Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Buzzfeed comparing Aussie prices to US prices

38 posts, 19 members
alikat
423 posts
I'm calling a bit of BS on this one. It might be okay for Australian beauty addicts... but what about NZ ones? Poor us paying island tax :(

MAC eyeshadows, USD$16 - NZD$38. Ditto Lipsticks. And don't get me started about the price of an empty pro palette over here. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I saw that, and I totally agree. I think the price gouging is especially bad for MAC, and cheaper brands like Revlon and L'Oreal, with their $40+ foundations here.
alikat
423 posts
I'm tempted to write my own version.

Want Tarte in NZ? Good luck.
Want MAC in NZ? Mortgage
Want Loreal in NZ? Bye credit card

Maybe the BR Fairies could write their own version?
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Eep don't even get me started on this.. especially with the dollar what it is at the moment (cringe). Lets face it, if prices were that similar between NZ and USA, NZpost probably would not have created youshop. I know its mostly for places that dont ship here, or for stuff that isnt available here, but we can get Elf and Mac here, but yet i use youshop because it works out cheaper. So bizarre!  
Macs
5351 posts
We're doomed! I haven't tried doing overseas hauls yet.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I think a good way to 'dip your toe in' with overseas hauls is maybe doing your first one with someone else.. thats how i started. But you have been warned, its a slippery slope from there because its sales left, right and centre
alikat
423 posts
I go to the USA every other year, and I nearly get divorced in Sephora and "girls coffee missions" are actually not really "shopping trips" as such, but more precisely planned missions to MAC stores without husbands/nephews in tow. I found a photo on my phone of my bed when I came from home from my last month trip there a year ago. The bed was nearly covered with makeup.

At the moment, the dollar is bad, so that kind of helps. I've never used YouShop. I have my own version of that called Schmoo. But I end up paying 8% California Sales Tax. Small price to pay I guess. But I paid USD$4 for a Maybelline Mascara on Amazon.com the other week. I had a coupon for $1 off, which made it amazing. 
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
A bed covered in makeup.. well that is the stuff dreams are made out of! Going to Sephora is on my bucketlist for sure, i would love to get colour matched to like.. everything! So tricky trying to find your shade online 
alikat
423 posts
I haven't been colour matched, but I'm had been using a foundation that was in their database and it has never put me wrong!

Think I shall upload a photo of my USA haul to the beauty wall - OF COURSE!
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Yes upload a photo! Let me live vicariously through you!! Sephora is awesome, even when i was trying to find the right Anastasia brow wiz colour, their little swatch colour boxes gavea  wee description of the colour which was so helpful
Macs
5351 posts
Just saw your haul and it's an impressive one.
alikat
423 posts
I should add 'Hauling' to my list of talents!
kirstyj
1732 posts
If only I could write "hauling" as a talent on my CV alikatnz! Although it must show loyalty to my job as I need them to keep giving me money to buy makeup with :P
astylecollector
204 posts
A NZ version of this would look so much worse because of how ridiculous the mark up is over here.

This article helped me out though since I'm going to Aus in less than 2 weeks. I've never been (actually haven't travelled internationally in YEARS. Too long) so I'm not familiar with the prices over there.

On a sidenote, how cheap is MAC in Duty Free? It's $40 for a MAC lipstick over here, that article says it is $36 in AUS but how much is it roughly at DF then? If anyone knows, please tell me :)
alikat
423 posts
Not sure about lipsticks. You used to be able to look at duty free prices online, however, JR Duty Free have pulled the pages for some reason I can't read on my iphone.

I paid $51 for a Mac Mineralise Skin Finish duty free.
Jesse
745 posts
From memory (I could be wrong!) lippies were $32
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I think I just had a brain aneurysm. Why does everything have to be like double the price here??? And it's not just with makeup literally everything is so expensive. #Rant
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
New release video games are $60 in the US and my brother paid $120 for a game a couple of Christmases ago. We're being so ripped off.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Welcome to island tax. If only some places would open places here or take our credit cards and ship directly here. NZ Post charge a fortune on youshop and heaven forbid you want to return it from here. I looked at returning a jacket I bought online as it didn't fit right, nearly twice the amount of what I paid for the whole order to ship it back. Gave the jacket to my brother's friend instead. Pretty much anything consumable get's a price wack.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I seriously don't know how they get some of their prices. When I was in the US I converted everything back to NZ and it was usually way under what products are here.
MissQT
1547 posts
I can't wait till I can go to U.S. And can buy all the make up my eyes can see! I do like supporting NZ brands too, but I cringe when I know I can get it cheaper somewhere else :(
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Hmm I really don't know how true this article is, haha. Some prices aren't too dissimilar to be honest, like NARS and a few other brands are pretty similar in price in AUD/NZD as they are in the US (when converted), but most brands are no where near the same price.

