Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Calling all at-home blondies, or hairdressers

33 posts, 12 members
First Lady
957 posts
So my at-home challenge is erm, challenging. 

I'm now halfway to blonde ombre.  Or well and truly in hair hell, depending on if you're a half full or half empty kind of girl.

Do I keep going?  My hair feels good, in spite of 3 lightenings in 2 days.  1 x 45mins, 1 x 50mins and 1 x 70 mins.

Am I destined to never be 'nice Brad Pitt' blonde?

Blog and photos here

pintsize
1072 posts
Oooh erm well... it is entirely up to you but when I bleached my hair from dark (black) to blonde I went through several stages of bleh to get where I wanted to be.

I used bold colours to hide what was underneath, I had always had the intention of going bright but it really did help 'mask' the awkward inbetween 'oranges' etc.

Keep hydrating/nourishing your hair as best you can and after a few days go again... maybe switch the products you are using to a lightener that will get you closer to the results you are after.

I can't wait to see pics of the end result
Best of luck
shazatron101
5112 posts
When I redo the 'corn hair, I only do it once cos my hair goes gross and stringy - so I'm pretty amazed you've done it three times! What kind of magic are you using to have no damage!? Lol. Maybe a toner would help? I have never used one so I wouldn't know what you would even look for. You could try another lot but of bleach I guess to see if it would help but if you've already done 3 lots I don't know if it would. 

Good luck! I hope someone who is more professhhh than I can help haha ;-) 
First Lady
957 posts
I know, how is my hair not falling out?!! 

I have a truck load of conditioner on, under some glad wrap.  It's just so bright haha, like that horrible bleached hair of the 90s grunge.  Ooo maybe I could go grunge.

See I was trying for a more natural (?!) look, but brights are sounding appealing.  The burgandy looks nice, although surely that'll fade back to orange.

Needless to say, I am accessorising with hats!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Mmmm conditioner >:D You could always chuck the color you wanted through and see what would happen as well, theres no harm in trying, and who knows, maybe the dye would take! and if not, well, then you can go over it with brights and be all "... yes.... that is the look I was going for the whole time..." ;-) hahaha
trudijoy
8375 posts
nat when i had my balayage done and it decided to have a go at being orange i switched to John Frieda blonde colour correcting conditioner (they do a shampoo too) and Lush marilyn. That sorted it out.

I've since been told blue shampoo is even better than purple to take orange out of hair?
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I have no advice but good luck! You're so brave lol. I've only ever attempted this once at home going from black to blonde and it went and stayed orange after three dyes and a lightning kit. I ended up re dying it dark haha
MareeB
5239 posts
I have no advice either, I went white naturally. Good luck though, it sounds like a mission!
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I don't find bleaching my hair ever gets the results I want I use a purple shampoo and toner to get more the blonde I want.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I don't find bleaching my hair ever gets the results I want I use a purple shampoo and toner to get more the blonde I want.
idomakeupnz
150 posts
depending on the severity of the orange you could do a bleach bath to get it another level lighter (: a bleach bath is 1 part bleach powder + 1-2 parts developer + equal amount of shampoo of your choice. Just apply it all over and cover with gladwrap, leave it on for about 15 mins or longer if you want.
If your hair is still really brassy I would just go for it and do another bleach, you said your hair feels fine so there should be no harm in doing it. After another bleach just use a toner and see what happens, if need be you can do a couple of bleach baths over the following days.
First Lady
957 posts
idomakeup - I'm going to go for it again tomorrow!  If it's not non-yellow/ginger within an hour, I'm going to accept the head of hair I was dealt...

I have my hair in cling film with some Aussie 3 min miracle (which will be 120 min miracle soon...) just in case it's secretly damaged haha.

My mum is coming over to do it so it's evenly applied (although if she gets carried away again, my ombre will essentially be regrowth...)

I don't know how people do their hair at home, the stress! 

xx
shazatron101
5112 posts
Lots of mirros and bleach flying everywhere is usually how I do it :P and lol 120 minute miracle ahhahaha thats great. Good luck to you and the mummy!
idomakeupnz
150 posts
Good luck! :D That Aussie 3 Min Miracle is wonderful! If you have any argan oil, I highly recommend putting some of that in - life saver!
I hope there will be pics up on the photowall, I want to see how it all turns out :D
Ringy
825 posts
When I had a bad balayage job done and my hair ended up fried and ginger , it was snapping off on my hands - I went to this posh as place to get it fixed as much as it could be. I had in the week before put every treatment possible in my hair to condition it and when I got to the hairdressers they used one of those striping shampoos first to remove any product buildup. They said to leave the treatments for after otherwise it can give an uneven, patchy result as well as chemical reactions. This was a salon that did all the major newsreaders hair in Melbourne and I paid over $600 for this bit of information (and my hair being fixed ) so just be careful what you put in before a dye job. Prior to being able to even pay that for a fixer up hair job, back in the diy days I'd use two packets of loreal preference in very light pearl blonde to give better coverage and who didn't love heather lockear's hair back then?
First Lady
957 posts
Ok...we have blonde.  Very, very bright blonde. (Queenie laughed, it's that bright)

