Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

"Authorised" Retailers?

15 posts, 10 members
Artemis
311 posts
I don't mean to cause conflict, start witch hunts or go against the spirit of BR, I just want to discuss something thats come to my attention of late on here.

One of the rules of the forum is that we don't promote sites/businesses that are "unauthorised" distributors, and that's absolutely fair enough. However, recently I have seen several examples of people talking about various sites which I am fairly sure aren't 'authorised', and also blogs which may or may not be affiliated with unauthorised businesses.

So, how do we know who we are allowed to mention? Who is policing this, and why is it ok to talk about some 'grey-market' businesses and not others? I know sometimes it isn't clear who is authorised by a brand to sell their products, but I'm just genuinely confused who is OK and who isn't on here.

What do you all think?
Head Pixie
569 posts
Hey Artemis,

Thanks for bringing this up, as obviously supporting the NZ beauty industry is one of the aspects of BR that's really important to us, and we do our utmost to ensure posts about non-authorised sellers are removed from the forum.

Due to having 100s of posts and reviews per day on BR (and despite the fact that someone's almost always keeping an eye on things on BR - the joys of having earlybirds and night owls on the team) it isn't possible for everything to be monitored to the enth degree. We have standards that we like to uphold but given the sheer volume of content sometimes things are missed. So if you do have any concerns feel free to email [email protected] and we can look into it.

Hope that helps :) xo

Ringy
825 posts
I've got a question too- sort of - how do you even know which sites are authorised? 
Artemis
311 posts
Totally understand, Head Pixie - will contact BR directly if I have questions or concerns in future ;)

Ringy, sometimes shops will say 'Authorised Distributor of BRAND', as they get it directly from that brand. Most of the time though, i honestly have no idea!
Head Pixie
569 posts
Totally agree, it's really hard to tell with some. We've gone so far as to email and ask businesses if they're parallel importers. If we hear nothing back we tend to think they may well be, as those that are authorised distributors are often quick to reply.

My own theory (and not in any way the opinion of BR) is that if the deals are too good to be true based on anything being sold in the usual Kiwi beauty channels, then chances are they are PI, and then I avoid. Nothing makes you loyal to local distributors like working for this company :) xo
Artemis
311 posts
I've noticed interesting wording on some of those sites too, such as
"We purchase from reputable sellers and authorised distributors that have been in business for many years" So, they purchase SOME stock from authorised distributors?

Head Pixie, I'll send you a private message in a bit as I won't publicly name and shame people but would like to get your opinion on some things ;)
Macs
5351 posts
Interesting question Artemis. 
First Lady
957 posts
It's a confusing business!

My understanding is, business must state if a product is PI, at least on the website.  Like The Warehouse and 1 Day - they'll say 'parallel imported' on products it applies to (because not everything they sell is PI'd)

Then of course, you get clearance lines, which might have been picked up from someone along the official chain (often abroad) , or products that have fallen far from the official chain - and these will be old stock, old shades, old formulae.  

In my experience Authorised Retailers will say it loud and proud, unauthorised retailers will say something like, 'our reps scour the globe looking for the best deals' in their 'about us' or faqs (probably to the question, 'are your products genuine'!) 

Fab example of an amazing store whose brand list is growing is Beauty Bliss.  Me and Pixie have spoken before about how we'd rather spend a couple of dollars more on a product to support this business, the service is fantastic, the products are guaranteed and it's supporting our industy.

xox

shazatron101
5112 posts
This is a great thread, as it's good to know what's what, and not a lot of people are honest about it. I have seen a few that say they search the globe for the best deals - and now I know to be wary of them!
Emily-jane
314 posts
Great thread, thanks for that info BR ladies. I am always weay of sites that offer the "best deals from around the globe" rather pay that little bit more to have piece of mind. I totally agee about beautybliss they have such awesome customer service.
Learning something new every day
MrsRosie
214 posts
This is a great thread as I too have been rather confused about this situation, and still am to a point. Does this mainly mean if a product is not genuine? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Head Pixie
569 posts
Hey MrsRosie,

This article should hopefully answer your questions :) xo
MrsRosie
214 posts
Head Pixie you are are amazing, all makes sense now. It was a great infomative article to read, thank you xx
MissQT
1547 posts
I too have found it hard to tell. This thread has been really helpful

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!