Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Are You a Stickler for Shopping Around Sales and Getting the Best Bargains? Or Do You Go for Convenience and Pay More for Items?

22 posts, 13 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I was thinking about this recently when I was waiting for the site that sells the Ordinary at the cheapest online price to restock items that have been out of stock for ages. I really am a stickler for bargains and the cheapest prices. I knew I could get most of the items I wanted off other sites that would charge a bit more for the products plus postage, but instead I stalk the site and check it every day to see if the items that sell out within an hour have been restocked. 

Another example was when I noticed that Trilogy released a new limited edition oil and read the ingredients and was dying to get my hands on a bottle but I just didn't feel like I could give myself permission to buy it without a discount or special. Luckily for me one did come along recently at Farmers and rushed to buy some and I was so happy. 

Of course when it comes to necessities like soap, shampoo and conditioner, toothpaste, deoderant, etc. I'm not going to be repelling everyone in a five meter radius because I couldn't get $2 or $5 off toothpaste or soap. I also don't bother waiting to purchase from brands that almost never go on sale. But if there's a twice year sale on something that is a staple for me and I know about it, I definitely take note and plan for those biannual events.   

So are you a stickler for sales and/or shopping at the sites that give the best bargains even if the products you like regularly are out of stock? Or do you go for convienence and are willing to pay more for items, even if it means you have to buy on credit or laybuy?
trudijoy
8375 posts
as a povvo student i'd def shop the sales a lot harder but now that i'm on a very good wage i buy what i want regardless of cost. I'm in a fortunate position being at my age and stage but not having kids or a lot of debt, and so i enjoy my money coz I work my butt off for it and deserve nice things :D

So saying, if I find a good special i'll still stock up (i'm looking at YOU 40% off Priceline sale!!)
MareeB
5241 posts
If I see something I want I buy it, but having bought so many BBBEs, I rarely need anything.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Tannygirl are you waiting for beautylish too? I've been wanting to try the Ordinary but half the items I want are out of stock :( I'm usually patient enough to wait for bargains, especially if it's overseas anyway. But if it's something I need urgently like sunscreen then I don't mind paying full price or even more.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Yes. They've been out of stock of most of the items that I've been wanting. Usually things ship from them really quickly and I generally receive them in about a week and a half or almost two weeks but the last two orders took like almost a month. Probably because of the storms in the US. 
MissQT
1547 posts
yes I'm with you on that one tannygirl. I love a good sale and often just buy things because they are on sale. I will only buy something full price if I really want it, if I desperately need it (e.g run out of a certain product) or if I know it's a product that will never come on sale (hello to everything in Mecca). But because I buy a lot of things in sale I tend to stock up on a lot of back up products so I hardly get into the situation where I've run out of something.
Macs
5351 posts
I been talking myself out the Jefree star sale on Beautylish. Their on sale . I've had a cart full of them. I changed my mind only because I don't think I'd wear those colours. So tempted to just buy because of the sale. But not going to do it.  I still haven't tried jefree ya lipsticks yet.
tannygirl
3392 posts
  I've actually bought less stuff this year than last. I've had to talk myself out of so many sales. I have a rule now that with the exception of the occasional item, if I don't see myself using it regularly within the next few months, unless it's a rare sale of a staple item that I'm stocking up on then I don't purchase it. Especially when there's a number of other things that I need. 
   Plus I'm trying to pan off some of the stuff that I've had for awhile. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I regularly shop my stash to talk myself out of things. Plus I keep a tidy list of everything that I have unopened as backups waiting to get used and the expiry dates. It's much easier for me to talk myself out of buy more body oils, lotions and potions when I know how many of each I have that needs to be used up by such and such date or it majority of the goodness of the product that I paid for won't be there when I get around to using it. Although I have to admit I'm not fussy on expiry dates when it comes to cleansers and body care products.
siouxsannah
261 posts
Sometimes I shop sales and buy something I have been thinking about trying so I lose less money if I don't end up liking it. If it is something I really, really want and I don't want to wait, then I will just buy it full price.
I made my first order from Beautylish last night because they had some stuff on sale that I wanted. I bought a Jeffree Star highlighter one of his lipsticks which were both on sale. I also bought a retinoid from The Ordinary because I really want to try it. I have some pigmentation on my face that I hope it will help with. The total came to enough to get free shipping, and they say that my order has shipped already. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I love a bargain but since Mecca Maxima opened in Wellington I just go for convenience. Their prices aren't much more than buying from overseas and no waiting or the possibility of things going missing in the post. I don't think they ever hold sales though. And Lush only have a sale once a year so it's either pay the full price or risk missing out on any limited editions. 

Countdowns beauty sale t his week I see pretty awesome but I really don't need anything right now. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
Yes, unfortunately Lush is one of those places that only goes on sale once a year. I shop from them whenever I have a trip to Northlands Mall.
Macs
5351 posts
I wish lush had sales when lines are ending . I normally buy at the end of the year. I'm house hunting again hope to find a house with a bath.
Julieal
915 posts
If I want something that is on the expensive side I google for best price otherwise buy when required.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I do the same. I have my go to sites that have cheaper prices on most of what I consistently buy and I do a lot of orders from those sites.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
A bit of both. If it's not much different I go convenience, or if it is something I really want now. Otherwise I go price.

And between different brands I go quality over either price or convenience.
Ringy
825 posts
haha this just described my life - I hate buying something knowing I've seen it on sale for way cheaper - if they can discount it that much then I feel the retail price must have a huge markup.  But it's spilled over into everything - I've been wanting a carpet shampooer since January and saw the one I wanted for $299 -over half price saving -on one of those 10am warehouse online specials but I procrastinated and it sold out in a few minutes - so now I've been waiting months for a similar special and only just last week picked one up for $314 - which was as close to the 'golden' price I could get. It was hard work - I emailed the company to check if they post to New Zealand, checked the exchange rate, checked if still free post if sent over here - procrastinated a bit more- then purchased. Bissell Australia has an outlet shop that posts here for free - and you can contact the New Zealand number for all your questions. Not beauty related but this problem crosses into every purchase I make!
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I do the same with other things too Ringy. Not just beauty stuff but clothes on the rare occassions I do buy them and other stuff like electronics too. 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Depends where and when, and how much I want the item. I did some purchasing tonight but before I put things through I did a check for any voucher codes in addition to the sale items I had gotten, a free shipping and 5% off on 2 different sites. Over all it was probably a drop in the bucket to how much I was spending. One site I needed to order from and the other I only try to get mainly sale items, now lets hope customs doesn't ping me.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Oh btw for those waiting on Beautylish to restock the Ordinary. I just got this e-mail today saying that they are moving their store from San Fran to Dallas, Texas which means now you will have to pay an 8.25% state and local sales tax on your purchases. Which means if you were aiming to spend at least 35USD in order to get free shipping you would have to pay at least 4NZD more on your order in taxes.
alikat
423 posts
That beautylish news doesn't sound right. I've read a press release that they're opening a third fulfilment centre in Dallas, as they already have one in San Francisco and one in Philadelphia.

As for the tax, that is probably a generic inclusion, as shipping between some states doesn't attract tax - for example, my camera store charges sales tax in New York if I'm shipping to New York, but becomes tax free when I'm shipping from New York to Los Angeles, and I've never paid sales tax with shipments to NZ. I've paid sales tax when shipping to YouShop, but that is the rare occasion as Oregon has no sales tax.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I hope that only applies to the orders in Texas. I really don't want to have to budget a few extra dollars for local and state tax everytime I order from them. Hopefully you're right and it's just a generic e-mail.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!