Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Buying Here VS In The States

20 posts, 10 members
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I've been looking at a few things from Urban Decay, Two Faced and some more drugstore type products like Wet'n'Wild. Have people found it cheaper to buy here or is better to wait till you're in the States to get it?
trudijoy
8375 posts
i've heard things are loads cheaper in the states, following to see the response from the forum!
Toni-Lee
503 posts
When I went to Las Vegas and L.A everything was way cheaper, so I would recommend purchasing while your there.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Usually heaps cheaper, especially drug store brands. However, you might want to check out prices here at Mecca Maxima and compare them to a US website such as Ulta. I bought a Too Faced palette from Sephora when I was in the States in January. When I got to home I checked the price at Mecca and with the exchange rate I had only saved about $5. So it depends how much room you've got in your luggage really. Of course the variety available in the States is vast so I tend to go for stuff I can't get here easily. Ulta is a great place to shop as it has high end and drug store all under one roof. 
MareeB
5239 posts
Mmm I've always dreamed of clothes shoppingin the states, just to have a much bigger variety of choices.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
And being able to find what you want straight away, Maree. I had to buy a new pair of jeans as soon as I arrived thanks to my food tour of Mexico lol. I found exactly what I wanted in the first shop I went into. Even more amazing was finding the perfect bra in Victoria's Secret. I was in and out of the store with three new bras that I'd been fitted for in under 30 minutes. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Can't waaaaaaaait
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I'm quite keen to visit Victoria Secret too. I won't be going for a while. But planning a trip within the next year, so I'm starting to review what I should wait to buy.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Two of my beauty faves are from VS! ;)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I love the VS stores in the States! I can't speak highly enough of the service and fitting I got last time. VS bras are the only ones that really work for me. I wish their shipping to NZ was cheaper. Hopefully I'll be able to visit the States more regularly in the future. It's always a fun place to visit.
MissQT
1547 posts
I've never been to the states but I do know that drug store is def cheaper. Mecca has a price lock on their prices so the only difference in price is due to exchange rate fluctuations.
MareeB
5239 posts
I'd love to visit the USA. As it is, I'm struggling to get to Sydney at the moment!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Aussie can get expensive hey Maree!  I have Brisbane on my hit list for some stage but it's not going to be cheap :/
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
From personal experience I'd say 99% of things are cheaper in US. Especially brands like loreal, revlon, covergirl etc which you'd find for probably a third of the price you pay at Farmers. For higher end things like Anastasia and Urban Decay, you probably won't see as much of a price difference but it's still a bit cheaper, especially things that only a few stores carry in NZ.

And there's the limited edition releases or special palettes (like the ABH mario palette and the too faced peach palette when it was initially selling out) that don't even make it here to NZ, so if you find it online anywhere it'll be marked up like crazy. 
Macs
5351 posts
I'd love to visit usa. I think australia is more achievable for me though. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
ABH should re-release the palette or make it part of their permanent line for everyone who missed out. I'm sure the company has gotten plenty of requests for it and I'm sure it would sell out again anyways.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
@tanny-girl, I definitely agree that some of the limited releases should be brought back, it would be a guaranteed sell out. But I suppose the fact that it's limited lets them set the price high and gives it that extra special status that makes everyone want to buy it. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Aw man I'd love to go shopping in the states! Unfortunately I have no idea on this topic but following this thread because it's an interesting one :)
MareeB
5239 posts
Me too Amy - enjoying imagining myself shopping on Rodeo Drive!!  #realhousewivesofanywhere
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I agree with Charmmy Kitty about the drug store prices. L'Oréal and Revlon are considered drug store brands in America. My American friends are astounded at the prices we pay in NZ. What we pay for brands like Revlon, they don't pay much more than that for Mac. Mac is soooo much cheaper there which is why I can't bring myself to pay NZ retail prices for it. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!