So I guess we're now on to toning, and potentially trying to darken up the roots / top third of the blonde, because my mummy just keeps going higher and higher with the bleach!!

pintsize
1072 posts
That's fantastic progress :D
What did you end up doing to get it bright blonde? and importantly how is your hair feeling after?

xx
MissQT
1547 posts
What a trooper Nat! That's awesome news, hope your hair isn't feeling too dry.
First Lady
957 posts
Haha trooper, or stubborn?! My at-home restyle challenge has now become 'I must go blonde at home'

I used the Schwarzkopf Nordic Blonde L1++, after an hour it was visibly less ginge, so I went another 10 minutes then washed it off (seriously, how do I have hair left on my head?!)

I have some toner in now, so fingers crossed it's toned down...I don't know if I'm brave enough to put my haggard but hilarious pic on the photowall.  Seriously The Mummy really missed the point of ombre.  I look like I have spaniel ears!

And my hair feels ok, I took Idomakeup's advice and slathered in some Argan oil last night, so maybe that help.  Or I have hair that would survive nuclear fall out.

xox
shazatron101
5112 posts
It's a challenge after all, post the pics >:D I'm glad its not feeling too damaged. I hope the toner helps!! 
MareeB
5239 posts
Oh dear Nat. I'd love to see some pics too ? I'm sure it looks fine !
MissQT
1547 posts
well I gotta give it to you Nat for not giving up by now! I'll be waiting for the photos too :)
idomakeupnz
150 posts
Oh yay! That's fantastic! :D I might have to pick me up some of that nordic blonde.... currently I am half blonde and half yellow haha.
I hope your hair isn't feeling too bad Nat! (: xx
Rezee
1964 posts
The nordic blonde works so well for being an at home product. I used to use it when I went blonde as a teen. It did make my hair snap after a while though, I used to use a pantene hair mask but I think anything that really conditions is good. I can't wait to see pics!
MissQT
1547 posts
Congrats Nat on getting past the colouring stage! Thank god you managed to fix the orange and your hair looks great! Good luck for the cut and can't wait to see the final results :)
Ringy
825 posts
It looks good. I may be a tad inspired to go a little lighter. But probably not DIY for me.
First Lady
957 posts
Thanks MissQT and Ringy!

I'm so glad I'm not orange, it made me rather grumpy, and then I woke up this morning, all 'ooo look at ma hair'!

Yeah Ringy, after this challenge, I think I'll be maintaining this at the salon!

I didn't get to cut yesterday afterall, so I'm hoping for early next week...my mum has been watching YouTube tutorials and what started off as 'I'm only taking a cm off I'm too scared' has becoming 'wow you can do bobs at home'.

Once again.  #prayfornat 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hair looks good!! And I am loling, so so hard, at your mums line "you can do bobs!" hahahahahaha omg. Best mum ever lol
mallomiss
569 posts
Looks great Nat! 

I've enjoyed following your progress. 

I'm feeling I need to go blonde again.. I miss it so much! 
pintsize
1072 posts
Your mum sounds hilarious :D
I hope your hair has survived and really looking forward to seeing the end result

Well done for not giving up
MissQT
1547 posts
Your hair looks great Nat! Can't believe you did that at home (and great job mummy).
Rezee
1964 posts
I love it too. Its crazy to think of how much it cost. I always think diy at home will be cheaper but I wonder if this worked out to be a better deal? Did you ever get prices from salons for how much it would cost?
I'm such a cheapskate lol.
First Lady
957 posts
Haha when I set out to do it I figured, $40 for Colour B4, $50 for the Crea Clip combo and $15 for a lightener to ombre the ends.

So adding on another $65 for lightener and a colour similar to my natural colour to put over the top third (seriously my mummy ombred me to 3inches of my roots, I had to say...mother this is not ombre, this is regrowth)

My local hairdresser said it would have been at least 2 salon trips to get the blonde and they would have recommended a two week wait between sessions.  (her face when I told her I'd bleached 3 times in two days was a picture!)  So probably around $250-300 for the stripping, restyle and colour/lightening.

We're going to make a bit of a thing out of crew challenges, so if you have any ideas, or things you want us to try, let us know!  I'm even going to be dabbling into the world of Moon Cups apparently!

xox

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!