Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Cruelty free brands

42 posts, 19 members
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
I was just curious as to how big an influence it is on most people that their makeup and skincare be cruelty free? Or whether it's a nice bonus that they like the stuff and it's not tested on animals.
I'm getting a little bit annoyed at all the brands I have to cross off my wish list because I keep finding them on the sneaky animal testers lists.
I do still have some products made by companies who do, but I obviously won't buy them again once they're gone.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I like it when I find the cruelty free items. If you search in the top right hand box and write cruelty free a heaps of info comes up that you may like to read
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Thanks, I've got a few links that help to work out which are and aren't - just tonight I learnt that Stila do and I'm so sad I've been lusting over their products for ages
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Oh I have stila in the light pallet, it's amazing, I'm sure I've done a review. I've tried their foundation samples as well and they make your skin feel so soft
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I just look at the more natural products or those that are ethical. Some products still use bees wax or other bee products and while some may think it is ok there are others that wont use them because of bees being classed like animals. See if there is a vegetarian or vegan certification that they could use.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I didn't know that ragingfrog thanks 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Farmers wife I read it a while back, I think I was looking at lipsticks at the time and they mentioned about the bee aspect. I never even considered it before then. Then I started to wonder on the bee venom extraction process, did they kill the bees?
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
There was something on TV the other night about that actually. Apparently the bees can sting and release the venom, they don't die cause they don't loose the stinger bit. From memory and I could be wrong they sting in a glass or that's what they demoed it as. Bees were safe and alive
SandieNZ
424 posts
I really like it when I find out products are cruely-free, but I must admit it's not something I routinely check before purchasing something.  I guess it is something that I should be more aware of.
charly
456 posts
I am trying to get more into cruelty free products. I would say my collection has  a much higher percentage of cruelty free products now than it used to. But I'll still buy 'bad' brands/produc if I have a coupon to get them cheap or it's a product I particularly love/need though (like supermarket deodorant). I guess I'm seeking out cruelty free alternatives to everything.
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
I think the products I have that aren't would mostly be the household stuff, like cleaners (well not so much now I use eco store or make my own) but like dettol floor wipes live in my cupboards all the time.
I have bought things because they've been on an awesome special, then got home and realised they're a company I try and avoid and I get massive guilt for ages, it really sucks how hard it is to avoid it, with all the companies that used to be but aren't now.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Where I can I choose to buy from cruelty-free companies. I find where you need to watch out is when the parent company tests on animals. 
charly
456 posts
Body Shop is so guilty of that!

I also try to buy Ecostore where possible.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
When I first started getting back into make up like I am now, I made a huge list of cruelty free brands and others that tested on animals. Too bad they're on my old phone! Grrr
Pifithrin
1243 posts
charlyzemailz that's exactly who I had in mind! With so many smaller brands being owned by larger companies it can get very murky.
chikoboo
3402 posts
I am a huge fan of furry babies and until just recently was all on board the cruelty free train however it derailed when I found that my choices became limited and with the prospect of being a beauty blogger comparing brands and products I didn't want to limit myself as heartless as that may sound.  I really put it off for an incredible amount of time before I caved in though.   The stumble block is when companies fall under an umbrella company, i.e for instance The Body Shop that claims to be cruelty free but their parent company isn't so in turn that dollar you spend there will end up lining the fat cat who do test at the end of the day.  There is a whole host of companies that make this claim but have a parent company that do test on animals.  The only true cruelty free companies I have found are the small boutique type companies that are run independantly to the big companies, like Colourpop, LA Cosmetics, Bossy Cosmetics, Rovie,  etc..

SAFE have a great database that lists the majority of companies and states if they are cruelty free or not as well as if they are vegan.  Check it out here  
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
That's a really good point about places like the body shop (and I think urban decay is owned by the same people but say they don't test on animals either) when ultimately your money does go to the parent companies that do test. It really is a murky thing to try and go completely cruelty free, even with all the awesome sites like safe etc
And I get what you mean chikoboo, there are definitely a big range of people that you'll miss if you stick with simply cruelty free products.
Actually I keep meaning to look up dermalogica and Joyce Blok since that's what I'll be using when I go back to school
neninoir
210 posts
For 2 years now I have only purchased cruelty free, all make up, skin care, shampoo/shaving/shower ect ect, cleaning products ( but with the exception of "girlie products" ) I have changed my skin care to pretty much all NZ made ( I have placed a few iherb orders though, they have a cruelty free section which is great!) at the start it was really hard especially when a new product came out and everyone is raving about it but I am super stubborn and have stuck to my guns!

