'm kowhere near finished but it's been pressed down 1 third of the tube
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I do! I had the tube of my favorite primer in the bathroom draw, I decided the other morning to cut it open and HELLO! Heaps of product left. I've done it with hand creams before too :)
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Absolutely. My Mum always has done that so I've always done it without even thinking about it.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I have heard that you keep the part you have cut off to form a lid to reseal it, I normally use a bulldog clip on a tube. Shampoo and conditioner normally get a bit of water added to loosen it out of the bottle. Anything else gets angled downwards to make it easier to get at. Mum made it look so easy when she was doing it.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I've never done it before, but all these comments are making me think I need to start! I do always squeeze out every ounce of product I physically can though.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I cut my it cosmetics cc cream and I reckon I have a months worth to use now yayyyy
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I cut my tubes open and scoop whatever is left into an empty screw top tub.  

I "finished" a bullet of Maybelline Fit Me foundation last month but the base still holds so much! I have a small concealer brush that I'm using to swirl around in the base of the stick to get the last of the product out before applying it to my face and using a foundation brush to smooth it out. So far I've gotten another week's use out and there's still half the bullet holder still to go, so probably another week or two's worth! 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I've been trying to figure how to get all that product out of my glass foundation tubes. I might try using a concealer brush.

I've also used a lip brush on lipsticks to get all that product at the bottom out.

k3r1pakai
1185 posts
You wouldn't believe it I've saved heaps of those resealable tubs from things like sample foundation so I decided to put them to use just now for my cc cream and had a good thing going then I slipped and th tub split everywhere it flipped went a meter away from here I was working with it and I saved some but lost lots to the carpet & furniture arrrgh my life right now :(
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh no, Keri!

Yeap, I cut the tube in half then fit the top half over the bottom half. Works well. You can buy little silicon scrapers on eBay to get the last out of your glass bottles but I've yet to get one. Brushes are usually to wide to get through the bottle neck. I always use a brush to scrape out lipstick/concealor bullets. 

The only time I don't do all this is if I don't like a product and I'm just glad it's done! And my Mac BB tubes. I squeeze the life out of them as I don't know if they'd still accept them for back to Mac cut in half. 
It depends! I have this Shiseido cleanser which I should just say I'm so mentally done with it. It's huge and it's the sort of thing you need a full year to go through because it's so rich.

When it comes to hand creams I don't hesitate to cut stuff open, especially with L'Occitane ones. 
I always cut containers/tubes open. Even my Vaseline Cocoa radiant moisturiser containers. I am a week in to my tube of Dermalogica ultra sensitive tint spf30 at the moment. Amazing how much product is left behind.
MissQT
1547 posts
oh dear keri! Those little sample tubs are so handy though.
Macs
5351 posts
One day il cut the tube when I finally find something I really liked. 
Jcw29
20 posts
I've never done this, infact I can't believe I haven't been doing this! What is wrong with me, I could be finding some extra goodness that I have been missing out on! .. but I have honestly never thought to actually do it. That is definately changing now..
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Good tip about getting the foundation out of a glass bottle! I've been wondering how to get the leftovers out of a bottle I have!
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Ikr missQT I purposely saved them & knew I was doing it for something but my brain wstn clicking but dang about the foundation all over my carpet grrr
Kimrose
1419 posts
So this is a real thing!  I have been missing out on so much product all these years.  Thanks Trudi and the rest of you ladies, I will be doing this from now on.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Crazy how much you realise you're throwing out hey!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Yes always! I don't count it as an empty for my empties bag unless it's completely and totally used up.
Toni-Lee
503 posts
Always have and I always will hehe.
Emily-jane
314 posts
Yes learnt to cut tubes open from my mum at an early age.
beautygramnz
19 posts
I'm a student at University so I can't afford to waste good product! I recently cut my foundation tube down which got a bit messy so I just stuck my finger in, applied it to my face and then buffed it in with a brush! #studentlife
severest
44 posts
Another trick to getting the last out of a bottle is a frozen coke straw!! Use these to get the last of my EL Double Wear and Nars Sheer Glow!
MissQT
1547 posts
Yes I've done that before too severest! The flat spatula like end it good at scooping product.
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh my lord, that straw tip is GENIUS. thanks!

now to find one without needing to buy a frozen coke.....
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Haha I also though, how do I get one without buying the frozen coke lol. 
piag
10 posts
Yes, I have to admit I always cut the tube open to get the last little bit of everything I use. It's  amazing how much is left, once you cut that tube open. Sometimes, there's another two weeks worth of product left in the tube. 
MrsO
196 posts
Yes, cut the tube in half and fit top over the cut bit. Have always done it, just like to get my money's worth I suppose.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
So recently I ran out of my favorite foundation, I cried because it's not an easy buy here in NZ. Although it isn't a tube that I could cut open managed to get the lid off and get enough foundation from the bottle to last me 2 weeks. I did have to get in there with a makeup brush to scoop it out but I was soooo happy. So yes I will continue to get the last bit of every product I use if I can lol.
MissQT
1547 posts
I cracked open my Loreal moisturiser and I've been using it for a month and I reckon there's still another two weeks still too.
triffid
151 posts
I always do this.I rinse the shampoo bottle for the last bit too.I hate a package that doesnt let me get to the very end of it to use it all
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Yes I do this all the time! Used to feel really cheap and stingy but now it's basically habitual. Especially if it's a really expensive face cream or something like that.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!