Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Anyone else in a 'use all the things up' mood?

36 posts, 21 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
my whole first year of seeing makeup as a hobby, maybe more, I bought it all. Now, I'm actively panning, giving away and throwing away to pare my collection down to a few things I adore. Replacements are getting less frequent, higher end, and more appreciated.

i don't resent the expenditure on the initial blowouts; I was deciding on my aesthetic I think! But I'm kinda.... over it

pretty sure my family and friends will happily sift through my 'rejects' ;)
tannygirl
3392 posts
I've been in panning mode with what I've got but it doesn't stop me buying if something on my wishlist is available cheaply. But I mainly collect skincare so that's more pannable than makeup.
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
I am going through a 'stuff is doing my head in' phase, so I've been giving away a LOT of stuff that I don't use often, I have a few things I want to buy soon, but I've toned down my spending big time this year
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
As I have 5 draws and a bathroom cupboard dedicated to beauty related items I probably should get into that mindset.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I am, but I'm still in the 'buy all things pretty' stage too. I just don't buy as much as usual.
Ringy
825 posts
yes definitely. I have used up so many things this year. I'm especially keen to use up those little samples. They are way too cluttery! I have bought some new things too- can't help it.  Bu on the whole I am doing pretty well. 
Macs
5351 posts
I am in a get through everything mood. Im trying to get through my xmas lush products still.
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I went through this process a while ago but every now and then the beauty products start creeping up again - mainly due to not using something up before replacing it with an alternative. I am more hesitant to clear it all out now as they are high end products. 
Rezee
1964 posts
I started off the year with this big plan to not buy so much but I'm not doing so great. I totally broke my no shadow buy with a few palettes a couple of months ago. I gave up on panning my naked palette, I was getting frustrated with the lack of progress so I'm just focusing on one palette per month now to try and rotate through palettes that I don't use much.?I haven't been buying as much this year but still more than I need too.I'm just trying my best to get through older products first rather than use my newer ones straight away and I suppose I am thinking a little bit more about purchases and only buying a few things rather than heaps of things that take forever to use.Maybe one day I'll get there, but I can't ever imagine myself only having one of each product. Having a small collection of makeup will probably never be my life again and I think I'm ok with that! 
kirstyj
1732 posts
I'm still in the downsizing mood but I have been a bit discouraged lately as I don't seem to be making it through as many products as I have been in the past which isn't too cool. Also I think I know I'm nearing the end of a few things and I'm going to have to use something I don't like as much before repurchasing the one I do like.

However I have been much better at getting rid of things that I know I'll never use to friends and family rather than just keeping them in my collection.

The one thing I have been really terrible at though is my collection of prodcuts to try is growing! And I don't want to get rid of something without reviewing it. I swear I'll get to them soon.... hopefully
trudijoy
8375 posts
although to be fair i'm in Sydney next week so mine could blow out again.

It's amazing how we keep acquiring - as long as we're enjoying it it's all good imo!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Definitley in a use it up mood. I may have bought some Mother's Day stuff from Lush today though. 
Kimrose
1416 posts
I am being really strict with myself. I have a lot of skin care and make up and as far as the skin care is going I am concentrating on finishing one thing at a time before I start another one. As far as make up is concerned, I have 6 lippys that are close to the end so they are all I am using at the moment. It is so fulfilling finishing something.
charly
456 posts
I'm getting better at giving away things that don't really suit my skin, but it's still hard for me (MONEY WASTED!!!!!!).  But I def am getting better about it. My beauty collection is still embarassingly large though (two bathroom shelves and three drawers in my bedroom - and that's just skincare!!!).

Btw... can I sift through your rejects Trudi? :P
alikat
423 posts
I had my mind blown by something I saw on YouTube today about when product manufacturers recommend throwing something away after first opening (Who else knew about the open jar symbol with the numbers like 3M, 18M, 12M etc?!?!?! I didnt! 3M = 3 months = MIND BLOWN) and I realised that I have three Mac blushes and a Nars blush that I really don't need or use, and whilst my Naked OG palette is looking a tad second hand, I've had it a lot longer than I would like to admit in public so maybe its time to bin it. I cant afford to replace it, but I can always get another palette further down the road.

