Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Best travel products that last 5 weeks but are still travel friendly...?

19 posts, 9 members
KiwiLass
174 posts
Hello lovely BR peops, I'm planning well ahead for a holiday from mid-August, because it gives me a sense of hope to get through winter, and because leaving stuff to the last minute stresses me out.....I'm looking for any tips on the best travel products you've taken with you to hot, hot places, where make-up will melt/evaporate, and you need ultra-good skin care from the sun etc. But still want to look fan! But not take up too much room in the suitcase (because I want to shop over there too).
trudijoy
8375 posts
Must haves.... Ethique solid cleanser (I love ‘in your face’), Nivea soft lotion (perfect for hands, face and body), a face mist spray like the Mario Badescu ones, a really good leave in conditioner so you can make do with hotel toiletries, toothpaste and deodorant, and a small amount of multi purpose makeup - if you’re in the heat focus on mattifying base, bronzer, waterproof eyeliner and mascara, and a few shades of lipgloss; you’ll look put together but not risk looking all melty. Oil for your hair to help combat humidity. Oil cleanser - MAC make a travel sized one in an excellent refillable and leakproof (so far) bottle. Much of the rest you can probably pick up as you go!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Where are you going Kiwilass? I pretty much give up on makeup in super hot countries after a few days, especially if I'm travelling around and not city based. Try to use solid products wherever possible. I got a sample pack of shampoo bars and conditioners from Ethique (they're doing free shipping on those at the moment) for my last big trip. One shampoo bar and conditioner bar easily lasted me five weeks although I have short hair and pretty much gave up on washing it due to lack of shower pressure in Cuba! I also find I don't need to wash my hair as often with these anyway. A good multi-tasker, like Trilogy's Everything Balm. I second the Mario Bedascu spray - good on hot or burnt skin. Mecca Cosmetica sunscreen is lovely to use and makes a good base under makeup. I also take all those samples and deluxe minis I collect during the year. 
MareeB
5242 posts
I took Goodness Everything Balm with me to Aussie and used it for everything. It was a drippy soggy mess by the time I got home though. Too much heat. I alss took Za CC cream and only used that instead of any foundation. It worked well, I thought.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Those Ethique bars really do last for ages. I think they are doing a special on the sample packs which should have a five samples I think there's a mix of hair and skincare bars in them. The shampoo and conditioner sample bars have lasted me for weeks and I have really long hair. 

For hot, humid climates Korean skincare is a really good option since their skincare is made to tackle issues in their climate. So the products are lightweight in texture, made to protect you from the sun and tackle multiple issues. I don't know what your skin type is but a nice hydrating gel toner will last a long time, longer than facial sprays and you can pat on an extra layer if you want a bit more hydration or to plump your skin up. There are heaps of Korean ampoules and serums depending on what you want to target and plenty of emulsions feel more comfortable in a humid climate as well as lightweight spf ones. A few sheet masks would be ideal if you need so extra hydration, cooling after a long day out in the sun and help target other issues. 

I would recommend taking a good all purpose product with you like aloe vera or Oasis Rhino Repair that you can use if you get sunburned, dry skin or need to calm down hives or a bug bites, etc. They also make a really reliable sunscreen that I've never gotten burned using. 

If you are looking for ready put together kits of minis I think Andalou Naturals has these mini kits. Personally I don't think there's enough cleanser or toner in the kits to last five weeks but the moisturizers should last awhile plus there's a mask mini. I think Origins at Mecca might have some travel sets as well but I don't know for how much. 
KiwiLass
174 posts
Thanks lovlies, some really helpful suggestions. We are going to Honh Kong, London, all over France (including the South and all those wonderful beaches), and Spain.
I'd looked at those Andalou packs but didn't think they would last 5 weeks.
Has anyone with hairdresser blonde tried the Ethique bars? I'm wonderfing if they'd work on my hair.
tabucutie
1811 posts
That's exciting @KiwiLass, where are you heading off to? This is such a good thread to read. I leave for my holiday in t minus 15 days. 

I have written down all the amazing hints and have a solid list thanks. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Wow, that will be an amazing experience. That's so exciting!
Julieal
915 posts
Take evolu toner as if you are hot you can give your face a light spraywhich is really cooling and refreshing and the scent is nice too
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Ooooh wonderful! Maybe not worry too much about your skincare lasting five weeks and use it as an opportunity to try out some French pharamacy brands like Caudelie which of course will be much cheaper over there. And then of course there is Sephora.....
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I agree with Soozie take some small samples to start yourself off and then go enjoy a shopping spree while on vacay. All those French brands should be cheaper there. 
Imoshen
461 posts
A brand that I am hearing more and more these days is La Roche Posay which is made in Europe.  It's an inexpensive no nonsense brand that is reputed to use excellent, scientifically researched ingredients and they don't use fragrance (but always check ingredients because everyone reacts differently to something).

You can get it here too from Life Pharmacy, Chemist Warehouse and probably a couple of other places but it is way, way cheaper in Europe.

KiwiLass
174 posts
Tabucutie, where are you off to? Not long now, you must be super excited!
Good suggestion on the face spray.
Isn't it daft - with all my beauty product obsession (I have 2 big drawers full of stuff and a spill over box under the bathroom cabinet of product...*cough*), it actually never occurred to me to use it as a good excuse to go on a shopping spree...! (I think my mind was too full of sunny beach fantasies). You lovely ladies have given me the best legit excuse ever!
I've heard that the Sephora in Paris is awesome. Will have to check out the brands mentioned here for sure. 
My teenage daughter is using her birthday money for a big shopping spree in Hong Kong, I'm now wondering about trying beauty stuff there too.
I'm a stickler for cruelty free, so if I can't understand labels and am not sure if it's cruelty free, I just don't buy (had this issue overseas last year).
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I would avoid buying any beauty products in HK if cruelty free is a major concern as currently brands must be tested on animals to be sold on the Chinese market.

La Roche Posay was the other French pharmacy brand I was trying to think of!
tabucutie
1811 posts
I am going to Hawaii @KiwiLass. 13 sleeps away it is exciting just sorting out the last bits and pieces :)
Imoshen
461 posts
Don't forget your sunscreen!  Europe have better chemical filters than USA so you might find some half decent sunscreens over there.
trudijoy
8375 posts
SO JEALOUS OF HAWAIIIIII it was the BEST <3
tabucutie
1811 posts
I'm sure it will be great. The friend that we will be staying with over there says that it is nice and hot. I am looking forward to that warm weather. It will make a nice change from the chilly Auckland weather at the moment. 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I usually just take the basics from my cosmetics bag or use a travel palette.

If you're concerned about telling if a product is cruelty free in other languages, you could look up key terms before you go. For example, I think 'no animal testing' in French is 'non testés sur les animaux’. And they may also have the cruelty-free international logo which is the one with the rabbit.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!