Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Changing perspectives on beauty etc

11 posts, 7 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
its 2019 now, and the world is making long overdue strides in natural beauty, body positivity, celebrating different types of beauty etc. I’m so here for it. 

My question is.., has the increased message to ‘love yourself the way you are’ changed the way you a) view yourself and b) run your beauty regime?

i have finally mastered my tendency to beat myself up over not being skinny or pretty. I’m letting my hair grow out grey, I wear the damn bikini, and I am who I am.

But I still love bright eyeliner, lipstick and nail polish, mascara, fake tan and polishing my face with makeup. I still use a photo editor to colour correct and remove the odd pimple.

i think it’s a balance - but the worlds definitely turned in a healthier direction on the whole
tabucutie
1811 posts
Such an interesting and valid topic. As weird as this sounds I feel like I love myself now more than ever before. I am bigger and have been most of my life but it seems there is much more emphasis on embracing all sizes. I also watch a few fashion bloggers, a few smaller than myself, the others bigger than myself and I admire their confidence and watching them on their own journey of self acceptance. I feel that has helped me on my own journey to accepting myself. Don't get me wrong I still want to improve my appearance size wise but now it's more of a being healthier aim instead of a skinny aim.

In terms of beauty, the only big difference I have noticed in my routine apart from the addition of steps (i started with 3!) is the type of products I go for. I really care about cruelty free brands and products so that is my first priority when searching anything beauty related.
Macs
5351 posts
 It’s a good topic. Yeah I was on a healthy spin last year . But this year I think I fell off the heathy wagon after I quit my last job . Picked up some unhealthy habits along the way . Yeah self acceptance has been on going battle . Self love has been a hard road for me . I try my best to remain positive . But often find myself going back to old ways. Instead of loosing weight I aim to be healthier in my eating and thinking . 

My beauty regime has grown thanks to BR. I have a full skincare regime and I full make up daily . Unless I’m at home it’s bare face messy bun . Im teaching my daughter skincare . She has a growing perfume collection like me lol . 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I went through a stage where I hated myself. Didn't seem to matter what clothes I wore, or what skincare or makeup I used. 

I started on a new health journey. Before I started it, I was unhealthy, overweight, getting lots of migraines, had anxiety and insomnia etc. 

Since I've been looking after myself more, I have lost 15.3 kgs, which has made me feel better about myself, more confident. I started a new job this year too which has helped. 

I've got back into looking after my skin, found a skincare that I love and makeup that works, so I'm in a better place than I was.

Sorry for the winded post oops.

Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Double post oops.

AboutFace
413 posts
No one is perfect no matter how much we try to change our imperfections or cover up. We are all different and the world would be a boring place if we were the same. We need to embrace are uniqueness and celebrate being IMPERFECTLY PERFECT! 

Slick on your favourite lippy, wear that nail polish, colour your hair etc and rock it ladies :-)  Be your beautifully imperfectly perfect selves!!

trudijoy
8375 posts
That wasn’t the point of this aboutface...I mean, you’re not wrong. But I wasn’t talking about perfection v imperfection and I def don’t need permission to do what makes me feel good. Hair dye will kill me so I’ll avoid that one though. 

The point was that the world is happier to embrace natural beauty so has that had an impact on your own perspective or regime
AboutFace
413 posts
Nothing has changed for me really in that respect although I do use more moisturiser than I used to. Got to accept that those lines won't disappear lol. 
kirstyj
1732 posts
Totally agree that it is a balance. 

I don’t think my perspective has really changed about this - somehow I’ve always had a bit of a balance in this area (although totally not perfect). I have always looked at makeup etc as a enhancing what I already have compared to following trends, so I haven’t gotten sucked in as much to now change in the current makeup climate. Eg I remember self tan always being a big thing for school balls etc when I was much younger and I never got into it as I know it wouldn’t suit my pale pale skin. However for some people I know that for them just enhances their skintone and makes them feel like the best version of themself. 

In short (TL;DR version) - I’m super glad that we have made a turn for this so that their can be a bit more diversity accepted in the beauty world.
Sophia
203 posts
For some reason we seem to care a lot about oddities and imperfections in ourselves that we instantly forgive or accept in others. We wouldn't have any friends if we were as nasty to others as we are to ourselves sometimes.

I don't know why. But we should stop. 

maybe we should start posting pics of our morning chickenhead hair on the photowall so we can have a laugh at our bodies in a light hearted way. 

I think the culture of Beauty doesn't help sometimes. You can go from enjoying makeup and smoothing your appearance to falling into a habit of thinking that No Makeup Me is not allowed to be seen in public.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Lol that's something I could get on board with taking realistic "I woke up like this" hair

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!