I'm trying to pan all the things and I did feel a pang of sadness as I hit pan on an LE mac eyeshadow, but they've repromoted it a couple of times, so I can wait I guess until it appears in yet another collection. Part of the pan goals is because I'm going to LA/Vegas at Christmas and I'll be buying a suitcase of makeup so I need to make room and get my moneys worth out of the collection I have.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Already put aside for you and Mum to go through ;)
trudijoy
8375 posts
And yup Ali, knew that and mostly abide by it except for blush and powder products.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I have Mac eyeshadows that I've kept (and still use) for longer than I care to admit to in public! They are absolutely fine. Mascaras I am usually more vigilant with but I really liked the last one I used so kept it for longer. I hate new mascaras and prefer them when they've dried out a wee bit. 
alikat
423 posts
Wow. I just bit the bullet and pulled four blushes, and eyeshadow quad and an eyeshadow single out to sell onwards seeing as I never ever reach for them and I threw out some maybelline colour tattoo shadows that had seen better days. Even threw out some perfumes too.
chikoboo
3402 posts
I have never had this need to use all things up before I buy more, it must be the beauty junkie or secret hoarder in me, there has been times when I have pulled out my blush or primer tray and thought "Do I need x amount of these?" and then I have a mini sort and gift or sell onto others but it has been a very limited amount, I can't seem to part with my pretties, even when they are empty and I do an "empties" I leave them in the can tin for longer than needed. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Yep I have been on a strict project pan this year, largely due to my huge skincare stash. I have not had to buy a single thing so far this year and have collected a large bag of empties. It's second nature now for me, and I'm finding it very imformative. I expect I won't have to buy anything for ages yet too!
Emily-jane
314 posts
I am definitely going through one of those moods at the moment. I had some spare time earlier this week and decided to look though products I have sitting in a draw. On my, so many half used items! I really have a bad habit of collecting similar items and opening the new ones before I finish the old ones up! I am now using up the ends of a few shampoos, body lotions and a facial scrub! 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Nope but I am in a "sell all the things" mood. I'm selling Lush even so you know its serious business ;-) 
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Haha Shaz we must be in the same place - I've just onsold a bunch of wool that was in the 'hold on til it's knit or I'm dead' pile, when I realised that it was just taking up space and the likelihood of me getting a chance to use it in the forseeable future is about zero...
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Ksjc_nz your hair looks AMAZING! I love it :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm with amy! KSJC_NZ YOUR HAIR IS AMAZING! <3
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Thanks Amy & Trudi <3 It's so totally what I was hoping for. Next step - buy new straighteners so it can look like this all the time haha
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahahah omg Kelly I think we're *gasp* adulting hahahahahahahaha (also using yo real name cos I can't remember what letters go in what order for your other name lol). The inner hoarder in me is screaming in agony but shes locked in a padded room :P
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Oh noo.... Shaz does that mean I'm an actual adult now? Feel like I got my first adult hair cut yesterday and now you tell me my decluttering is more adulting! Haha I only remember the order cos its mine and the kids initials in age order LOL
Jesse
745 posts
I've been in a 'use up the things' modd for some time now, downsizing not only beauty products but other things as well. I think it's partly due to Marie Konda's "Spark Joy", where I've been trying to keep things that I like and appreciate, and either using up or discarding items I don't.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
He he he I'm in a 'use all the things up' mood too especially with my Lush stash, I've come to the realisation, well a long time ago ha ha ha, that I have way too much and I need to either use, swap or giveaway the products I'm not so fussed on and stick with the ones I know I love and will always use.  Like Rub Rub Rub for instance, I have nearly used up my second pot and will start my third, this I know I will always use because it's such a great product and works so well with my skin.  The body conditioners and body lotions are not really my thing though, so I need to use those up so I can trial them and then review them lol.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I am using up all the things, and I can't buy anymore to replace them cos I can't afford it, and I also don't know how much longer I'll have an address so no online orders either hahahahaha
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I'm still firmly in this mood - have nearly filled a Farmers bag with empties. Mostly skincare though.
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Hope it's a happy choice you're making shaz? Come live with me lol, the kids can bribe you with baking hehe
shazatron101
5112 posts
Very happy choice :-D although that little curly haired human can bribe me with baking any day :-P
ragingfrog
1289 posts
This is a work in progress. I make progress through the collection with 1 item then replace it with 2 items. Failing miserably but as I have a goal in place and no place to hold stuff I might get a little further soon.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!