As Jesse pointed out yesterday, it's a good excuse to be able to go and explore your local counters and actually shop locally though, tehe!

Also, another little side note, it's so annoying when NZ/Aus YouTubers have their Colorpop hauls, or whatever other cheap brand, and they're like "$5 for a lippy, you just can't go wrong", and I'm like no but they're not really $5 NZD, are they?! Lol. Rant of the day
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Amount of population may have something to do with it. If stock is not turned over fast enough on a lower profit they raise the price a little to make some more money on it, economies of scale and things like that. Not buying so much stock equals less buying power by suppliers to get a lower price. Economics 101.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Yeah Sarahbeautynzgood point! I mean with the conversion rate at the moment, 5 USD is like 7.50 NZD, which means their blushes and highlighters are more like $12, still really affordable, but not as much of a bargain as you first think it is
chikoboo
3402 posts
Don't get me started on exchange rates! grr is all I can say lol

SarahbeautyNZ yes! it annoys me too when people don't emphasis that it is a certain price in the currency they brought it in, I always try and write my blog or do a haul video where I state $5 US per lippy or give what it was in NZ. 
alikat
423 posts
I'm used to working in USD because I shop in USD, my small business works in USD. So being paid for selling a photo at the moment is amazing! I will always specify if I bought something in USD (which is pretty much everything I buy makeup wise, bar some drugstore stuff I use more regularly) 

Because paying USD$100 for a cool neutrals palette from MAC may sound like a good deal, until you try and buy one in NZ.
alikat
423 posts
TraineeMUA - Don't get me started on video games. I was leading the revolt against the prices EA was charging for the Sims 4 first stuff pack. That was more than a normal expansion pack! Now I only buy on special. I'm no longer that girl who gets the games on release day. I'm happy to wait. Lets see if my husband can do the same for Fallout 4. Need to buy him a PS4 first though.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I am scared to ask.. But how much is a mac eyeshadow palette in New Zealand? 
alikat
423 posts
I remember asking at a counter last year, and the pre-made MAC Neutral palettes were $250 each. I see in the USA, they've dropped to USD$85 since I bought mine (Which I kind of regret as I hardly use it. Wonder if I should rehome it)
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Wow, that's a lot of money, epp! But I have to admit, I think eye shadows are something worth investing in because they do last awhile! Yeah, I think if your not using something enough, rehoming it is a good idea. You'll get some money back, and someone else will be able to enjoy it :D
ragingfrog
1289 posts
AlikatNZ, Very nice picture you look very professional in it. loving the red lippy and glasses look.
alikat
423 posts
awww thanks RagingFrog. Time I got new frames though. I'd wear contacts more often if I wasn't looking at a monitor all day, every day. And I love red lipstick far too much :)
I actually asked for them to do a drugstore one for New Zealand. Not even high end or luxury.

Seriously, how on earth can anyone justify buying a foundation for $35+ when another $20 can get you something from Benefit or a little more can get you one from a luxury brand?
-Bex-
611 posts
Just off topic a bit here but Alikat.. Love your new profile pic
LinF
63 posts
Alikat, stupid question, can't you buy online choosing to pay in NZ$?  Take a look at the product that I buy, e.g. my skincare is from Monsia, if I want to buy in NZ$ I would go to monsiaskincare.com/nz an it shows NZ$ makes life really easy because I can buy in £ and free shipping!
Interested to hear your thoughts ladies.
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I went to pick up a 'drugstore' Loreal foundation yesterday and it was $40. Ugh. However, we are very lucky with many other things - I have a customer who comes into work to collect his scripts.. he has recently moved to NZ from the US and he tells me what he would usually pay in the US for his script items. He pays $5 per item in NZ, and in the US he would pay up to $500 for a single item. That is once a fortnight, with health insurance, for basic medication that keeps him alive! I try and remember this whenever I stand in Farmers crying about the Loreal prices. 
alikat
423 posts
Linf: Not all websites give you the option of paying in NZD. Most don't actually. I notice even iHerb doesn't show me NZD anymore. chelseaadelaide - I know! My sister works in a hospital in Newport Beach. The stories she tells. OMG. That said though, I bought her a Bobbi Brown product that she couldn't get over there! Not released into their market, but she'd seen it on a British blog. It hurt to pay for it although I'd hoarded up $40 of Farmers rewards vouchers and got another $20 from points from my power company and another $20 in points from my credit card but at least Farmers St Lukes has a Bobbi Brown counter! And she can't get the Rimmel 25 hour foundation over there either for me.  
Julieal
915 posts
I have bought a few things via ebay but be careful to check out postage costs etc.We definately pay far too much here.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!