There are some really amazing brands out there, sometimes you have to pay alill extra but for me its 100% worth it! I love Skin foods, Essano, Oasis beauty, Chi Chi, Kryolan, Ben Nye, Eco store, Health basics, Trilogy, Blue earth soap & Bossy. :)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
That's awesome neninoir! Just goes to show that it can be done!
RachLouise
218 posts
I buy cruelty free brands whenever I can. I prefer them, they are my first choice. Lately I have been loving RoVie for makeup and Bossy for bushes and accessories.
RachLouise
218 posts
I buy cruelty free brands whenever I can. I prefer them, they are my first choice. Lately I have been loving RoVie for makeup and Bossy for bushes and accessories.
neninoir
210 posts
It definitely can be Pifithrin  :) It was much harder at the start but if I am say in Farmers, I completely bypass all brands that test on animals, they dont interest me at all anymore :)
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Farmers wife for bees they electrify the glass to encourage them to sting and release their venom, while better than killing the bees I do question if this is still does hurt them or not. Are the bees kept in a lab for purity purposes or are they allowed out to roam the fields for flowers and produce honey at the same time? I still haven't decided if I'm ok with bee usage at present.
As I explained to my brother one time about my preference for organic bacon and free farmed eggs, I like to think they have been running free rather than locked in a cage.
Mila
1209 posts
cruetly free is definately a bonus for me but I cant say that I honestly apply it to everything I buy. 

That was a great site thanks Chikoboo !
Seza95
175 posts
I am the same as neninoir. I have been going cruelty-free for the last 6 months and it is a hard process. Still not perfect but it is completely doable.

I am also a beauty blogger (but I don't just blog about beauty) and I am not finding it too hard to get interest even though I mainly use only cruelty-free products. I guess I would rather stay cruelty-free and hope that maybe I will gain interest just for being so niche.

Also because I have never bought from brands like MAC, Stila etc I don't actually feel like I am missing out on much as I like the products I have found.

Personally I will still support brands whose parent companies test on animals as an act to encourage that parent company to move towards ending their animal testing. However in saying that I don't actually buy much from those companies as I have found brands that are completely cruelty free that I love more. :)

Macs
5351 posts
I've only just started becoming aware of cruelty free products this year. I think theres alot of my products aren't cruelty free. I think it's good to know about.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Macs just make the effort moving forward to avoid the questionable products for more natural alternatives. eg swapping your moisturiser to essano or skinfood once your current bottle is finished, if you can afford to.

In respect of the smaller companies that didn't test and were onsold to a larger company, eg how The body shop was sold to L'oreal, you have to wonder if the new owner is following the principles of the original company or going to introduce / allow some animal testing on their products at a future date. If they go greener and stick with the principles thats good but if they go the other way they ruin a quality brand.
MrsO
196 posts
I think if you really want to make the effort to buy cruelty-free products, it is do-able. Generally, any beauty products manufactured in N.Z will be cruelty-free. In N.Z. there is no cosmetics testing on animals, although we import a huge amount of products that have been. Living Nature, Karen Murrell and Oasis brands are a few I can think of that are certified natural organic with no animal testing, Inika is an Australian company that ships to N.Z - another certified organic, cruelty-free firm. Now that this subject has been brought up, I am going to make the effort to buy local brands, knowing they are cruelty-free.
MrsO
196 posts
Yes, ragingfrog, I forgot, Essano and Skinfood are two more excellent local brands, and affordable too.
Macs
5351 posts
Your a wealth of knowledge ragingfrog. I didn't know that, especially about The Body Shop. Skinfood is quite hard to find where I'm living.  Essano on the other hand is here. I was admiring it the other day. I must give it a try.
MrsO
196 posts
Macs, I noticed that the Warehouse stocks the brands Simple, Skinfood and By Nature which are all on special at the moment, look on their website. I'm using the By Nature Serum at the moment which is really good, all natural ingredients and cruelty-free, I though it was a good price for $10.50 at Countdown, then I saw it at the Warehouse for $7.00 which is even better.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Macs I remember The body shop sale in 2006 because there was a small uproar at the time of it being sold to L'oreal. A few people did a boycot outside one of the body shop branches about this.

