Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Brush cleaning

17 posts, 10 members
Kimrose
1416 posts
I was cleaning my make up brushes tonight and I was wondering what you all use to clean your brushes. I have heard about people using shampoo and other things to do their cleaning. I am currently using a Clinique brush cleaner which I am happy with. How about you?
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
I use baby shampoo. It works well and it's gentle. I also have this ribbed thing I bought for about $2 
you slip it on 2 fingers, run it under water, put a little shampoo on it then lightly rub your brushes over it
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I use baby shampoo for powder product brushes, and micellar water for oily product brushes (foundation, concealer, lipstick, etc.).  The Micellar cuts the cleaning time in half!  I also have one of those silicone brush cleaning pads that suction onto the basin.  Using the cleaning pad means I use less soap and rinsing brushes is also easier (its just a cheap one off AliExpress). 
Kimrose
1416 posts
I have just replaced my brushes with Real Techniques brushes and I really love them and want to look after them. I will definitely try micellar water because I use that for my skin with good results.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I use the orange Johnson's baby shampoo - it's a conditioning one. The foundation brushes I wash in cleanser first.  I use a little Japanese cleaning pottle, and when they're laid out to dry I spritz them with Mecca brush spray 
tabucutie
1811 posts
I have the ribbed makeup brush cleaner thing too. Have used shampoo, Johnson's baby wash, cleansers, hand wash, and body wash which all work for cleaning my brushes. Haven't had any issues.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Just another tip, with regards to washing and drying brushes ... When washing try not to get the ferrule (metal part) wet, this is where the glue is and water will soften the glue, causing the brush to shed bristles.  Use warm water, not hot (for the same glue softening reason).

When drying, I like to lay my brushes flat on a towel draped over a lever arch file.  The sloped angle of the file means that I can keep the handle higher than the bristles while they're drying.  This stops water from running down the bristles and into the ferrule (metal part) and stops the glue from being softened.  No one wants bristle fallout. 
Kimrose
1416 posts
It seems like you can use a lot of different products with good results.  Maybe I wont bother purchasing an actual brush cleaner again.
Kimrose
1416 posts
Silvene, great tips! Thank you, all good advice.
AboutFace
412 posts
I use the Thin Lizzy brush cleaner with a gentle liquid soap. It's really good spins most of the water out and they dry a lot quicker. It has different attachments according to the size of your brush. I bought it when it was on special.
tabucutie
1811 posts
I can get a bit budget so didn't want to spend money on a special cleaner. Haven't missed out either I don't think.
Kimrose
1416 posts
Tabucutie, it seems you don't need to get all spendy on flash stuff for your brushes, that makes me super happy.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I use a cleanser or gentle shampoo, avoiding getting the handle wet. I've tried actual brush cleaner and didn't find it worked any better.
ChristineHoll
152 posts
I use a bar of Protex antibacterial soap ($1) and one of those rubbery brush cleaning pads ($10). Works really well and doesn't take long either.
Tattooprincess
68 posts
I use a Real Techniques Liquid brush cleaner, and a silicone textured pad, the pad I got from Ali express for maybe $2 incl postage - probably one of the only beauty products I'd risk buying from there!). I like the RT liquid , although I do find sometimes, my powder brush especially, needs cleaning 2-3 times. I do my best to only wet the brush6, not the handle or metal piece. I usually lay mine flat in a container and put them outside in the sun for an hour or two to help dry them

im terrible at washing my brushes, I don't do it nearly as much as I should. I haven't been wearing makeup often this year, but when I return to work soon, I will definitely make the effort to keep them clean. 
stephxo
4 posts
I have tested out regular shampoo and body wash, but it didn't reacted well on my skin when I used the brushes again. I tried Ecostore Baby Shampoo in the past and it worked well too, it kept the brushes clean. I currently use Real Techniques Brush Cleansing Gel and I love it, as the brushes texture remains soft.
Kimrose
1416 posts
This has been a great thread. Hopefully we have all picked up some new ideas to try.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!