Macs
5351 posts
That's not good. I'm a huge fan of The Body Shop too. Many years of enjoying their products. My mums favouritd scent was there White Musk Perfume oil, of course now most of them have been discontinued. I think if they were more acessible to every day store shoppers it would help also. I mean I didn't realise how many products werent cruelty free and their the most common brands you'd find in your local chain stores and supermarkets. I only learned about it from downloading an app. 
RC
162 posts
I am not trying to disrupt the flow of conversation here, and I think that if you're weighing up two options, and one is cruelty free, that would be a selling point to me. But I don't personally shop with cruelty free brands in mind.

Im going to be the Devils advocate here, and outline the other side to the story. In a perfect world, we would never need to test on animals. But currently, there is no way around it. You cannot simply design a new product and hope that it will have no negative effect when you release it to market untested. Whilst I value those companies that make it a goal to produce cruelty free products, those products are based off formulae that are established, tried and true, and usually tested on animals to start with. 

To give an example, a group of scientists can come up with a formula for a new product: a mascara that you can apply, and won't smudge or move for three days. But can they just release it to market? No. But would you want to buy it? Yes. What if it was a hair growth formula that could replace the natural hair of those who have lost their hair to chemo? Is that a good thing? But can they release it without animal testing?

Nobody but a psychopath actually likes animal cruelty. But as long as their is a market for beauty products, and medicines, there will be animal testing, until we can come up with an alternate solution. 

ragingfrog
1289 posts
RC you are correct in that lots of current drugs that are available would not have been made if not for animal testing. With drug resistance growing on some infections, it may end up being a moot point. While I'm not going to stop the chance that medication may help someone walk again and lessen the effects of dementia, I can however vote with my feet and dollars over cosmetics and skin care. They can do a lot with human tissue grown in the laboratory these days so they don't really need to test on animals.
Some companies have completely stopped animal testing, others have changed how they do it eg they don't test the full cosmetic, they test the ingredients. What they do is take all the study notes and apply them to a later product and reduce the animal testing as a whole. Also animal testing doesn't always work, I was living in London and they regularly have requests for medical guinea pigs for drug trials. On this drug the animals passed ok with no issues, the human guinea pigs had major reactions to the drug with it nearly killing a one of them.
RC
162 posts
You raise a really good point ragingfrog, and I do sincerely hope that our technology will develop to the point where human tissue testing is sufficient enough, and economically viable, to be used in place of any live testing, human or animal.

And in the meantime, make conscious, well informed decisions that meet your moral requirements as a consumer. That's one thing I love about BR, topics like these can bring up new product suggestions and website to help you make the best choice for you. 

(I'm using the royal you there, not referring to anyone specifically) :)
Lutece
1849 posts
This thread is very interesting as I am still learning what is cruelty free, what is natural etc etc, Chikoboo explains it perfectly, I always learn a thing or 2 from her :)
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
As hypocritical as it sounds, I feel less guilt about drug development needing to be tested on animals to a degree (even though a lot of it is pointless anyway) when the drugs can potentially help so many people in whatever way than I do about using cosmetics tested on them just so I can feel pretty if you know what I mean? (Totally not trying to offend anyone with the way I'm putting it, absolutely rubbish at stringing words together)
In most of our life we eat organic/free range, use homeopathy, and use mostly natural homemade cleaners (apart from a few lazy buys lately)
So far my makeup stash is pretty much products that are small, cruelty free companies, it just got me thinking last night about whether I'm going for them purposely or just cos I like them.
trudijoy
8375 posts
not something i actively look for myself but this thread is interesting. . .

the point about the difference between animal testing and animal cruelty is also interesting.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Aww Lutece you are too sweet *blushes* =)
1139 posts
We always learn a thing or too from you, Lutece! I absolutely love your Instagram as I'm sure you know ;)
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Cruelty free is important to me and I used to try to only use cruelty free but now I use a mix of both. I'm not proud of it but I console myself by being informed about what is and isn't cruelty free and by regularly donating to animal welfare organisations as well as rescuing animals where I can. Some friends and I rescued an emaciated horse earlier this year and that is something I'll never, ever forget. 

I Just wish that with today's technology they would find ways around testing on animals. It's barbaric and I hate that animals don't have the same rights as people. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!